Share Facebook

09-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Ben99

Help putting on weight

I'm so skinny its embarrasing. Is there any crohns friendly foods that will help me put on weight easily?
I eat a varied diet and do occasionally pig out on junk but do not put on an ounce of weight.
The last time i did put on weight was when i was on steriods but do wanna go through that route again as my crohns is under control.
09-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Hiya Ben,

Steroids as you rightly say are not the answer for gaining weight...

Basically you need to just up your calorie intake with foods you know you tolerate and enjoy. I know high fats trigger alot of folk - me included - but I dont know if they do you? What about more carbs and protein? Like pasta (gluten free etc if you need to) and potatoes for carbs. Eating more fish, chicken and meat too from the protein angle.

Its just whatever you think you can tolerate. We all have wished at some point or other there was a specific diet that worked for us all depending on where we are in the crohn's "cycle".

Hope you get some joy - I have the opposite problem and need to lose weight again!

Thinking of you

IF YOU DON'T JUMP YOU WONT EVER LEARN TO FLY

Brittle asthma 1996, Hypothyroidism 1998, Severe Crohns ileitis 2006 , Severe IBS 2007, Inflammatory/Rheumatoid Arthritis 2008, Sebhorreic Eczema and Folliculitis 1992, Roseca, steroid induced acne and Hidradenitis Suppurativa 2008, Multiple allergies and food intolerances diagnosed from 2003. Newly diagnosed fibromyalgia Dec 2009. Newly diagnosed calcific tendonitis Jan 2010. Chronic Pain diagnosed Dec 2010.
09-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Kev

My Support Groups:
You know that old saying, you are what you eat? If you just want bulk, then its just a case of eating any old thing that your body will tolerate... if you want to add some muscle, then protein is essential... that's what the bodybuilders I used to workout w would do... Yepper, when the competition season was approaching, they'd start in on the high protein, low fat/low carb diet. The chicken population really plummeted. course, chickens can't fly anyway, so what else could they do but plummet. Exercise is essential too. Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you want to get your weight up in a healthy way, look at some weight training regimen

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
10-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
Mazen

I read in a nutrition book for IBD that a good idea to gain weight is to add some healthy fats to your diet (if you can tolerate them), like:

- flaxseed oil to yoghurt or veggies
- olive oil with food
- Avocados
- Hummus
- Fish oil

I usually eat lots of this if I'm feeling good, but can't seem to gain much weight also!
10-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Ben99

Thanks all.
I'm trying to eat a balanced diet but find it sooo difficult to put on any weight. Trust me I eat a lot and exercise very little.
Maybe its my metabolism
10-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
D Bergy

Exercise may help build some muscle mass, and that is usually what you want anyway. Some people just are genetically predisposed to a certain weight and with Crohn's thrown in there, it may be a struggle to gain.

Best Regards

D Bergy
10-02-2007, 01:35 AM   #7
Jvstin

I'm having the same problem, I'm trying to gain weight as well. I've been told by docs to eat a lot of bread and noodles. So far, it's not working, but I'm not dropping as much. Is there anything perhaps at GNC that would be safe for us?
10-02-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
DanSJVDavis

I know there are some folks on here who have said some bad things about Ensure, but when I needed to get my weight back my doc suggested Ensure. It's vitamins and raw calories and at the very least the strawberry one doesn't taste too bad.

I Was A Middle Age Writer, my blog on my journey toward becoming a published novelist.

Podunkville FX Pics
Podunkville FX
And here's my MySpace Profile: Dan Davis of Podunkville FX MySpace
10-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #9
DarrylP_Ajax

Jvstin said:
I'm having the same problem, I'm trying to gain weight as well. I've been told by docs to eat a lot of bread and noodles. So far, it's not working, but I'm not dropping as much. Is there anything perhaps at GNC that would be safe for us?
They sell weight gainers, which i dont think should be TOO bad on your system
10-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
Jvstin

I used to drink Boost everyday, but the taste became horrible after a while and actually started making me "go" after a few months. I haven't tried ensure but I'm gonna give it a shot and also stop by GNC tomorrow and hope someone is working that knows their stuff. I'll give this all a shot and keep everyone posted on the results.
10-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
Kev

My Support Groups:
Here's a thought (from a rare source, or at least one for whom thoughts are scarce).

