Share Facebook

09-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
mhaller7

Paleo diet

Has anyone tried the paleo diet? I have read several articles about Paleo being a cure for Crohn's. It is a lifestyle without wheat and grains, think glutten free, and because glutten inflames your already inflammed intestins removing it from your diet can help.

I tried to post a link but cannot because I am new to the forum. You can google Paleo and Crohn's. Robb Wolf has some great articles, he is the author of The Paleo Solution.
10-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
hugh

My Support Groups:
google 'How to Keep Feces Out of Your Bloodstream' for an excellent article on the paleo diet
I've been looking at the paleo diet and a very similar diet (SCD) specifically targeting crohn's and UC.
I was surprised that a search of this site for SCD found nothing.....
(sorry, found the posts, must have been my search technique)
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet eliminates all grains and complex sugars but allows yogurt, most cheese and some legumes which are all excluded in the paleo diet.

go to all the w's breakingtheviciouscycle.info/index.htm
or google 'scd food lady' for one of the may SCD sites

Proponents of the diet claim there is an 80% recovery rate for Crohn's disease and a 95% recovery rate for diverticulitis. They also say that improvement could occur after as little as three weeks and that full recovery was possible for many people with diverticulitis, irritable bowel syndrome and celiac disease after one year. There isn't reliable evidence, however, that confirms these recovery rates or suggests that it's effective.

Last edited by hugh; 10-01-2011 at 11:30 PM.
10-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
RFarmer

Hello people.

The thing about diets, is that every single diet-practitioner advocates that their diet will cure ______. ________, for us, being Crohn's.

I know people say that the only reason diets are not used as the main form of treatment is because medical companies want money. This, I'm pretty sure, is a load of Crohn's crap. As a community, members of crohnsforum tend to share their experiences with the various diets out there. Some diets work for some people. But the general consensus is that there is no single diet which can cure crohn's, and there is no single diet that will help everyone. If there was a curing diet, we'd know about it, whether the pharma companies wanted us to or not.

An 80% recovery rate is quite the boast, and because everyone advocates for themselves, it is terribly hard to believe. Especially because of the sheer number of scammers out there trying to get you to buy their miracle product/try their diet.

On a side note, there's a reason links are blocked to newer members. I'm don't want to sound angry, because it's really not my place, but you might get some flak for trying to direct us somewhere. Just be ready.

Also, welcome to the forum.
10-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
hugh

My Support Groups:
hi,
thanks for the tips Ben,
I'm not trying to upset anyone (nobody has to go looking, just the ones who are interested).

I was just listening to a local radio show (we are what we eat, the health report, abc national radio, oops).
An interview with Professor Charles Mackay, Director of Immunology and Inflammation, Monash University, Melbourne about the exiting new discoveries in the relationship between gut flora and auto-immune and inflammatory diseases.
He has no idea what is happening, just that it is happening

You are right though, lots of quacks out there spruiking all sorts of sorts of bulldust and rainbow powder,
The thing i can't stand are the people saying that food doesn't matter

Never underestimate the greed of a large corporation though, pure evil.....

Last edited by hugh; 10-02-2011 at 04:19 AM.
10-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
RFarmer

Oh it absolutely does matter, a great deal. And specific diets help many people maintain/get into remission.

But what you do want to watch out for are people claiming to "cure" crohn's... It's a chronic disease. We don't have a cure. And anyone uneducated enough to say their product will "cure" Crohn's, likely has no idea what effect their diet/product will have on a Crohn's patient.

A little while back, some guy joined the forum who was some sort of holistic doctor quack. His appointments were phone calls. He didn't do prescriptions: he just told you what supplements would "cure" you, and then you had to find them yourself. It was like, 150$ for a phone call. And no money back if his advice didn't make you better.

Obviously it was an absolute scam. But it goes to tell that you have to be careful. People don't seem to have any qualms about preying on the sick :/

Out of curiosity, are you trying the paleo diet?
10-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I eat a paleo diet and found it helped my gut considerably. It didn't cure me, but certainly made my life better, and livable. it is rare now for me to have a flare up. Like Rob Wolf's sight. Saw also he was on TV over the weekend, a Discovery Show, where he and others dressed up as cavemen and women and lived off the land for 10 days. Interesting show. Don't think I would make it very long in the wild living that way, but enjoyed the broadcast.

