Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Have you ever had your copper levels tested?

View Poll Results: Have you had your copper levels tested
Yes and they were normal 1 3.23%
Yes and I was deficient 1 3.23%
No. Should I be sucking on pennies? 29 93.55%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

09-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
David
Co-Founder

Have you ever had your copper levels tested?

I'm curious if anyone here has ever had their copper levels checked and if you were found to be deficient or not.
09-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Gue33

Should I be sucking on pennies? he he. What have you heard/read regarding copper levels? I am curious.
09-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
David
Co-Founder

I've been doing research on various vitamins and minerals and working to compile the data to share here. What I found on copper was quite surprising. What I have so far:

Copper

Copper is necessary for iron uptake, and a copper deficiency can result in iron deficiency. Copper deficiency can sometimes be caused by excessive zinc or iron supplementation and will often manifest at the same time as B12 deficiency[2].

Symptoms of Copper Deficiency: Tiredness, fatigue, light headedness, anemias including leukopenia and neutropenia [3], low hemoglobin due to enlarged red blood cells, myelopathy [4], peripheral neuropathy, optic neuropathy, difficulty walking, torso-based tremors, numbness, tingling, reduced reflexes, vision loss.

Anatomy of Absorption: The primary location of copper absorption in humans is not definitively known but it is thought to take place in the stomach and duodenum. Copper is stored in the liver. Ceruloplasmin (which plays a major part in iron metabolism) carries about 70% of the total copper in human plasma while albumin carries about 15%. Phytlates, fructose, and sucrose can inhibit absorption.

Recommended Daily Intake: In North America, the recommended intake of copper for healthy adult men and women is 900 micrograms/day (0.9 mg/day) with a maximum tolerable intake of 10 mg/day. Safe and acceptable daily intakes have been estimated from adult data and are as follows: 340 micrograms/day (0.34 mg/day) for children of 13 years; 440 micrograms/day (0.44 mg/day) for 48 years; 700 micrograms/day (0.7 mg/day) for 913 years; and 890 micrograms/day (0.89 mg/day) for 1418 years. [5]

Natural Sources of Copper: Oysters and other shellfish, whole grains, beans, nuts, potatoes, organ meats (kidneys, liver), dark leafy greens, prunes, cocoa, black pepper, and yeast.
01-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Rebecca85

I asked for my copper levels to be tested too, and they were fine. But thanks for bringing it to our attention- I don't think it had been considered as a cause of my fatigue and tingling.

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
01-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
kllyeve

My Support Groups:
I eat way too much chocolate to ever be considered copper defiicent!! I haven't ever been tested, but between the potatoe and cocoa source I can't possibly be low!!!
01-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Angrybird

My Support Groups:
I am going to ask to have mine checked just to be on the safe side.

DX: Crohns July 2002
Surgery: Ileocecal Resection Sept 2011
Now:Tummy behaving itself and new mummy to baby Nicholas
Current Meds: 6-MP 75mg,B12 injections every 3 months
Previous Meds: Budesonide, Prednisone, Remicade, Pentesa,Hydroxychlorequine,Azathioprine (tried twice) and Methotrexate
10-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
TeenageStephanie

I have and my copper levels are actually toxic. they are too high
10-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Why did this thread ever die? :/ I'm seeing my GP tomorrow and will see if she's interested in testing my copper levels (gonna ask for my vit D to be tested again anyway).
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
10-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
David
Co-Founder

As I did more research, I found that copper deficiency wasn't that common in people with Crohn's (it happens occasionally) but is more often HIGHER than that of controls as Stephanie alludes to.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Have you ever had your copper levels tested?