• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bone Loss?

allieinwonder

Hey everyone,

I have noticed lately that I seem to be losing bone. I didn't notice much because I wasn't buying shoes, but since I got back from Germany I have replaced a lot of stuff and I noticed that my feet are much smaller than they used to be. I went from an 8.5 to a 6.5 in about a year. I didn't have any fat on my feet that could have been lost, so I don't think that's why my feet have changed.

Also on the bone issue, my bones seem to be easily breaking as well. I had never broken a bone before my digestive symptoms got serious, and now I've broken a big toe, my right hand index finger, and my right elbow.

I also have pain in my wrists persistently, which I use Bio-freeze (menthol cooling stuff) and it seems to help so that I can crochet.

Has anyone has this issue? I did some research, because I really didn't think feet should shrink, and I found some info on osteoporosis.

Has anyone had these kind of issues before?

I'm at a loss here! Thanks for the help!

I'm on Actonel due to bone loss/density loss from frequent Prednisone courses, so yeah, it can happen. I've also shrunk an inch in height since my early 20s.

allieinwonder

Thanks for the quick reply. :) I'm currently undiagnosed, so I haven't been on Pred or anything like that. I haven't checked my height, but I'm going to request that be measured at my next doctors appointment. I'm 5'2"...I can't lose any height! O.O I'm small enough as it is! :p With the research I did yesterday (the very little I did) it said Crohn's patients can get it because they don't absorb the nutrients needed to keep bone at the correct density. It fits I guess...once I get my pill cam results I plan on going to a Rheumy to see whats going on.

Absorption issues can cause it too, yep.

I can't believe you don't have your pill cam results yet. That's crap.

I take it colonoscopy was inconclusive?

allieinwonder

Yeah, it was inconclusive. I did it with an internist in Germany, who just wanted to do the colonoscopy and that was it. I didn't get any details of the test, and his conclusion was to take some antacids. ~.~ It was very frustrating. I have had some really bad luck with trying to get this diagnosed. :(

Not to be nosy, but why not get a colonoscopy from a GI who knows what he's doing? Sounds like the internist was hasty, from your description.

It's pretty inhumane how long they're making you wait for a pill cam interpretation.

allieinwonder

Yeah, it is. My dad keeps saying its against the hypocratic oath. He left for a trip two days after the test, and just got back on the first. They refused to have another GI look at the pictures and give me my results.

The GI that I was seeing in Germany refused to do another colonoscopy because he felt like it was too soon and that he wouldn't find anything. My pain is in the upper left quadrant, and when I had my SBFT I had the radiologist go over the spot, and it is a bunch of twisted small bowel that is located there. The section that the scopes can't see, which is why they did the pill cam. We are pretty sure they are going to see damage with that test...they are just taking their sweet time!! I also was hospitilized for "bowel inflammation" (the ER in Germany said they could feel my hard bowel by hand and admitted me quickly), but when they did the upper endoscopy they cut too deep for the biopsies and caused internal bleeding. So when I was prepping for the colonoscopy, I was throwing everything back up, including blood. I got through it somehow but they still refused to do the colonoscopy, and then one of the GI's decided that I must have "irritable colon" because I am married to a US soldier, and said there was no reason for me to be there. So I packed up and waited to leave, then the head GI told me I should probably stay because he disagreed with the other GI. At that point I was so emotionally drained I wanted to go home, and we agreed I would come back and do the pill cam as an outpatient procedure. Well, the US military doctors disagreed and made me wait 8 months for them to do it instead. And thats where I'm at now.

Sorry that is so long...but that's pretty much whats happened and why I'm still waiting. I know the little amount of tests they have done have come back normal, but IBS would not cause everything that I am going through. :( Doctors really haven't treated me well and it sucks!

Wow! That is a lot to go through. If you are worried about your bones I would definitely see a GP as soon as you can. Get a DEXA scan and some blood tests. In the meantime make sure you take calcium and vitamin D.

I hope they give you some results and get you some treatment soon. I can't believe the crappy way you have been treated. *hugs*

Do you get exercise? That can make a big difference to your bones. Although it can be tricky if you are vitamin/nutrient deficient and your bones are so brittle like you're saying.

I have osteopenia due to so many courses of predisone and poor absorption and low vitamin D issues. I've had 2 DEXA tests that show the low bone density. I haven't had a fracture yet (knock on wood) but I'm worried about shrinking as I get older, since I'm only 5"1'.

I agree with the advice to exercise. Even walking is good to help build bone mass, and make sure you get good shoes.

In your shoes, I'd probably talk to my GP about my concerns and go from there.

allieinwonder

Thanks for the advice guys. :) I am going to see someone about it as soon as I get these pill cam results. I walk my dog, but that's the only exercise I get. I will try and add some more in to try and help!

Carrie630

The Prettiest Princess
I shrank two inches when I was a teenager, but I haven't since. I need to have a bone density test, but it seems like none of my doctors are thinking of it so I just need to ask for it. My vitamin D was less than 10 a little over a year ago, and I take 5000UI of D3 a day now. When I first started the D therapy the bone pain was ridiculously intense. It's not as bad now, but I know these are warning signs to check for osteopenia.