Saw Dr. Harris on his paleo information eating sight had some details on the show Wolf was on.

http://www.archevore.com/
10-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

A friend of mine with Crohn's (not on this site) is strict paleo and says that it is helping his symptoms tremendously. He is still on Humira though, so it is not diet alone.
I haven't considered it because I like my cookies and breads too much, but if my meds weren't working, it is somthing I would have to consider.
I have read in several places that is working well for people who have tried it, and it doesn't seem like "another diet" that someone is trying to sell. I guess it's similar to SCD, (but more like South Beach, maybe?) which a few of our members have had good luck with.
10-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
crohnsandcoilitis!

I was diagnosed in March and have tried so many different drugs, etc. that it is exhausting...and I still struggle every day. About 2 months ago (though no Dr. recommended it or advocated for it), my mom and I decided to try gluten free. I didn't think it made a hugh difference until a few weeks ago we experimented and bought stove top stuffing/pasta/donuts, etc. and decided to eat 'normal.' I had chix/stove top for dinner and cheated and ate the donut for a snack. I woke up around 3am screaming in pain....it lasted for several hours. So now I am back to gluten free.
I know several crohns people who have tried gluten free diets and have had lots of success and are pain free....but they are definitely not cured.
Just something else you can try and see if it works for you because as we all know what works for 1 crohnie doesn't always work for the next.
My mom has been to several gluten seminars and it quite surprised at what she has learned about gluten and diseases...No Cures for diseases but lots of good research has been done with alzheimers patients, diabetics, etc.
10-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #9
EmAitch88

i've become very interested in going gluten free after testing positive for Celiac disease (only through bloodwork, endoscopy was negative. still not sure what's goin on). i have heard that a gluten free diet has been beneficial for many Crohnies. i don't know much about the paleo diet, how does it differ from a gluten free one? or are they pretty much the same...my Crohns is currently not too bad (knock on wood). things looked really good on my last colonscopy on the 6th. but i'd like to make things even BETTER by trying a diet that may help.

thanks for posting, i'm going to look into this, mhaller7! oh and welcome!!!

Asacol hd dr 800mg
Azathioprine 50mg
10-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #10
MDCA

Some people who are paleo get cult-ish about it which initially turned me off it, but it honestly does seem to help a lot of people. I haven't tried it yet because 1. I love baked goods and 2. the paleo diet seems to be very heavy in meats and veggies/salads. I can't tolerate raw veggies/salads right now so with everything having to be so cooked and bland.. I just don't know if I could do it yet.
11-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
rdsoxfan

I did the SCD diet for about 4 months and I noticed a significant difference in how I felt every day. it was a pain to do though- being so careful as to what i could and couldn't eat and having to prepare everything from scratch. I stopped the diet about a month ago because I was travelling for 3wks and it wasn't possible to stay on it. The first week off was tough as my body adjusted back to eating grains. After that I felt good for 2 weeks but this past week it's back to feeling abdominal pain and bloating and discomfort. I look forward to returning to the diet when I get home this weekend.

Drugs: Humira, Pentasa, Immuran and Entocort
Supplements: Folic acid, SCD complete multivit, Vit D, Zinc, and Probiotics

Surgery Dec 9, 2011
12-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
hugh

My Support Groups:
if you are curious about paleo this is a "must watch"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=KLjgBLwH3Wc
12-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That reminds me, Dr Eades had an informative article the other day about what our paleo ancestor's ate. New research is showing humans ate a great deal of land animal meats and not much else.