Get married, settle down, have kids. Pretty soon you'll have the weight of the world on your back. ;-)
10-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #12
Jvstin

haha, well I am getting close to that already, unless I have children that keep me constantly moving cause they're bad. but hopefully that's still a few years away.
I went to Wal Mart and picked up the Equate Plus version of Ensure, it's exactly the same and cheaper since I plan on doing 2 cans a day for right now until I see a bit more around the old mid section.
here's the key ingredients just for everyones info.
-Per Serving
Potassium 500mg
Protein 13g
Calories 350
Carbs 50g
-Daily Recommended Values
Calcium 20%
Iron 25%
Magnesium 25%
Vitamin D 25%

I got the chocolate, taste a lot better than Boost. I'm picking up strawberry tomorrow.
10-07-2007, 02:52 AM   #13
AbstractDonut

Drink some eggnog. Make it with honey, and throw in some peanut butter if you can stand it.
10-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #14
Kev

My Support Groups:
If you are taking immuno suppressing drugs, consuming raw eggs is a risky idea. Any undercooked or raw food is a potential for problems. Commercially prepared eggnog MAY be safer, altho I haven't any stats. Even 'soft yolk' eggs can pose a problem. As a source of protein, eggs are a very good idea... as long as they are prepared right!
10-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Jvstin

eggnog has always upset my tummy, I can only drink perhaps a glass around the holidays a few days apart. it's hard not to, it's so delicious.
10-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #16
DarrylP_Ajax

D Bergy said:
Exercise may help build some muscle mass, and that is usually what you want anyway. Some people just are genetically predisposed to a certain weight and with Crohn's thrown in there, it may be a struggle to gain.

Best Regards

D Bergy
Genetics can be beaten I am living proof of that, i was 6ft3 1/2 @ 165lbs all through highschool, started working out in my last year of high school and through 5 years of dedicated training and diet i am around 240-245lbs @ the same height. You just need to find the perfect combination and you can beat genetics any day. I am shooting for 250+ by christmas if my wonderful CD allows me.
10-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #17
DarrylP_Ajax

AbstractDonut said:
Drink some eggnog. Make it with honey, and throw in some peanut butter if you can stand it.
Umm, unless you want cholestorol problems, IMO i wouldnt suggest downing eggnog TOO often, thats asking for health issues, lol
10-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #18
Jeff D.

Before college I dropped down to about 114 pounds. I lost weight during my first few weeks and was at or beneath 114 for a while until a few weeks ago my hands and joints all swole up after a beach retreat sitting indian style and putting a lot of weight on my hands along with playing guitar around 14 hours in four days. Since then I bought glucosomine 1500g and I have been feeling much better. My joints don't bother me and I am now at 120.8 or so depending on the time of day. I am also starting to take fish oil as well and I am feeling good and gaining weight. So I'm thinking that the glucosomine may have had something to do with my weight gain. I have also started to eat before I have become hungry and since then I have been able to eat more and over a longer period of time.

Hope that helps
10-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #19
Cara Fusinato
Sarcastic Forum Comedian

Try some of the energy bars out there. There's one called Myoplex that is 300 calories and 30 grams of protein. I get ours at SaveMart, but not everywhere has that food chain. My husband eats them during his drum gigs to keep up his energy levels. I have had some of them when doing a lot of exercise or needing extra calories. They seem to sit well with me, but everyone is individual.
10-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #20
AbstractDonut

Well if you don't like the eggnog idea you can also eat pepperoni and cheese.
10-17-2007, 11:10 PM   #21
DarrylP_Ajax

AbstractDonut said:
Well if you don't like the eggnog idea you can also eat pepperoni and cheese.
LOL, kinda random?
10-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #22
Kev

My Support Groups:
wouldn't the pepperoni and cheese make the eggnog lumpy? LOL
10-20-2007, 01:51 PM   #23
AbstractDonut

Pepperoni and cheese are both fattening
11-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #24
DarrylP_Ajax

AbstractDonut said:
Pepperoni and cheese are both fattening
You mean they are both high in fat...high in fat doesnt necassarily mean its fattening, depends on the rest of the persons diet and lifestyle. Dont take me as being offensive, i am just tired of listening to all my friends asking me about why they arent losing weight when they are eating low-fat everything, nothing like good ol' media putting into everyones minds that you cant eat any carbs or any fat if you want to lose weight, lol. When it comes down to gaining weight its not the fat content you should be shooting for, its the calorie intake following the Carb:Fat:Protein ratio, which i believe is 40:30:30 so 40% of your calories should come from carbs, 30% from fats and 30% from protein. If you follow this ratio but boost your total calorie intake, you should have no probs gaining weight, and fast.
11-14-2007, 12:50 PM   #25
Kev

