• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you have to fast before a CT scan?

Hi everyone! I’m waiting to hear from my gi’s nurse about when I have to go in for a ct scan. I don’t know any details – I just called my gi’s office this morning because after a month on pred I’m still bleeding/having lrq pain, and she called back to say I needed a ct scan asap to check for abscesses/fistulas. (I don’t have a fever and the pain’s not very bad) I’m on pred, which makes me totally mental, and I’m sitting here worrying about how to prep for the ct scan (it’s been ages since I had one).

Do I have to fast? If I have to fast, how will I take my pred the morning of the scan (supposed to take with food)?

My crohn’s right now is tending to constipation – if I’m constipated on the day of the scan, is that a problem? Do you always drink that barium crap with ct scans? If so, does that matter if I’m constipated?

Sorry to ramble – I always feel so lost dealing with my current gi’s office (I’m switching docs next month, hope it’s better!), like they don’t have time for me and don’t explain anything if I don’t ask about it directly. So I thought I’d ask you guys while I’m waiting to hear from the nurse.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey you!! As far as I remember, my Ct scan (last one) was nothing after midnight before the day of the test. I had just a sip of water in the Am no prep but my situation and clinic could be different. I had to drink barium whilst laying down on my right side, no not easy but it was the new way our hospital did the procedure. It depends on your diseased area... then they give you a contrast by IV that goes in warm , makes ya feel like ya gotta pee. Our clinics and docs give us a sheet prior to the big event and you follow what they say. Of course we are Canadian, and you ain't :lol:

Let us know what the nurse says and how the scan goes. Most times you don't get results right away. Good luck and hugs! ;)

Of course we are Canadian, and you ain't :lol:
bhahaha! I need a little envious face smiley! I'm worried I'm not going to get an instruction sheet because the nurse said she was going to try to get me an appt tomorrow, but the appt will be at the hospital in-network for my new insurance, which is not the hospital associated with my current gi's office... so I'm worried about getting accurate info... or any info, come to think of it...!

Might have to move north one of these days, huh? :p

I remember that constrast stuff... I have to pee like ever 2 mins on this dang-blasted pred, so I hope I don't actually pee myself... :shifty-t:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
They should give you instructions, it would be a waste of time and money if you are supposed to prep and they dont tell you. Blasted insurance and nurses lol. Good luck with your test. You can wear poise pads if you need ;). Just kidding, you will be just fine! Come North, we don't bite, but we have bears lol.

Do I have to fast? If I have to fast, how will I take my pred the morning of the scan (supposed to take with food)?
Hi Sabrina,

Never had a CT scan but I know when I fasted for my colonoscopy they said it was fine to take my meds without food

Hope it goes well!

Rachel x

:hug: Thanks Pen!

Blasted insurance
Yeah, no kidding!!! It is so much stress just trying to coordinate what I can start having done in-network before I see my new, in-network gi (next month, can't come soon enough!) - my pred-head just can't deal with it!!!! :voodoo:

You can wear poise pads if you need ;).
Don't think I haven't considered it!!!!!!! :ylol2:

Come North, we don't bite, but we have bears lol.
Bears! Help!

Thanks Rachel! I wrote myself and note to remember to ask the nurse about taking the pred - it messes with me enough taking it at the same time every morning, I don't even want to know what would happen if my dose was delayed!!!!

Ok, so the nurse just called and the appt is for 3pm tomorrow - I only have to fast for 6hrs beforehand, so I can eat breakfast and take my pred like normal. Yay! (probably the only time I'll ever say "yay" to taking pred!!!). I'll let you guys know what happens.

good luck! i had to drink the slightly off kilter gatorade with mine and then they also did the iv infusion during the ct. it really does make you feel like you have to pee, but you don't. so weird. but not bad.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Way too late with this one it would seem! :ylol:

Matt has had numerous scans and the stock standard here is a 4 hour fast and meds with a sip of water is no problem.

Good luck Inky!.......:goodluck:

Dusty. xxxxxxxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Don't fret over the CT scan. It's a breeze. As Pen said, the IV causes some weird sensations at first (metallic taste in mouth and you feel like you wet yourself), but it passes quickly.

Good luck, Sabrina! Please report back.

Aw, thanks everybody!!! I made it :ybiggrin: The worst part was being so nauseated afterwards from not eating all day, and then having to drive an hour home through very hilly countryside that aways makes me carsick anyway... compared to that, the scan was nothing! And being on pred really dampens my sense of taste, so the crap to drink wasn't even that bad!

