Share Facebook

09-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
David
Co-Founder

Probiotics Reviews

I'd like to get some anecdotal evidence as to your experiences with probiotics. I feel it could be potentially beneficial for others interested in probiotics. Please respond to this thread with:

If you have Crohn's, UC, or other forum of IBD:
Brand of probiotic you're on or tried:
Duration you've been on or were on the probiotic:
Your results:

Thank you so much!
10-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
mizgarnet

I am on Garden of Life Probiotics (going to the RAW version when I finish my bottle). Been on these for 10 years on and off. I also like Natren Healthy Trinity. I have tried others but GofL and Natren are the only ones that have worked for me.

Results: flat tummy, less stinky gas, less pain, less colds, etc.

Wendy

PS...edit...I have Crohns

Last edited by mizgarnet; 10-05-2011 at 04:11 PM.
10-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Emily

My Support Groups:
1. I have Crohn's
2. Tried Florastor and Culturelle
3. I've given probiotics a try about 3 different times, each probably for about a month.
4. Maybe I'm just weird but I never notice anything, nothing feels better or worse when I've taken them before
  • Total colectomy with ileostomy at age 23
infliximab & azathioprine
10-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Awbrey

I use Garden of Life, I used it before I was diagnosed and I love them went off them and could tell a difference for the worst instantly. I truly believe that they have helped me more than any medication I have and take.
10-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
1. My GI said I have IBD but still not sure what!
2. I've tried Country Life brand Acidophilus capsules
3. I took it for 2 or 3 months
4. I didn't notice any difference in my guts, pain, digestion, or anything like that. I did however notice that my acid reflux seemed to be worsening when I was on the probiotics. I did a bit of googling and found that in some people, probiotics can actually worsen reflux. So I stopped taking them. Upon stopping, still didn't notice any difference in my guts. Changed up my reflux meds a bit around that time so that's slowly been improving.

For those who are interested, here's a pretty good article I found about probiotics and GERD/reflux.
http://www.heartburn-remedies.com/pr...ics-help-gerd/
10-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
hannaho

I have uc and crohns and I am currently taking Acidophilus Extra probiotic. Have been taking them for about a week and is a 3 month course till reviewed.x
10-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
crohnicaly stinky

I take Nutrition Now PB 8 Pro-Biotic Acidophilus

I also take a Krill oil, a mega multi-vitamin and a 5000 Ui Vitamn D

Plus two Lialda's a day and a Humira shot every two weeks.

I can't say what, if anything, the suppliments do for me. But I take them everyday. If I miss the lialda I start to get D almost right away.
10-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
Feather

1. Crohn's.
2. VSL#3.
3. I took it for three years (throughout middle school), and then again last month for a couple of weeks.
4. I didn't notice any positive or negative effects of the VSL#3 while I was taking it. I stopped taking it in middle school because I wasn't noticing any benefits and I got tired of mixing it with yogurt. I stopped taking it recently because my doctor said that new studies have shown that it doesn't have any benefit for Crohn's and, in some cases, might actually have negative impacts on CD (though it's still good for UC).

Current treatment: Pentasa - 3000mg
Supplements: Iron, Vitamin D 4000iu

Last edited by Feather; 10-24-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling
10-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Flor

I asked my doctor a question about probiotics directly and she said that Align was the only one she really trusted because it had been clinically proven to yield results. I just started them so I do not have anecdotal evidence for you.
10-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
barmybev

My Support Groups:
I take VSL#3 have done for past 2 years seems to help when I'm on Antibiotics Bev
Diagnosed with Crohns 34 yrs.'' ago aged 13 surgery in 93 right Hemicolectomy. had full remission till 2008 had another surgery in 2009 & had a temp stoma. 2010 had stoma reversed back. Then had 4enterocutaneous fistula's. tried Remi & Humira to no avail ended up having surgery again in Jan 13, 4, small bowel resections, gallbladder taken out, Fistulas all removed & given a permenant Ileostomy

I may not be where I need to be but,
I thank God Im not where I use to be
10-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
sararay

I have Crohns

Brand of probiotic you're on or tried: Garden of Life
Duration you've been on or were on the probiotic: Was on it 2 years.
Your results: During those two years I went into remission and was able to get off of all of my meds (while also doing gluten-free, no-sugar diet) , stopped getting chronic sinus infections, stopped getting yeast infections.

