• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going on holiday

going on holiday

im sky iv had uc for about 14 years iv had about 6 flare up in that time iv been on various medications the best i found was mercaptapurin tabs took these for a couple of years and felt great not liking to take tabs i came off them. At the moment im having another flare up and had to go back on to steriods which i hate last time i was on 8 a day and felt like murdering someone which is not good in my job as a driving instuctor. now iv just found out i cant drink alcohol and im going on a cruise this week. im not a drinker but im going on holiday has anyone else had a dink while being in steriods?

HI Sky, i have had a few bottles of beer on steriods but had no side effects. of course this could be different from others who been on them.But, like i said i had no side effects. best wishes.

Hi Sky:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you're having a flare, and that prednisone affects your mood so much. I personally have a love-hate relationship with it---I love that it makes my symptoms subside, but I hate all the nasties that come along with it!

My doctor has never mentioned NOT taking alcohol with prednisone. For many of us, alcohol can make our symptoms worse, and alcohol and prednisone could potentially have an effect on you.

You mentioned that you just found out that you can't drink alcohol---why is that?

I would suggest making a quick call to your doctor's or GIs office and ask them whether there is any concern with alcohol and prednisone together.

Good luck, and I hope you have a great time on the cruise!

Regards,

Kismet

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Sky and welcome! If you are in a flare, it is probably best to avoid alcohol anyways. Alcohol can make symptoms worse. However, everyone is different. If you don't have an issue with alcohal while flaring, I don't think one drink while on pred could cause too much harm. Granted, I am no doctor.

I sure hope you feel better soon and enjoy your cruise!

Hi Sky...

I do not drink when I have a flare because I feel sick anyways. I have had wine while on pred though. No side effects. Mind you, I only had a couple glasses.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise!

smile