• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help

help

Heelo i need some info , I have had my ostomy bag since July 20th. Lately have been having lots of gas and the bag works well but this morn i actually felt like i had to go to the washroom,so i did and i had a bowel movement. It was small and greyish no blood. I have been informed that this is common, but it sure freaked me out. has anyone else had this issue before,and will it happen again or often?????.Thankyou for any info you can give me.:sign0085:

Ian

Hi cecilialynn,

You might want to post this in the stoma subforum, I'm sure you'd get far more of a response there.

As far as I know it is very common when they leave any of your colon in tact (rather than removing it all and stitching you closed). It produces mucus as a natural lubricant to help pass stools. When you're no longer passing stools, the mucus builds up and needs to be expelled. It's normal so don't worry. I believe most peope find the frequency reduces over time. I'm sure if you post over in the stoma forum people will be able to help you :).

Ian

No problem :) The UC subforum doesn't seem to get that much traffic, I guess it's mostly Crohns sufferers here! Lots of activity on the stoma one though so you should get plenty of responses.