Switched to: Body Ecology CocoBiotic and starters for cultured vegetables.
Duration you've been on or were on the probiotic: Been on it for the last 6 years, but not consistently for the last two.
Your results: Been in remission for the last 7 years except for a recent fistula. Still no constipation or diarrhea or cramps. The fistula is my only "symptom" and the only reason we found it was because I was having recurring bladder infections.

Back on maintenance meds now. I think a combination of diet, meds and probiotics is beneficial to everyone. The trick is finding the right combination for you.
10-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #12
Sekhmet2386

I have Crohns, I tried Culturelle and a few other lower dose probiotics, I felt better but not great, I tried GNC 50 billion and I feel AMAZING!! i switch to the 25 billion cultures with D3 bc i am deficient. I also take a very low dose Probiotic Multi and have been feeling really a ton better with them. I went off them a few days, bc i like to make sure its not mind over matter, and i felt a huge difference, i felt more bloated and just blah. Definitely try them. Oh, I also take a Multi Vitamin by GNC, I found the only Multi I can digest is a capsule or else i feel awful. Try them :-)

P.s. I have been on them for 5 months and have been in remission for 4.

Last edited by Sekhmet2386; 10-31-2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Left something out
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
tek254

I have Crohns. Tried Lifeways non fat Blueberry Kefir for about two months. Didnt notice any change, plus or minus. Talked to my GI about it and he said to stop because as far as he is concerned there is not enough research as of yet for IBD patients. . On a side note, my daughter has IBS and was told to start using a probiotic and has seen improvement in her abdominal pain. She is using Culterelle. John Hopkins had a paper on probiotics however they have removed it claming more research is needed.
11-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #14
mnsun

I've tried many probios over the last 6 years. Garden of Life's was OK. Solaray OK (12bill, I think). Now (6bill OK). UDOs (30bill Good, but expensive). Candy Bar with Howaru strain (Good, but expensive). Good Belly drink (Good, but expensive). Living Streams liquid probios 2nd gen. (Better, but I may have experienced a slight shock when stopping, and expensive) I can't remember them all. However, I do think its good to rotate multiple (at least three) probio products so your body doesn't get used to them. Just my anecdote.

The best bang for my buck, currently I've been taking them for 3 months, are: Jarrow EPS mixed strains (yellow/red box) and
Jarrow IBS l. plantarum (blue/white box) and
Jarrow Saccharomyces Boullardii plus MannaOligoSaccharides (aqua-green and white pill bottle). MOS is a potent good sugar. SEE BOOK: Sugars That Heal by Mondoa. Get the biggest quantity boxes. I only take this last one once a week. I will likely seek out another standalone S. Boulardii product.

I take at least one of each of the EPS/IBS separately without/with food a day. Some say to take before bed without food. I definitely notice a difference in stool appearance and no cramping when I stick to my diet. I might add mainstream studies point out probios only stimulate the body to produce more of its own probios; so it's good to add prebios to the diet like those found in cooked plantains (banana looking things), and steamed broccoli.

I also swear by 3400mg a day--a pill with each meal or 2 with breakfast/dinner--of ENTERIC COATED omega 3s of fish oil. I take Source Naturals Ultra Potency Fish Oil. All products are cheapest at iherb --keep this on down low or else it will likely become a WalMart of sorts, I presume.
11-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #15
mnsun

I must caution 90% of probios out in big-box stores do nothing. Same with fish oil. The Jarrow ones listed are the cheapest brand I've found with the Institut Rosell strains. These are legit. The Howaru strains may be good too, though expensive.
11-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
M2M

My Support Groups:
I just ordered from Market America a product called Digestive Enzyme.. I am going to have my daughter start on it when it gets in. she is also doing omega 3 and Boswellia and some other multi vitamin and OPC3 from market america. she is doing pretty good; not on any prescription medicine at this point.
I am hoping this Disgestive Enyzyme will even make her better; I look for anything that has anti-inflammatory agents to it.
11-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
ericb

I suggest Nature's Inner Health "Probiotic 12". It has a physician grade blend of 12 probiotics and doesn't hit your wallet as hard as some of the other brands. It has helped me a bunch.
11-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
mnsun

Go here for international supplement/pharma brands that sell the strains i mentioned earlier: http://probi.se/en/partners/probis-partners/

