Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Stretch marks - Ahh!

09-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
scotishcanadian

Stretch marks - Ahh!

Alright, so I've been on prednisone before, and have NEVER experienced stretch marks the way I have/am this time from the prednisone. My sides, thighs, shins, and now even my arms are starting to develop them. And they hurt like all get out too! It looks like a tiger got ahold of me and clawed me to ribbons with how thick some of them are. It will have almost been a year straight that I've been on the prednisone in a month or so.

Has/is anyone else experiencing these terrible, terrible things? :X
Current Meds: Morphine (as needed occasionally), Pheneregan, and LDN.
09-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Ooh, that sounds painful! I don't think I got stretch marks from Pred, or if I did they were pretty minor.

I know there are a lot of treatments out there for them that are more or less useless, but using one might make you feel a bit better about it.

According to wikipedia:

a daily application of a cream containing Gotu Kola extract and vitamin E was associated with fewer stretch marks during pregnancy. Another study, though lacking a placebo control, examined a cream (Verum) containing vitamin E, panthenol, hyaluronic acid, elastin and menthol. It was associated with fewer stretch marks during pregnancy versus no treatment.
I know this isn't caused by pregnancy but hormone changes will probably react similarly. What dose of Pred are you taking and how much longer are you on it? I hope your skin heals or at least becomes a little more comfortable.
09-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
scotishcanadian

I'm on 40 mg a day and hopefully will be able to start weening mid October once I find out if I recieved placebo or stem cells in a stem trial that I'm part of right now. And thank-you for the article. I even looked up skin grafting for when all of this is over, but all of the articles that I read said that the scarring from the grafting would be worse than the stretch marks. :\
10-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Wizbit

My Support Groups:
I have slight stretch marks around my midriff… probably because of yo-yoing between 10 and 14 stone (140 - 196lb) over the past 5 years due to either Crohn's or my medication. I'm hoping they'll fade in time…
10-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
donna1980

I got them too, not quite as severe as yours by the sounds of it, but got them on my arms and legs
10-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
StarGirrrrl

My Support Groups:
Bio-oil works wonders for stretch marks (I can personally vouch for this) and it also works on scars too. If you shop around online or on eBay you can get good deals on it.
2014 IDA & low B12.

June 2014 admitted to Hospital 3 nights as emergency transfused 2 units of blood. Dangerous case of anaemia.
Caught by pure chance!
Cause currently unknown but suspected CD.

Waiting on blood & stool results from January.

Hoping to stop anaemia treatment soon & lower B12 daily dose!
10-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
scotishcanadian

Bio-oil works wonders for stretch marks (I can personally vouch for this) and it also works on scars too. If you shop around online or on eBay you can get good deals on it.
I found this listing of it when I searched it on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIO-OIL-2-ou...item336b75e39d

Is that a good price or can I find cheaper? How long will 2 ounces last me? Can you describe to me a bit more about your experience with it since I don't want to get a product that won't work for me? Thanks in advance! :]
10-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
Oh goodness I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you.
It sounds like exactly what happened to my daughter ! I felt/feel so bad for her because they "appeared" everywhere over night
I can also attest for the BioOil as well because it has done wonders for Gab's stretch marks and they are barely noticeable now
I say go get it like yesterday!
Good luck
and Austin (18)
DX: Crohn's 7/2013

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Prednisone/Entocort » Stretch marks - Ahh!