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I know a few people who are trying desparately to lose weight, a national pastime as it were. some are total vegans, others eat so much lettuce in salads, etc., I expect them to turn green. Odd thing is, whenever I ask them of the last time they saw a slim cow or elephant, or an overweight cheetah, they just look at me as if I had two heads. I think mother nature knows the secret to a properly balanced diet... and we're too stupid to take the hint.
11-15-2007, 03:11 AM   #26
Mazen

Yeah Kev. You're absolutely right

But the problem is to determine what is a balanced diet for us humans. Is it :

1) what the dieticians and doctors reccomend i.e 15/30/55 protein/fat/carbs

2) the primitive diet or what it's contenders calim to be the real evolutionary diet for humans i.e high protein high fat, with carbs only from vegies and fruits

3) the metabolic rate diet which claims people should eat as per their metabolic type which is high protein, high carb, or in the middle

4) Blood type diet

5) then there is the ones which are best for Crohn's. Doctors usually reccomend a low residue, low fiber diet, while alternative people and non mainstream MD's push for diets like SCD and low carb with results claimed as below (check the link) and with interesting healing stories beyond them; and it seems to help some people (but I wish I could meet one of them face to face to believe it and then I will have the commitment to pursue such diet!!!):

http://www.healingcrow.com/dietsmain/crohn/crohn.html

- Robert C. Atkins, M.D. states in his book, Dr. Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution, that he has a 85 percent success rate of treating CD patients with a sugar-restricted (low carbohydrate) diet and high doses of B-vitamins, including folic acid and pantethine.
- Wolfgang Lutz, M.D., a medical clinician in Austria has a success rate of over 90 percent when treating his patients with a low carbohydrate diet for at least one year.
- Elaine Gottschall, M.S. has had remarkable success at healing others suffering from Crohn's disease and Ulcerative Colitis with a specific carbohydrate diet (SCD), even curing her own daughter.
- John Yudkin, M.D. states in his book, Sweet and Dangerous, that he has successfully used a low carbohydrate diet to treat a variety of gastrointestinal ailments. In one study he acheived a 70 percent success rate.

All these diets are making me crazy .... I mean the scientific thing is to trust the one recommended by doctors and dieticians, but since having this disease I've lost my faith in the medical community..........
11-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #27
Kev

My Support Groups:
Then theres all the buzz on the new Seinfeld diet "Bee happy, eat your honey" ;-)
11-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #28
DanSJVDavis

I plan on it! Oh wait...you were talking about something else weren't you...

heh!

Actually, I get honey from my Dad. The good kind. He's got a bunch of supers of hives so it's not the overprocessed junk you get in the store.
11-16-2007, 01:36 PM   #29
Kev

My Support Groups:
you know, it's amazing that the little old bee is said to be responsible for 80 plus percent of pollenating (sp?) the worlds plant life (not sure on the accuracy of those figures) AND that "something" is killing off the bees at an alarming rate. It's even BEEn speculated that it could be the explosion of cellular telephone use AND if unchecked, it could spell worldwide famine within the next generation or two.
11-19-2007, 02:02 AM   #30
Wiles

Have you tried a liquid diet? When I was first diagnosed they put me on a powdered formula that I was fed enterally. Having a tube up my nose didn't do much for my social life when I was 17, but I gained a lot of weight. I went from being extremely skinny to chubby. I think I gained around 40lbs. There are liquid diets out there that don't need to be fed through a tube though.

Kev said:
you know, it's amazing that the little old bee is said to be responsible for 80 plus percent of pollenating (sp?) the worlds plant life (not sure on the accuracy of those figures) AND that "something" is killing off the bees at an alarming rate. It's even BEEn speculated that it could be the explosion of cellular telephone use AND if unchecked, it could spell worldwide famine within the next generation or two.
I've read about that before too. The article I read mentioned honeybees disappearing, but as far as I know honeybees are an introduced species, things were being pollinated fine before they were introduced.