• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed in July 2011

My names is Alexis, I'm 19 year old and just diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in July 2011. I have been through hell and back trying to get diagnosed. During my highschool years I always had severe stomach issues and diarrhea, but no one thought anything of it. During my senior year of high school I was going through hell with my bowel movements...either 10x times a day or not at all for WEEKS. My pediatrician suggested I may be slightly anemic and passed off the bowel problems as constipation and my diet.

After graduation in Massachusetts, I moved to North Carolina with my mom and got a full time job. Before I knew it I was literally a medical emergency. Hospitals and ER's every week to everyday. I had broken out with HUGE sores and bumps all over my legs. I went to the ER and was admitted for severe Iron Deficiency Anemia. The bumps were diagnosed as Erythema Nodosum, both of which can be indicators of Crohn's Disease. Whiy I was never tested...who knows.

After SEVERE flare ups of the VERY painful Erythema Nodosum an ER doctor suggested it could be a gastro issue and referred me to a GI doctor. In the meantime he prescribed Prednisone, which became my best friend for the next few weeks until my Gastro appointment. I finally see the Gastro doctor who immediately suggests it's Crohns Disease after feeling the tenderness in my right side accompanied by the Erythema Nodosum and Amemia. She schedules an emergency CT scan. After the scan, I get a call from my panicked doctor telling my to go admit myself at the nearest hospital. She proceeded to tell me I had a perforated bowel and need emergency surgery. This was the longest hospital stay yet. I did not in fact have a perf, I had Crohn's Disease which was diagnosed after weeks of not eating and many hospital tests.

To make a longer story short, I'm now on Asacol, Prednisone, another type of steroid, pain meds and still have no relief. I'm being switched to Cimzia within the next couple weeks. I'd like to hear your experiences with this medication, I've heard many bad things but am willing to give anything a try for some relief. Thanks for listening and I'd love to hear from you guys!

Alexis

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:bigwave: hi Alexis, I can't help you with your symptoms but I have had crohns many years, and everyone suffers differently and meds affect us all differently. We dont have Cimzia here, and a few have in the US, so they will come to your rescue. Most of the biologics have helped some, it could be for you. Prednisone is a bone robber so make sure you have enough calcium and Vitamin D3 to absorb it. Hope you get relief soon, welcome to the forum!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Alexis! I am sorry about your recent diagnosis, but I am glad you finally got some answers. I sure hope Cimzia does the trick. I don't have any experience with this treatment, but I think you'll find the Cimzia subform helpful. Good luck!!

Hey Alexis, welcome! I don't have experience with that med, either, but Prednisone has been a huge relief in times of crisis for me in the past also.

It's a lot that you're dealing with and you seem to be really level headed and doing your best to take care of yourself. It's very admirable and I wish you the best in your continued path to feeling better and better! (hugs!)

Thanks for the comments guys :D I'm more than excited to start Cimzia even after reading the side effects, I'll do just about anything to get rid of this pain. Right now Tramadol and Prednisone are my 2 life savers. In the beggining I was being pretty level headed about this diagnosis but the past week has been such a disaster. These Crohn's disease support groups are honestly the only things keeping me going. I can't even go to work or out to dinner without wanting to cry in pain. I'm getting reallly depressed and the mental breakdowns are happening more often.

Alexis

I've been diagnosed in July too! Anywayz i just got off Modulen IBD diet and it really works, no problem with diarrhea or that stuff, no abdominal pains or anything! Right now i started with eating and its all okay, i will continue drinking that Modulen cause its good stuff! Right now im on Imuran, pentasa and Controloc. I wish yoou all the best in the future without any complications:)

brieyourbest

Cimzia Forum Monitor
Hey Alexis!

I was just diagnosed in April and I am currently taking Cimzia. Let me tell you, it is a life saver, but do remember that everyone's Crohn's Disease is different and reacts differently to medication.

But ever since this April people thought I would not be returning to my school to finish my degree and I am here, thanks to God and Cimzia. I still have a little discomfort sometimes but NOTHING like what I had before. And I was in the hospital every month since April for at least a week and then on bedrest for the rest of the month.

My advice for you: Keep pushing until you find what works for you.

Crohnie Love!