Share Facebook

09-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Hockey players & Crohns

Hoping for some thoughts from hockey players (soccer, rugby will probably have similar experiences)...

My son, 17 years, plays competitive hockey and, as he was just diagnosed in May, this will be his first season playing while dealing with Crohns. He also plays on his school team. I don't think position means much re physical demands but he plays centre on one team and defense on the other. He's captain of one team and assistant on the other and plays on the PP and PK lines on both teams, so, like most of the kids, he feels that he always needs to give 150%.

They have just started ramping up their preseason training in preparation for a tournament. At Sunday's and Monday's practice, there were boys, including my son, actually getting sick at the bench from the intensity of the training. I realize that most of the boys are a bit out of shape after summer, however, realistically the intensity won't lessen, the boys will just gradually get in shape and meet the demands. Once the season is in full swing, he will be on the ice 5 to 7 times per week.

His Crohns is stable right now and he has gained all the weight he initially lost, plus some.

I would really appreciate some insight from those who have played sports at this frequency/intensity. Did you find that you had to lessen your involvement at all? Did you find that you need to make changes to diet, sleep to accommodate the needs? Did you have any crohns related problems that you think came from the physical demands? I'm also concerned about the checking and hitting - was this a problem at all with the Crohns?

I don't think there's much hope in him voluntarily turning down his intensity but, hopefully with some insight/experience, I can watch for any issues.

Thanks
09-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey Tess,

I can't really answer your question as Matt's soccer doesn't involve that many games a week. He only managed to get the last 6 weeks of the season in this year, it has just finished. Having said that he was training two nights and weeks and playing two back to back men's games, one in second division and one in first division, so hard, fast, physical games.

Matt is in remission now and his first game back he certainly felt it and probably for the next two weeks but after that it was like nothing had changed from last year when he was playing 3 games on a Saturday.

Matt hasn't adjusted his sleep, no actually I think he is probably more mindful of not burning the candle at both ends, or diet and the psychological benefits to him are plain to see. He had adjusted his school/uni workload though at the beginning of the year and this has given the most free time he has ever had so perhaps that has been a help to him on the sport side of things, not sure though. He has had no Crohns issues since recommencing sport and he is now looking to a twilight or indoor comp over the summer.

Dusty. xxx
09-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Thanks Dusty,

Good to know the Crohns didn't impact Matt's ability to meet the physical demands of the sport (as my daughter plays competitive soccer too, I know that the demands are equal to, if not more, than the hockey... ssshhh, don't let my son hear this! LOL)

But, am very relieved that you didn't notice any adverse impact on Matt. After these two practices and seeing the boys getting sick (crohns and no crohns!!!), I was a bit worried that it might put too much stress on his body. Hopefully, Stephen will also accept that he may need a bit more 'rest' between practices/games!

He's in a tournament this weekend and, if he makes the finals, will play 5 games between Thurs and Sunday. Just wish the season were starting a bit lighter though...
09-14-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I hear ya Tess! I'd preferred Matt to ease into it as well but noooooooo, first week back he played back to back games. You so want to see them return to something they love with a passion BUT you just wish they would take easy!

Good luck with the tournament hun, I hope all goes well with both his health and his games! Keep us posted on how things go.

Dusty. xxx
09-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
They just NEVER do it the way we'd like, do they? LOL My son is sooooo antsy waiting for his season to start!! And, honestly, as much as I may complain that my whole life revolves around arenas and fields, I wouldn't have it any other way!

I just really, really hope there are no issues for him. He would be so disappointed if his Crohn's held him back... especially given that this is his last year in the youth league and his school team.

We can just hope for the best!

(My daughter plays indoor soccer as well... they just never stop, eh? LOL)
09-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
jordan29

Hi Tess Tell Stephen good luck with his tournament let us no how he gets on ant tell him to get some early nights xxx
09-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Thanks! Will let you know how it goes! He's very excited! Our hockey club is sponsoring the tournament so the pressure's on for the home teams to win! LOL Stephen knows I cringe at each hit but he insists on telling me over and over that this is THE year he's going to 'slam', 'clock' and I can't even remember all the other words that all mean the same thing - there's going to be hitting! Ughh! LOL I swear he loves to see me suffer!
09-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
jordan29

I feel it for you with Stephen been a player I cringe when they get hit one thing with Jordan his team mates are very protective of him in games tell Stephen to stay safe over the weekend and no roughing or fighting penilties lol xxx
09-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
CDN_Crohns

Back in highschool (4 years ago now) I played rugby, taught gymnastics and ball hockey as well as being on the cross-country and track teams. I usually had practice before school, at lunch and after school as well as work 3-4 nights a week.

I was diagnosed when I was 11 so I had my routine pretty much down by the time high school came around but I never saw crohn's as a major obstacle from participation in sports. I did however try to get as much sleep as possible and eat only things that agreed with me.

I wish your son the best and luck and hope to hear that all things go well this hockey season.

goodluck!
09-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Thanks Cdn-Crohns! Wow, you certainly had a lot going on!!! Glad to hear it certainly didn't hold you back at all! How did you ever get school work done? Again, thanks for replying, it does alleviate some of my concerns that his hockey would be too much for him.

He survived and even won the tournament. He wasn't playing as per his usual during the first two games and was getting pretty frustrated (I'm sure it was due to the fact that these were his first games and not to Crohns). But, he came back in the 3rd game, scoring 3 goals and went all out after that! Came out of it with a sore back, charley horse and tired but, overall, pretty good after 5 games. (Doesn't seem to be having any Crohn's symptoms! At least, not any he's told me about!)
09-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
jordan29

Hi Tess tell Stephen well done for winning the tournament he has done really well to get through all them games xxx
09-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Thanks Jordan29!

How is Jordan's season going? Has his actual season started yet? Our first season game is tomorrow and then it goes on (and on and on... LOL ).

11-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
lumberjack

Theo Fleury ex NHL pro also has Crohn's.
11-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
monkey

My Support Groups:
I played a pretty high standard of Rugby Union (Murrayfield for cup finals 2 years running ) up til my knee gave way . . . CD was happily in remission, no worries at all! The alcohol and pies consumed afterwards led to a little light rectal entertainment but my body soon decided I'd be better with water
This was also at a time I worked 40 hours a week, was doing a degree, kickboxing, playing netball and living 60miles from the rugby training field . . . hardcore, but young bodies somehow take this stuff . . . . . said by an old bird
Hope all goes well with him!!