• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

17 year old and i have Crohn!

So, let me introduce myself first. My name is Bruno and im from Croatia, small country in central Europe near the Adriatic sea. Im 17 years old and im 3rd grade in high school. I just wanna say that i apologize if my english and grammar are bad, forgive me. Lets start - I've been diagnosed with Crohn's disease this year in July. The school has finished and i was so happy about it, let the summer 2011 start. First stomach pain that i felt was on 18th may, exactly on my birthday! Since then, i've been suffering from abdominal pains and i couldnt determine where's the pain coming from. I went to my doctor and she said that i have some virus or bacteria and she gave me some medicines and i had to go on diet cause i had a problems with diarrhea and constipation. I've been using medicines that she described for over a 2 weeks and i got my blood test and she said that its nothing serious, just bacteria or something. But, the pain didnt stop. After a month and a half of different diets and medicines i finally went to a hospital. There, i've done blood test and urine and i had to tell the doctor all the symptoms that i had. After a 10 minutes of talking she said that i probably have Crohns. I wasnt that shocked as my parents were cause i knew in the beginning that i maybe have Crohns after a lot of research on internet cause i have one friend who has ulcerative colitis and his doctors didnt know if its Crohns or Ulcerative so i began to research about that 2 diseases cause i was interested about what he has. So, i told my parents in the beginning that i have Crohns but they reacted like: oh shut up, are you crazy? stop saying that, you dont have it!
Well, i guess i have it though. Anywayz, i had to be hospitalized and i stayed at hospital for 10 days. I had to do colonoscopy, digital rectal examination, gastroscopy, gut passage, examination of bone density, ultrasound of the abdomen and at the end a conversation with a psychologist. Gastroscopy and colonoscopy tests showed that I had inflammation in the esophagus, stomach, small intestine and colon - Its Crohns unfortunately, they said. My mum had tears in her eyes, as well as my dead but i, i was lying there on my bed, shocked and smiling like i havent heard what the doctors have said at all. Today, i still dont have feeling that i have Crohns, that i have something else, like i dont wanna admit to myself that i have it. And i think that's a good thing cause probably if id admit to myself that, id fall on the ground and cry cause im very emotional inside but i dont show that side of me. So after 10 days spent in hospital they finally let me go but it was one BIG decision in front of me. Doctors gave me 2 options: 8 weeks on Nestle Modulen IBD ( enteral nutrition ) or corticosteroids. Im a fighter so i've chosen Nestle Modulen IBD cause even if its 8 weeks a lot without food its a better option cause it doesnt have any side effects while the corticosteroids have - it makes you inflated, fat and you can get acne all over your face and you become hairy. When i got out from hospital me and my family went on coast side, on island Rab where we have another house and we spend every year summer there. My first control review was on 12th August and i got out on 28th July. The blood results were amazing even after 2 weeks on Modulen. Second control was on 12th September, so it was last week and i had to be hospitalized again cause i had to begin with food intake. My blood results again were amazing and i had to do gastroscopy again and guess what?! There is not any single change in the esophagus, stomach and small intestine, as well in the colon. I was so happy so as the doctors were! :)
I stayed at hospital for 4 days and only thing that i was doing there is eating. Fortunately, i havent had any reactions on food as i had at the beginning of the disease ( abdominal pain, diarrhea ). Now, im at home, finally, and im happy that i dont have lie in that uncomfortable bed in hospital. I dont go to school either cause i got a 9 day food menu that i have to follow ( breakfast, lunch, dinner ) + Modulen IBD with it. I've read that many people have problems with drinking Modulen, i dont! I really like it, its sweet and i prefer it cold, and i make it for myself - i dont allow my mother to do that work :p
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, at the beginning when i got out from hospital i august i had to drink two and a half liters of modulen every day, without any food combined with it - just water! And i made it trough 8 weeks, im proud of myself. With every day a dose of Modulen is getting lower, now im on 1600 milliliters. When i will finally finish with Modulen and start to eat normal again, i will drink 500 milliliters per day cause doctors say that Modulen is a good thing and you maybe will not go in a hospital for a long time, cause it makes the disease go into sleep mode. Cause we all know that our dear scientists and doctors havent found a cure yet, and the disease is incurable. Anywayz, i just wanna mention that when i first started eating food in hospital, i was afraid cause i havend had a single bite of food for two months and i was scared that symptoms may come back, but they didnt! Right now, im writing this in my bedroom, im eating my lunch ( cooked white meat, rice, chicken soup ) and if anyone have any questions id like to hear them and maybe help you cause the treatments are not everywhere the same, so if you're not satisfied with your medicines, try modulen! oh yeah, i drink 8 and a half tablets per day. Im on Controloc cause i have chronic gastritis ( 1 tablet in the morning half an our before breakfast ), Imuran Azathioprine ( 2 and a half tablets per day ) and Pentasa Mesalazine ( 5 tablets per day - one in the morning, two after lunch, and two after dinner ) Pentasa is for smal intestine. Anyways, i hope that my disease will sleep for a long time ( whole life i wish ) and that i wont have big problems with it like operations and that scary things cause i get depressed when i have to lie in the hospital.
Thats my story, i hope you get it all! Write some comments and post, and if you wanna talk to me just message me in inbox or something.

