• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

1994 Study suggests efficacy of LDN for Crohn's

Here's something you might find interesting. A study published in "Brain, Behavior, and Immunity" from 1994 found that beta-endorphin levels in people with Crohn's Disease are roughly half of everyone else, and could cause the systemic inflammation in the disease.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7865897

Low-dose naltrexone (LDN) serves to boost the natural production of endorphins by up to 300%. More endorphins means less pain, inflammation, anxiety, and depression.

Other ways to increase endorphin levels include shenmen point acupuncture, rigorous exercise, eating hot foods containing capsaicin (i.e. chili peppers), taking D-Phenylalanine supplements, and having sex. Clearly, some options are more attractive than others! LOL

Another interesting article... this one shows that while mu-opiod receptor expression is increased in IBD patients, dosing with an opiate results in less intestinal inflammation due to the dampened expression of TNF-alpha. This is important because LDN binds preferentially to the mu-opiod receptor too, which suggests a similar phenomenon could occur with LDN as in the study.

Incidentally, TNF-alpha suppression is the goal of the current first lines of treament, such as Remicade, Humira, and Cimzia, as well as Enbrel.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16299031

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there welcome. LDN is not new around here,there have been many and have failed. But like any med or natural we all should embrace anything that will work for you. Our Dan Bergy expert lol, he knows alot about this. He believes this to be true.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks, Pen.

No, it's not new, but it is underrated. Especially as a treatment that has no ill side effects, unlike Prednisone and the monoclonal antibody drugs, to name a few. I know it doesn't work for everybody... I doubt that CD is the result of only one etiology, but rather the manifestation of possibly many chemical imbalances.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey I have tried everything and almost tried LDN but then my crohns settled down. Hate popping pills in my mouth.

You are welcome...DAN where are you ???? :lol: