• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A Hypochondriac+

Well today I am 30yrs old and soon to be 31. It was just about 10yrs ago now I was FINALLY diagnosed with a health issue, it is Crohn's Disease. For all of my preteen and teen years I constantly complained of stomach pain and not feeling well. My Dr. always knocked it down to being overweight and a hypochondriac who suffered from the odd case of constipation. It wasn't until January 18, 2001 that I spent a half a day in the fetal position due to the unbearable stomach/abdominal pain I was experiencing. My mother, god bless her, phoned to check on me, which at the time, she made the instinctive decision to leave work and bring me to emerge. My amazing 5ft 1in 150lb mother draped as much of my, 5ft 8in 250lb frame over her right shoulder in order to transport me to her car as I was unable to remove myself from the fetal position due to the pain.

Living in a town of only 1100 people, you can imagine our medical care was fairly minimal at the time. Upon arrival the required information was taken and into a ultrasound I went. The diagnosis, a ruptured appendix. I was flown to the nearest city, Thunder Bay, ON Canada, where I was to have the appendix removed. I waited until 10:30pm for the surgeon to be ready for me and come check me out. As he felt around my abdomen, he was suspicious of the ruptured appendix and said to me, "I'm not sure this is just your appendix, what do you want me to do if it's not?" "FIX IT, please just fix it." He stated ok and proceeded to tell me I would be in surgery for approx 20 mins or so and a 3in incision would accompany the surgery. 11:00pm I was brought in for surgery. 20 minutes went by, my mother was waiting, another 20mins went by, she still was waiting, an hour passes she's starting to pace around the hall of the room in which my surgery was being performed.
Out came a nurse who sat my mother down and stated, "The Dr. was correct of his suspicion of this not being your daughters appendix, however her appendix is involved. There is a 3ft blockage of small intestine in which her appendix is wrapped around. The Dr. suspects it is Crohn's Disease however lab testing will need to be completed for official diagnosis. He will be out to speak with you as soon as he is finished, it may be a while yet. 2 more hours later, out came my night and shining Armour, Dr. Kirk. He explained to my mother that the 3ft blocked was like a cement cylinder that took at least ten years to get that way. On each end of the blockage were tears in which bile had leaked out and filled my body with bile, causing the Dr. to have to remove all of my intestinal track, liver, pancreas and spleen in order to suction the poison from my body in order to save me from the 12 hours away fro death I was experiencing.

My organs had begun to shut down which was also a contributor to the pain I was experiencing on top of the blockage and tears. All organs, minus the 3ft intestinal blockage, was placed back in my body. Needless to say my poor mother was devastated. I awoke from my surgery feeling a tremendous amount of pressure and pain in my abdomen area, I look down only to see my abdomen is entirely wrapped in gauze, I vaugly remember thinking to myself, uh oh something else was wrong. My mother was looking at me with helplessness in her eyes holding my hand saying don't move Rachel, Dr. Kirk will be right here, I drifted off for a few short few moments. I open my eyes again to have one hand in my mothers hand and the other in my surgeons. "Hi Rachel, it's me Dr. Kirk, I want to explain a few things to you. I have been here since your surge as I wanted to speak with you personally when you woke.

My suspicions were right, there was something more and I fixed it as you requested. However were not done but we will get to that."So he went on to explain to me what had happened as stated above. From there he added on, "Now, you were my last surgery of the day since 8:00am and your body could only handle so much. So you are going to notice on your stomach a stoma and colostomy bag. Your surgery took 3hours to complete and I was not about to begin your reversal at 2 a.m. as I did not want to jeopardize any of the progress I had made, not to mention how well your body has handled everything thus far. A stoma is your intestine attached to the outer of your abdomen and the colostomy bag is the wafer and bag of which is placed over the stoma in order to provide a place for drainage from what will be dispensed from your stoma." I started to bawl, thinking my life was over, he and my courageous mother held my hands so tightly telling me it was going to be okay and I would make it through.

He also went on to inform me there were two 3ft drainage tubes in each side of my abdomen that would be removed in a few days once swelling and draining comes to a halt. He explained my colon was no longer operational and upon reversal my body would learn how to use it again. He apologized for everything that had gone on however we needed to be positive and look forward on making it through. He then encouraged me to rest as that would be best for me and my body at that time. The next morning he returned to inform me of the work that was ahead of me if I wanted a reversal and training on dealing with the colostomy etc..He also stated it took at least 10yrs for my intestines to get to the point they were at and couldn't figure out how I never was detected.

I did fill him in on my past history of being told I was a hypochondriac. He made it quite clear he would be speaking with my family doctor. From there the work began and I pushed myself to not allow this awful disease to rule me. The pain was horrendous during my hospital stay to the point of the morphine dose I was on was enough to kill an elephant my doc stated. But I made it through it and returned home with my parents to heal. It was not a week I was home and had to return to the local hospital as the incision to which my stoma sat upon was cut in the incorrect position due to the surgeon going in for my appendix and not intestines. This created the inability for my wafer and bag to sit correctly over my stoma causing much skin deterioration do to the bile that would leak out and sit under my wafer, eating away at my skin.

I basically stayed in the hospital for two weeks without my bag and wafer on laying on my side allowing my stoma to drain into a container in order to heal my skin. My family doctor did pay me a visit with a great apology however needless to say I was not empathetic towards his compassionate apology. Regardless, I healed enough to the point in which I was able to return home and work together with my mother and in home nurse until I was able to visit with my surgeon again to decide on a reversal or not. I was able to hang with friends a bit while having my stoma or as we referred to it as, "Turbo," lol you could only imagine why, it was not quiet and was quite peppy, so to say, lol. On Feb 19, 2001, I returned to my surgeon, completing the fifteen sit ups I needed to be able to complete for the reversal to take place.

I was fortunate enough to have the reversal however have been battling the ability to control the disease since. I have been on many many medications and now awaiting Remicade injections approval from the Ontario Drug Trillium Benefits Program as my final hope.Previous meds were Pentasa, Budesonide, Prednisone, Asacol, Imurane and Loperamide. My most responsive has been the Loperamide, however, it just shuts your bowels down, appose to fighting inflammation. I average many visits to my "Second Office," as all us at work refer to my "Throne" as. Foods bother some days and not the next so to follow a special diet does not work for me. I find healthy food are awful for me and I am the rare 2% of overweight Crohn's patience, surprise considering the one positive thing upon discovering my Crohn's Disease was that I may finally become thin, nope, lol, did not happen.

I average anywhere from 6-16+ visits to the washroom per day. Much mucus and foam accompany the water like bowel movements I experience. I often suffer from anal fistulas and severe anal pain, abdominal pain, vomiting and stomach pains. I am regularly suffering from exhaustion, hot n' cold sweats, depression and people not understanding of course. I now have a herniated bowel where my stoma was and am unable to have it fixed due to the condition of my Crohn's and not having it under enough control. I was told after my surgeries I was not going to be able to have children and I now am a VERY proud mother of an 8yr old daughter, Bree-Lyn and a 4yr old son, Nolan.

So far my children have not shown any signs of Crohn's disease although it is awesome at working in disguise. I am continuously working on putting together an album for my children with my health information and pics n' such in order for them to keep as they carry through life and procreate themselves. This disease is defiantly an awful one and can feel as though you may not be able to beat it and stop it from controlling your life, BUT you can. It takes alot of strength, dedication and belief and you can prevent it from controlling your life, Its hard and may seem damn near impossible however don't let it become your control. If at times you must let it temporarily win, thats okay as we all need a break, just don't let it control always and forever!

~Rachel (Crohn's Warrior)

Last edited:
Welcome Rachel ,& thanks for sharing your story.

I actually got goosebumps reading it.

I have never been thin & have suffered tummy troubles since my early teens.
Nobody can ever seem to sort what the problem is & to be honest after so many tests & Dr.s I sometimes get so frustrated that I wash my hands of the whole bit & just deal with it the best I can.

I recently found a brilliant Gastro who actually listened to me & he said he thinks I may have Crohn's .
We started the whole testing regimen again & he unfortunately was in a motor vehichle accident that most likely will end his career.

I was just going to throw in the towel again, but after reading your story I'm going to find myself another Doc & hound him if need be to figure this out once & for all.

Astra

Hiya Rachel
and welcome

Hope you don't mind, I've tweaked your post a bit, I find a huge block of text very hard to read.
You've been thro so much! I really hope things are on the up now and that you get your Remicade.
Take care and we'll see you around the forum
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Spooky1

hi Rachel,

welcome aboard, its a great place to be too. you sound like me although i have had crohn's since i was 12 years and am now almost 49! my mum had ulcerative colitis and you describe exactly what she goes through wil ther ileostomy. i could never bear to look at her stoma issues. if my bum is that sore well at least i can't see it, lol.

i hope all goes well in the future

Best wishes,
Diane

HI Rachel , welcome to the forum , you been throught alot. but, the main thing is you have a diagonsis and that is good thing because you are able to control it through medications and you will have to find a good diet plan for your self. If i were you i would start with a diary and mark down the foods that agree with you and the foods that don't agree with you. and stick with the foods that are good for you. That is my suggestion.Hope to see you around the forum. It was nice to meet you. best wishes.

RachaelM,
Wow! Thank you for sharing your 'survivor' story with us. It is truly humbling what you have lived through-- and you are a mother as well!

Welcome and thank you for joining us.

Wow !

As I sit here in my hospital bed feeling sorry for myself , I read your story and cried .

What you've been through is devastating an yet I still feel your positivity coming through.
U are 1 hell of a strong woman xxx
Jen XX

David

Co-Founder
Wow Rachel, that was an incredible story, you had me riveted. I'm so glad you made it through and are here with us today. I look forward to you being a regular member of this community, I can tell you're an amazing lady :)

All my best to you!

Wow. I want to say that I admire your strength for all that you have been through. What you said just made me feel so proud and lucky for our life saving surgeons and doctors. Imagine having this disease 100 years ago!! Thank god you made it here!
Hope you stick around this forum, it's a great place for support I've found.
all my best to you and good luck with the Remicade, I hope it is a great help to you!

Hi Rachel. What an amazing survivor you are. I am also an overweight Crohn's patient, but I have gone through times of extreme weight loss due to diarrhea and inability to eat. I was also called a hypochondriac for a while (but a lot less time than you were!).

Congratulations on making it through all that and on your two children.

Droopy Drawers, I am so excited to read that my story was able to help you with yours. It reminds me once again that in an ironic way we can control our disease not let it control us. You seek yourself a doctor until theres nowhere left to seek, you will find ur night n' shining armour too.

I feely truly touched that my experience inspired you to keep going and remember never give up as then you let it win. I am always around to chat and please feel free to private msg me at anytime.

I look forward to speaking with you again, take care and much luv :hug:
~Rachel

Welcome Rachel ,& thanks for sharing your story.

I actually got goosebumps reading it.

I have never been thin & have suffered tummy troubles since my early teens.
Nobody can ever seem to sort what the problem is & to be honest after so many tests & Dr.s I sometimes get so frustrated that I wash my hands of the whole bit & just deal with it the best I can.

I recently found a brilliant Gastro who actually listened to me & he said he thinks I may have Crohn's .
We started the whole testing regimen again & he unfortunately was in a motor vehichle accident that most likely will end his career.

I was just going to throw in the towel again, but after reading your story I'm going to find myself another Doc & hound him if need be to figure this out once & for all.

No problem at all, thank you kindly. It was late when I was story telling and was pooched by the time it was completed.Thanks for the luv, and as the great MJ always said, "It's all about the love!"~Rachel

Hiya Rachel
and welcome0

Hope you don't mind, I've tweaked your post a bit, I find a huge block of text very hard to read.
You've been thro so much! I really hope things are on the up now and that you get your Remicade.
Take care and we'll see you around the forum
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Emr52, I must say sweetheart, I admire YOUR strength for all that you have been through from such a young age. Your will and courage is just amazing and truly you are blessed to have made it through all that you have, even though Im sure you feel being blessed is not a feeling of this situation, Im sure. I hope for you much continued support and love.PLease feel free to msg me at anytime, it would be my pleasure to coorespond and share with you. Take care dear ~Rachel :hug:

Jenny06, my goodness hun, you have every right to be feeling the way you do. With CD everyone is bound to feel that way at one time or another. Just remember even tho it may seem hopeless, it will at times get better.

Us people in life who are dealt these aweful hands are only given them for a reason. Whether its to make us stronger to deal with harder or to allow us to take good pain meds legally and for free(for some), lol, joking, sorry I know its probebly not a joking time for you right now but sometimes a funny helps to crack a smile we have not felt for a while.

I hope for you to see the inner strength you possess, as we all have the potential to have such strength, its just a matter of going deep enough to find it. You hang in there, I know you can, and tell Mr Crohn's to move over its time for Muma strength to come through, even men get out of the way for Muma strength!! Take care Jenny06 and feel free to chat anytime ~Rachel
:Karl:

Wow !

As I sit here in my hospital bed feeling sorry for myself , I read your story and cried .

What you've been through is devastating an yet I still feel your positivity coming through.
U are 1 hell of a strong woman xxx
Jen XX

Linda, it doesnt seem to matter how much i dont eat and how much i do :poo: the weight never leaves. Speaking with my Remicade Coordinator she is convinced once treatment is underway and the Crohn's gets under control the weight should begin to drop also. I am quite skeptic of that as I have been yoyoing eating and not eating with non stop :poo:ing and have yet to loose, however, hopefully I am wrong. Have you ever been given an answer as to why the weight gain? ~Rachel

Hi Rachel. What an amazing survivor you are. I am also an overweight Crohn's patient, but I have gone through times of extreme weight loss due to diarrhea and inability to eat. I was also called a hypochondriac for a while (but a lot less time than you were!).

Congratulations on making it through all that and on your two children.

. Have you ever been given an answer as to why the weight gain? ~Rachel
Rachel, both my parents have weight issues, so I assume at least part of it is genetic. My mom told me of a distant relative that still had a tiny bit of fat when she was liberated from a concentration camp, so I guess in the end it is a good survival thing. :) And when I was pregnant I lost so much weight due to a Crohn's flare and hyperemises so it was a good thing for me that I had "extra padding". I have learned to come to terms with it.

an update

Well, it is 4:54a.m. Oct 25, 2011. I am currently awaiting for my vaginal hysterectomy at 1:30p.m. in hopes of some relief in flare up caused by miss mother nature. I also had a colonoscopy this past week only to discover my condition has worsened. A large crohn's ulcer was removed at my osteomosis site with a visual of continuing ulcers upwards further into my small intestines. I will be receiving further procedures for a complete visual of my small intestinal tract to determine if surgery is needed. I think it may be safe to assume yes, as the great difficulty I have been experiencing regarding the amount of pain and vomitting I have been going through, however, as the line goes, "Never assume it always makes an a*$ out of you and me!" Regardless, I have proven yet once again to the medical professionals that I know my body better than any other and that I am not over-reacting or being paranoid as now two of my past family doctors have chosen to believe. Yes, 2 past doctors now, as I, as of a few weeks ago, dropped my family doctor of 9 years and moved onto another who through emergency visits has shown my concern, belief and understanding in what I have expressed regarding my Crohn's. It really is too bad however as I did enjoy my doctor of 9yrs as he has not only helped me to a certain point with the CD but also delivered my children. He really was a great doc, I suppose sometimes they to tire of the Crohn's Disease battle. Well I must head back to sleep and will update once I am well enough to do so., Take care All and happy days ~Rach :ghug:

Last edited:
RachelM,
May all go well with your surgery today, and may it provide you with some relief. I am sorry that the doctors don't seem to take your concerns seriously. Keep advocating for yourself and let us know how things went with your surgery.

Hello again, RachelM.

Nice to hear from you again & hope this finds you feeling well.
My old "friend" belly pain has me up walking the floors & I popped on here for a bit as there isn't a hell of a lot that you can do quietly @ 1:15 am.

I had to find another Gastro & was lucky enough to find one who was trained by my former Gastro.

This last bout of tummy woes has seen me drop 60 lbs., but I did manage to gain 5 back.

Low residue seems to be the ticket right now.

I have an appt. to see the new Doc on Nov. 10 & he is picking up where the last Doc left off.
The former wanted me to have another hida scan to rule out gallbladder, but he said my symptoms were wrong for gb, but seemed to indicate Crohns.

Had a hida done about 10 years ago & I was @ 7% function, but was told by 3 Docs to leave it alone, as they were afraid it would really get things stirred up with the colitis I was diagnosed with in my late teens.

I saw my PCP 2 weeks ago & she is sending me to a rheumatologist as now I have joint pain added to the mix.

Never a dull moment, eh ?

Will let you know what kind of crazy dx they come up with this time.

Well surgery has gone not bad. My large bowel was adhered to my uterus so some trickery worx had to be completed in order to safely remove my uterus without harming the bowels. It was also a but tricky as apparently, "my canal," is too long and narrow, lol, I thought to myself well hey, that aint bad for two babies, haha.

Anyhoo all went well, only had to spend one night in the hospital and now just working on the BM's, which is a bit of a task seeming I must refrain from pushing during movements in order to not rip my stichting n' such. Pushing is a general must for me inorder to stop my muscle spasming I experience during movements. So needless to say, I have yet to go in two days, hmmm, a bit of a relief I suppose however, Im not sure its helping with the pain Im experiencing...damned if you do, damned if you dont!

Droopy Drawers: I noticed yo mentioned seeing a rheumatologist, joint and muscle pain is often a huge effect of Crohn's Disease on the body. I am interested in seeing how this pans out for you as joint, muscle and bone pain is something I also suffer severly from. I seem to continuously ache from head to toe. Keep me updated with that if you don't mind.

Dull moments are definatly far and few in between with the good 'ol Crohns friend, always keeps us on our toes, thats for sure. Well I am hopeful in receiving relief from my recent procedure however, only time will tell. Well take care my felllow Crohn's Warrior and keep me filled in.
"We are survivors
We're not gon give up
We're not gon stop
We're gon work harder
We are survivors
We're gonna make it
We will survive
Keep on survivin'"

hope you're on the mend soon,Rachel.

Immune system disorders run rampant in my Family.
Guess I can't be expected to be exempt from having something wrong too.

I got so frustrated about 10 years ago, that I went to an iridologist ( don't dare mention that fact to an MD ) & he said all my probs were coming from my bowel.

On the verge of switching insurance, so can't see the bone Doc until the New Year.

RachelM,
Glad to hear that the surgery went well, despite the 'trickiness' of it. Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. Miralax (Restoralax) is something that many people on the forum have taken to assist with bowel movements after surgery. A prescription is not needed in Canada.
Rest up and give yourself lots of time to heal.

Well, the hysterectomy seems to have helped a bit from what I can say thus far. Further testing has been completed regarding my intestinal track and yup anotehr blockage has formed. I am now awaiting catscans prior to discussing surgery further with my gastro. My fam Dr. is quite fine with moving ahead now with surgery however my gastro not so much as it is only a partial blockage not full, pfffft, man a person who does not suffer really ahs no idea! I am still suffering from the vomitting as foods are not moving fast enough through the system but on the upside, my movements have slowed tremendously the last week or so.

Still maintaing my weight of course, cause ya know why would any disease cause me to loose, I just do not understand. I eat it all comes out wether its the top or bottom end, either way its out. I suppose someday it may be my weight that saves me I guess.

Well just a little update for all, sorry i havnt been on it quite some time, I have been very ill. Well belated Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year to You and Yours

Astra

Good to see you again Rachel!
Fingers crossed that 2012 brings you some relief, you deserve that much!
Btw, my hysterectomy was the best thing I ever did for my Crohn's, everything was glued together!
lotsa luv
xxx