Funny story - had to drink two cups of that stuff, and when I went up to the desk for the second the nurse said I looked way too cheerful for having just drunk the first cup... told her I can't taste very well on the pred... a tech walking by said, "oh, that's good 'cuz their giving you the vomit flavor!"!

Anyway, I really appreciate you guys - I'll let you know when I hear the results.

CT scans are a breeze, it's the small bowel follow through that sucks. The barium is thicker than paint, and hard to keep down. In my case, all of the tests that were conducted on me failed to show the severity of my case. All the doctors could say is that my sed rate ( level of inflammation) was through the roof. I was in the worst pain ever and severely constipated, aside from the blood. I was scheduled to have an ileostomy the very next day. I guess you could say that my colon rectal surgeon went into surgery blindfolded. My surgery was only suppose to be anywhere from 4-6 hours, but it lasted 9. After my surgery, my surgeon pretty much said that it had looked like a time bomb had gone off in me. My large intestine had become fibriotic and wrapped around my spleen and both sides of my pelvis. My small bowel had dropped, and was embedded into my sacral area, and I also had a bowel obstruction. I had know idea that Cohn's was capable of doing so much damage. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though technology is advanced these days, sometimes they fail to show the severity of some cases. In that case, it would be mine. I really do hope that your test results show that everything is ok.

So, the nurse just called and the ct didn't show "anything conclusive". Gi says I need another colonoscopy, but I'm waiting to see my new Gi (in-network with new insurance) - have an appt in 2 weeks. Argh. I feel like crap - nausea, headaches, mucus, blood... blech. So now I'm waiting to hear back if there's anything I can do except drag myself through the next two weeks.

Terriernut

Isnt it amazing it's inconclusive with so many symptoms!!??? Makes you want to vomit in their office...it does doesnt it???

Here....have my bowel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Sabrina I am surprised you were on Pred whilst having any test, they should know sometimes pred gives a false negative...doctors ugh :yfaint:

Aw, thanks guys! Your replies make me feel better - It's frustrating just hearing the "summary" from the nurse... I don't know what "nothing conclusive" means. My GI ordered the ct scan because the nurse said he suspected an abcess/fistula, so I guess "nothing conclusive" means no obvious abcess/fistula????

Pen - forgot that about the pred, ugh is right! Thanks, I'll add that to the list of things to ask the new guy about.

So, the nurse called me back and said that my current gi is going to call the new gi's office and see if he can get my appt moved up. I'm thankful for that, but kinda wondering why my current gi doesn't just up my dose of pred - I'm only on 30mg. Every gi before my current one started me at at least 40mg. Not that I want to take more pred (!!!), but since I'm already on it why not increase me to 40mg and see if that works??? Anyway, didn't think to ask the nurse about that today, of course. Darn pred - I can't remember anything unless it's written on a piece of paper and I'm staring right at it!!!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Ah hell Sabrina...that sucks...:(

If the Pred isn't working another issue could be that the inflammation is masking the fistula/abscess, that happened with Matt.

Good luck hun and I hope you get solid answers soon!

Dusty. xxx

Hey!:). I'm kind of a pro at CT scans. If barium makes you sick (like it does me) next time ask your nurse for a substitute:). When I was really sick and nauseated they were able to give me contrast in sprite so I could keep it down. Usually, they substitute the barium for contrast in water or contrast in crystal light. Much easier to drink!

I had symptoms very similar to you when I was first diagnosed. My first doctor put me on pred to manage inflammation and pain. Then, abruptly, I crashed and ended up in the hospital with a staph inflection and a 11 cm absess. A GI in the hospital told me the pred just masked the severity of my crohns and made me much worse.

So maybe if your dr isn't upping the pred, there's a reason. I hope your CT went well and that you get good news!

Hey Sab!

Sorry to hear things still suck. I hope you can get your appt. bumped up sooner. I can't imagine how you've been dealing with all the symptoms for so long. I hope your new doc has the magic touch!

Aw, thanks Marisa! I've just got to drag myself to next Wednesday... this fatigue is crazy bad. And really wish my brain would work!!!

Speaking of brain not working - if the new gi does a colonoscopy while I"m on pred, will the pred "mask" if there's a fistula/abcess? Or would he be able to see if there's something more than just inflammation going on since it's looking from the inside?

My fistulas/absesses have always shown up on CT scans. But I am not on pred. I don't think it would mask them though. I just know that it can mask the severity of the crohns but the science behind it is beyond me. I've seen 4 GIs in the last year or two and all 4 said no to pred.