I've found fish oil and probios to be essential, as I haven't taken pharmaceuticals for 5+ years. They definately work for me, though I was diagnosed with a super-inflamed terminal ileum which led to a resection/appendectomy. Crohnnies with problems more systemic or in other organs, I cannot speak to probio's effectiveness.
11-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #19
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I used to take garden of life and felt great taking two to three a day. I now take align and think it doesn't do anything. I'll probably go back to garden of life.
12-10-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
Lise-Anne

I take Metagenics' lactoviden and bifoviden. I also swear by ENTERIC COATED Omega 3 fish oils. Operative word: enteric coated so that the capsule makes it to the intestines instead of being broken down in the stomach.
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
Hogg

I have Crohn's and have tried Align Probiotics twice now with nasty results. Both times I made it about 3 weeks in and had increased pain, gas, etc. For whatever reason that brand makes me flare up pretty bad but it gets better after about 2 weeks of being off them.
01-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Align does nothing for me.
01-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
Andrea

hey everyone.. i have chron's. i'm taking garden of life probiotics with the added HSO soil. I have only been on them a short while and am also on a 2 month taper of steroids from a recent flare. so we will see! fingers crossed!
01-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
Jessika

Crohns and celiac sufferer
I take solaray multidolpholius 12 strain - the best ever! Within one week of stopping flagyl and taking the probiotic instead I had regular stool without blood in it and my stomach behaves! I love it and I haven't taken it regularly lately where I was in the hospital but now that i'm out I'm going to start again.
01-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #25
lseibert

My Support Groups:
I have Crohn's
I have used Swanson Ultimate Pro-biotic Formula: 66 billion organisms, for 4-5 years and it works great for me. I have tried others with less organisms, and I go back to these.
I think pro-biotic's are very important to my gut health.

[SIZE="1"]Crohn's Disease and IBS
Diagnosed: 2001(symptoms for 22 years prior)
Currently on:
Desipramine for IBS, Vicodin for pain
Surgery: Small bowel strictureplasty 02/19/11 and 11/17/11, then a small bowel resection 4/6/12, Hemicolectomy 9/2016
Supplements:
Multivitamins & Vitamin D3
Prednisone: Never again
Imuran (azathioprine)= Pancreatitis
Entocort EC (Budesonide) and medical adhesives = Rash
Humira=numb feet & hands
01-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #26
Tryagain

My Support Groups:
Hi I am new to this forum and interested in members experiences with pro biotics. The most popular from this thread seems to be garden of life but I have no idea what this is. Is it garden of life primal defence probiotics people are taking ?
I am struggling to manage my Crohns, and about to start the scd diet which I would also like to supplement with some probiotic . Grateful for any advice.
( I have terminal ideal Crohns diagnosed 11 years ago.
01-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #27
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
1. Crohn's
2. Culturelle, Florastor, Garden of Life Primal Defense, Vitacost brand
3. It took Florastor a week, all the others a 6-8 weeks
4. Florastor really improved my overall bowel condition, less gas, diarrhea, bloating, yeast infection cleared up, helped kick c. diff, clearer skin and skin generally less sensitive. Primal Defense helped skin clear and I digest food much better.

Just a note, my GI said it takes 2 weeks to a month to establish a strong bacterial colony and is dependent on regularly taking these probiotics. If you skip two days you've killed the colony, and you have to start over from scratch.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
01-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #28
Tryagain

My Support Groups:
Thanks mountaingem that's helpful. I'll have to see if we can get anything similar prescribed in the NHS .
01-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #29
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I read in a pharmacy mag, that we should change about our probiotics so the nasty bugs dont get used to it, we have to confuse them.
01-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #30
Jessika

1. Crohn's
2. Culturelle, Florastor, Garden of Life Primal Defense, Vitacost brand
3. It took Florastor a week, all the others a 6-8 weeks
4. Florastor really improved my overall bowel condition, less gas, diarrhea, bloating, yeast infection cleared up, helped kick c. diff, clearer skin and skin generally less sensitive. Primal Defense helped skin clear and I digest food much better.

Just a note, my GI said it takes 2 weeks to a month to establish a strong bacterial colony and is dependent on regularly taking these probiotics. If you skip two days you've killed the colony, and you have to start over from scratch.
How does it kill the colony? I understand the longer you take it the better your colony thrives, but how could not taking it one day kill them?