• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Have you ever had your copper levels tested?

Have you had your copper levels tested

• Yes and they were normal

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Yes and I was deficient

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • No. Should I be sucking on pennies?

Votes: 29 93.5%

• Total voters

David

Co-Founder
I've been doing research on various vitamins and minerals and working to compile the data to share here. What I found on copper was quite surprising. What I have so far:

Copper

Copper is necessary for iron uptake, and a copper deficiency can result in iron deficiency. Copper deficiency can sometimes be caused by excessive zinc or iron supplementation and will often manifest at the same time as B12 deficiency[goto=2a][2][/goto].

Symptoms of Copper Deficiency: Tiredness, fatigue, light headedness, anemias including [wiki]leukopenia[/wiki] and [wiki]neutropenia[/wiki][goto=3a] [3][/goto], low hemoglobin due to enlarged red blood cells, myelopathy [goto=4a][4][/goto], peripheral neuropathy, optic neuropathy, difficulty walking, torso-based tremors, numbness, tingling, reduced reflexes, vision loss.

Anatomy of Absorption: The primary location of copper absorption in humans is not definitively known but it is thought to take place in the stomach and duodenum. Copper is stored in the liver. Ceruloplasmin (which plays a major part in iron metabolism) carries about 70% of the total copper in human plasma while albumin carries about 15%. Phytlates, fructose, and sucrose can inhibit absorption.

Recommended Daily Intake: In North America, the recommended intake of copper for healthy adult men and women is 900 micrograms/day (0.9 mg/day) with a maximum tolerable intake of 10 mg/day. Safe and acceptable daily intakes have been estimated from adult data and are as follows: 340 micrograms/day (0.34 mg/day) for children of 1–3 years; 440 micrograms/day (0.44 mg/day) for 4–8 years; 700 micrograms/day (0.7 mg/day) for 9–13 years; and 890 micrograms/day (0.89 mg/day) for 14–18 years. [goto=5a][5][/goto]

Natural Sources of Copper: Oysters and other shellfish, whole grains, beans, nuts, potatoes, organ meats (kidneys, liver), dark leafy greens, prunes, cocoa, black pepper, and yeast.

I asked for my copper levels to be tested too, and they were fine. But thanks for bringing it to our attention- I don't think it had been considered as a cause of my fatigue and tingling.

I eat way too much chocolate to ever be considered copper defiicent!! I haven't ever been tested, but between the potatoe and cocoa source I can't possibly be low!!!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Why did this thread ever die? :/ I'm seeing my GP tomorrow and will see if she's interested in testing my copper levels (gonna ask for my vit D to be tested again anyway).