• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi everyone, I'm (sort of) new!

Hi, I'm Claudia,
I'm 24, I've been a member for a year but only just summoned up enough courage to post for the first time! I don't know anyone else with IBD and its hard to talk to friends about it so hopefully I can get more involved on here as I've already found it really helpful to read about everyone's experiences :thumleft:

I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2009 after I suddenly developed serious pain in my guts shortly after leaving Uni and moving to a new area. (hmmm ...I suspect stress may have been involved...)
Doctor put me on Pentasa (useless :yrolleyes:) followed by Azathioprine and Prednisalone which stopped my symptoms quite quickly and gave me a full year totally free from pain (woohoo!) but did make quite a lot of my hair decide to give up and fall out (boo!).

Hair grew back, I got on with my life until October 2010 when my insides decided they hated me again and I was put back on Pred and onto 6MP which had practially no effect on me :thumbdown:
So I spent my New Years Eve in hospital and started on Infiximab (Remicade) which almost instantly made me feel a million times better!

However I only managed 3 infusions before the symptoms returned and I was admitted to hospital in March 2011 for emergency surgery. Turns out I also had a grumbling appendix which had worsened my symptoms (has this happened to anyone else?) so they took 1/4 of my large bowel (and appendix), some small bowel and left me with a temporary Ileostomy.

Still waiting for my reversal which should have been any day now but I'm starting to develop those pesky painful symptoms again :sign0085:

Anyway thats my story, sorry to ramble on for so long!

HI Claudia, Welcome back to the forum, i have had IBD(Crohn's) for 21 years now and counting. i am sorry about your surgeries. and having spent time in the hospital new years eve. But, that's the worst thing about IBD you don't when it's going to strike. And it's a punishing blow. i am sorry your still having troubles with you IBD. i hope things will sort themselves out and soon so you can your life back. it's a long hard road but you can do it just take it one day at a time. The forum is here to support you. Post when you want to vent or looking for support. you can ask as many questions as you like. and i am sure the forum will respond. This place is like family to me now and when i need support i come here. this forum is full of great people and a world full of knowledge. Not like other sites you will find on the web.i hope you will feel better soon and again nice to meet you. Best wishes.:hug:

David

Co-Founder
Hi Claudia! I'm glad you finally decided to post and tell us your story :)

You mentioned that Aza helped quite a bit. Once your symptoms diminished, did you stop taking it?

Anyway, keep on posting, you did great! And we're here for you any time.

*hugs*

Astra

Hiya Claudia
and welcome

Glad you stopped lurking! I bet you know us all already!
You've been thro a lot, you poor love, hopefully the next round of intervention will be The One'
We'll see you around, keep posting!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi Claudia! I'm glad you finally decided to post and tell us your story :)

You mentioned that Aza helped quite a bit. Once your symptoms diminished, did you stop taking it?

Anyway, keep on posting, you did great! And we're here for you any time.

*hugs*
David, Aza definitely helped me a lot (even though I was on a relatively low dose) but the doctor stopped it as soon as my symptoms faded because of the hair loss issue and I was put on a maintenance dose of Pentasa.

Thanks everyone, its nice to know that there are other people out there with advice and tips when I need a bit of help!
Nice to meet you :D