• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Forum

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 5 years ago now. It took 2 years to finally get a diagnosis. I was told basically my symptoms were in my head and that I was suffering from IBS. Thankfully my GP's knew I was suffering from more than IBS and thought my corner!

Since my initial diagnosis, I have developed eye problems, Inflammatry and reactive Arthritis which causes pain in my hip, knees, fingers, wrists, elbows, toes, back and the ball of my foot. I also have Bile reflux. For the past twelve months I have had frequent throat infections (which I've just had surgery for) and have been unable to shift the EBV virus. I have developed a curvature of my spine which is causing me a lot of pain and discomfort. I suffer a lot from pretty debilitating fatigue (which is problematic as I have children)

Recently I have just been told that I have adhesions in my abdomen, some of which have stuck my ovary to my bowel. I have also been told that I have several nodes and thickening of several areas in my abdomen. This has been put down as being a result of my UC. Yet after speaking to my consultant he said that you would normally find this in people with Chrohns and not UC.

I was wondering if any of this is familiar to any of you. I have heard of people being misdiagnosed before, and wondering if this is what's happened in my case. Are there anyone with UC that have these other manifestations, or similiar story's, I would love to hear from you.

I am due to have a colonoscopy on the 3rd of October to see if it is Chrohns or not (which I am not looking forward to!) and then we will go from there.

Hi! :welcome: So sorry to hear that your IBD is giving you so many problems, especially since you have kids to take care of!

I was dx'd with IBD when I was 8, and for a lot of years my GI docs weren't comfortable saying for sure if it was UC or Crohn's (I don't remember the specifics off the top of my head). It was only 2 yrs ago that my current GI was confident in giving me a Crohn's dx (via colonoscopy biopsies).

I'm not familiar with the complications you're having, but I wanted to say "welcome" (and so-sorry-about-the-prep!!!!!!!!)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! Unfortunately, I have read many stories of people being first diagnosed with UC to later find out it is actually CD. I sure hope you'll get an official answer after your colonoscopy.

I have a colonoscopy next week, and like you, not looking forward to either! The prep is the worst part, of course. But no other test provides better results. Good luck with your upcoming procedure and let us know how it goes!