• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello, new member here

Hello all! i am so glad that this forum exists. I've had CD for 22 years (I was 15 when diagnosed). Being diagnosed with this disease in my teens, there was not a lot of info and i did not take it seriously so I did not take good care of myself. I ended up with a perforation/rupture in my small bowel and almost died because i was so septic. I was 23 at the time and very lucky. They removed 18" of small bowel, my ileum and appendix. Unfortunately though, the rupture ruined my reproductive system so i was never able to have children (we adopted a little boy from the state). Before the perforation, I experienced severe arthritis in my joints, especially my wrists. I was actually on Asacol when the perforation occurred. I was under a GI's care but she apparently missed this in the tests done just a few months prior. I was still under the belief that doctors knew it all. that was a shock.

After that, I took my disease much more serious. I have since experienced a perianal abscess caused by a fistula and have a seton in place. Then, just last year, my fallopian tubes and ovaries became so infected I had to have a complete hysterectomy. I also had a narrowing again in my small bowel so in the same surgery, i had a few more of inches of my small bowel removed. I never went back on any medication after my first surgery, i just tried to keep the flare-ups at bay by watching what i ate. That worked for a while but that is no longer the case.

Just in the last couple of weeks, I have experienced severe pain, along with all the other symptoms related to this disease. I think this flare up was triggered by an antibiotic my dentist put me on as I needed a root canal on a tooth and then a crown placement. He was aware I had CD but prescribed me Clindamycin. That is when it all went downhill. I am now in a full flare-up with the arthritis pain in all my joints. I recently swtiched GI doctors and found one that will finally talk to me. I am now gearing up for Remicade in the next couple of weeks. I'm apprehensive but it seems that everyone's experience or reactions (if any) vary from person to person. I just want some relief. I also work full time and thankfully, I have a very understanding boss.

Thanks for listening and feel free to write me. I'm the only one in my family and friends that has this disease so when things go bad, it is very difficult to explain it to them. It is nice to come on this forum and know I am not alone.

Wish me luck with the Remicade! Otherwise, it will be Humira. I'm on Apriso right now, but i do not think it is helping much.

thanks!

sillymom

Terriernut

So very glad you are here! Welcome! Certainly sounds like you've found the right GI, and that's half the battle.

There are Remicade sub forums on here, so have a good nose around.

I sure hope they get your flare under control ASAP. I'm good at ignoring things too, hence, I have Stan.

Good luck with the treatment it sounds like you could do with a break. I just wanted to add I also had a perforation and before I did I had a really sore left wrist for ages!! I wonder if there's a connection.

@Archie - although the doctors never want to give a difinitive answer as to why certain symptoms creep up, i had read early on that arthritis was one of the symptoms or signs of active crohns. Just recently (within the last two years) i have also had some patches of really dry skin around my nose. My dermatologist said it was sebhorric dermatitis (sp?) which can also be attributed to active crohns.

thanks for the welcome :)

Hiya sillymom! Welcome to the forum :)

It sounds like you've had a lovely time with this darn disease. Clindamycin? Your dentist needs a brain check. That particular antibiotic is pretty well known for being associated with IBD symptoms/patients.

I'm very glad you're boss is understanding. So many people here have to struggle with jobs, because of their disease. I'm also glad you're getting put on Remicade :) Good luck, and keep us posted.

David

Co-Founder
You told your dentist you have Crohn's and he still gave you Clindamycin?!

Grrrrrrr!

I'd personally lawyer up. That's inexcusable. Let him pay for the Remicade.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! :)

David, i know! lol i couldn't believe it either. It actually triggered me to go to the pharmacy (CVS) and I spoke with the pharmacist. I asked him to please flag my account that i have crohns so the next time some doctor or dentist doesn't pay attention or care, the pharmacy might be able to catch it. I stay with one pharmacy for all my scripts for this reason. That is when it all began. I'm just too trusting that other doctors know anything about my disease, even if to know enough would mean they might want to consult with GI before prescribing me anything. That's 80% of this battle sometimes is getting all my treating docs, no matter what the treat, to be mindful of my disease, even though I just told him twice and it's in my chart. :)