And wee can do it, we can fight against that stupid disease and sure, we can live with it! We just have to be strong and think positive! I believe in you guys as i believe in my self and i have faith! Take care and keep posting commenst. Till next time, Bruno. ^^ :dance:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi Bruno,

Glad you found this site! And am very happy things are working out for you! My son was also diagnosed in May, just a bit before his 17th birthday. He also did 6 weeks of formula feeding; like you, he had the option of steroids or the formula but he also didn't want the side effects from the steroids... We don't have the formula you can drink in Canada so he had his through an NG tube (tube through his nose) and, so far, he has also responded well to this treatment.

There are lots of knowledgeable people on this site, so don't hesitate to ask any questions. There are also lots of teens; there's a subforum for teens only as well.

Good luck! I hope all continues well for you! :thumleft:

thank you very much for informations! Yeah, we teenagers are very curious. Aw, my doctor wanted to put a some kind of a probe into my nose cause she thought that i wouldnt be able to drink that Modulen! But i said NO! And i made it. Send greetings to your son:)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Hi Bruno,

Welcome to the forum! It sure seems like you an eventful summer... I am glad that the treatment is working though! I think you are right in thinking positive as I think that stressing about our health, our situation or anything else can only have a negative impact on our condition.

Hope treatment continues to work well and glad to have you as a member of the community :).

Crohn's Mom

Hi Bruno :)

It sounds like you have an wonderful and positive attitude towards life, and that in itself will do wonders for your healing process!
I'm so glad for you that the modulen therapy has worked so well; you are right, the steroids can have some nasty side effects, so it's nice for you that you are able to avoid them so far.
I'm sure you will be a great asset to others around the forum. So welcome and we hope you stick around !
best wishes,
~T~

Aw im glad that you've read this and thank you very much for your support! I will stick around as much as i can! Btw, you're from Florida - My dream destination! I hope my Crohn and your Crohn could meet one day and have a little chat! Till then, enjoy the life! :)

Spooky1

Hi, Bruno

i think you've coped very will with the diagnosis. i'm amazed that you drank the modulen. i had this for quite a long while, but it wen't down the tube in my nose/stomach. i now have Perative, another liquid food, and that goes through the tube in my abdomen and into the stomach. i think you're really considerate preparing your own modulen, but i also think your parents need to come to terms with your crohns, if you have it, then you have it. you cannot help that and they must understand how crohns can be for you. but really you are very positive and have a great attitude.

well done, and of course, welcome to the forum.

best wishes
Diane

i cant believe how people cant drink that thing! I love it! And im scared of that tube so i will do anything just to not have it in my nose. Yes, my mum and dad take care about me and my disease, dont worry but they are very busy so i have to make that Modulen for myself - so i can make it easier for them do not worry about that ! Best wishes for that another drink you drink and i hope it will go very weell, without any complications! Thanks for support :thumleft:

Tesscorm

Staff member
You've got such a great attitude!! As Crohn's Mom said, your attitude will certainly always help you! Crohns or not! :D

I hope the modulen keeps working for you! So far, it has helped my son and his treatment is to continue for at least one year (but with food as well).

Look forward to seeing you around the forum! :bigwave:

Hi Bruno! I can't believe you like that Modulen stuff! I had to drink Peptamen for a year as a kid and I HATED it. I'm happy for you, because it sounds like you are staying positive and upbeat throughout this whole experience which can be the hardest part of having a Crohn's flare. Good luck, and keep reading this forum, there is so much useful information here!

I like it i dont know why, its tasty ! :p
thank you for your best wishes, and good luck to you!
Well yes, you have to think positive - if you don't, then the worst may happen.
Enjoy, and thank's!

hi Bruno, It certainly sounds like you've had quite a time of it but you have coped well. I'm 51 so i will seem very old to you but I was diagnosed at 17. I had the same kind of problems that you described, the doctors didn't seem to believe me as i couldn't pinpoint the pain and the tests they did did'nt show crohns disease. They eventually operated on me and when I woke I was told that it was crohns, I didn't have a clue what that was but was relieved there was something wrong with me and it wasn't my imagination and I wasn't going mad. Anyway, only people that actually suffer with crohns can truly understand what its like. I wanted to tell you that I have worked all my life, I did mental health nurse training, I've been married twice and have 2 beautiful daughters. I've had 4 operations for crohns over the years and at times things have got me down but Its just my way of reassuring you that you can acheive your goals despite this horrible illness. My daughter has been diagnosed in April this year so she now knows exactly what I've lived with all these years. we will support each other and you and your friend can help each other. I've just joined this forum and it seems great with so many lovely people who understand exactly how we feel.
Do take Care
Carolyn P

aw thank you very much for your support and that you've told me your story. Im feeling pretty much great now, i dont have any symptoms and i feel like im not ill at all. Thank you for your advices, send greetings to your daughter and take care:)