"Are we meat eaters or vegetarians? Part III"

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/l...ians-part-iii/
12-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #14
hugh

My Support Groups:
yeah, everyone has an opinion,

Me?
Meat AND veg, LOTS of veg, easy on the fruit.
Get that whole bullshit idea that paleo means lean out of your heads, eat grass fed
QUALITY over Quantity

The whole debate is a bit of a wank really,
some people do better as vegetarians than others,
some people handle meat better.
The only thing that is common to both is that processed foods,processed vegetable oils, grains and sugar are BAD
01-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
seaofdreams

My Support Groups:
I just wanted to resurrect this thread because I've been on primal/paleo for nearly a year and I'm finding it to be fantastic. I've lost about 20kgs (I was overweight and now am at a healthy weight) and never feel like I'm restricting my diet or missing out. The most important part of it to me being an overly scientific minded person (if I can't see scientifically proven data then I'm not interested haha) is that it's backed up by countless studies and decades of research. It can be a little bit more expensive because as Hugh said above, it's about quality, not quantity and there are some foods I have to omit because it doesn't sit right with my stricture (such as almonds with the skin on and onions) but I have honestly never felt better in my life.

I understand that what works for me will not work for the next person or fit in with their lifestyle or beliefs but after the results that I'm getting from eating a diet made up of natural, whole foods like veggies, fruit, nuts, eggs and organic meats while eliminating well known aggravating foods like dairy and wheat I would recommend those who are interested to give it a go.

Some great resources to check out are:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
http://robbwolf.com/

"Never feel guilty for being sick and try to stop comparing yourself and your life to others. You're doing the best you can under the circumstances you have and you're doing great."

Diagnosed with Crohn's in August 2009
Medication: 20mg Methotrexate injection weekly
Supplements: Folic Acid|Vitamin D|B12|Iron Complex|Magnesium Complex|Calcium|
01-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #16
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I heard an interesting interview on the radio a couple of months ago from an American cardiologist about eliminating wheat from the diet.

His book is called Wheatbelly. From what I heard its primarily aimed at reversing obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular ailments. Has anyone else looked at this? I am thinking of picking it up and giving it a read.

Last edited by hawkeye; 01-04-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: punctuation
01-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #17
seaofdreams

My Support Groups:
I heard an interesting interview on the radio a couple of months ago from an American cardiologist about eliminating wheat from the diet.

His book is called Wheatbelly. From what I heard its primarily aimed at reversing obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular ailments. Has anyone else looked at this? I am thinking of picking it up and giving it a read.
I haven't read it myself but I see it referenced a lot of SCD and Paleo websites as well as by people who are intolerant to gluten/Celiac's. If you do check it out, let us know how it is
01-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #18
beaniemill

MDCA, if your not able to get veggies and fruits in because of they are hard to digest, I would highly recommend getting a juicer. I actually just got one and I am amazed at how well I reacted to them and how good they were. I am just using 3 carrots and 1 apple right now for a glass in the morning. Like i said I just got one, but I think I am going to like it cause raw fruits and veggies outside of ripe bananas are out of my league also.
01-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I've been reading up on the SCD diet. Only problem I see is that this particular cottage cheese (dry curd) doesnt seem to be available in the UK.

So, I've been looking into the GAPS diet.

I am starting wheat free tomorrow. (so much for bacon egg bagels from now on!)
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
01-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
I've been gluten free for 6 weeks and have had no improvement. However, if I try to add it back, I get even worse. I kinda feel like I messed something up in my body in that I wasn't having a problem with gluten until I eliminated it. So now I'm still as sick, but can't have gluten (or corn, red meat, caffeine).
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
01-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Stephanie, have you added some serious pro biotics while you tried the gluten/wheat free diet? I'm so sorry that its working, but not working completely. Then again, it may be alot more than wheat...maybe some milk proteins bother you as well? Or some of the veg they have in the diet?

I'm doing it as much to get rid of my huge, GI-Normormous GUT. While the rest of me looks like a starving thing! However, I'm starting Bio-Kult probiotics at the same time.
01-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
I eliminated dairy for 4 of those weeks. I was able to add it back with no problems. I've been taking a good probiotic for about 7-8 weeks.
01-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Thats the problem with us Crohnies. Nothing is perfect for us and it just SUCKS! It makes me jealous of diets working so well for normal people. With Crohns, improvements yes, with alot of things. But for alot of us, it's just never 'the full monty'.
01-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
You know, for years, I was a self-termed 'lazy' Crohnie. My motto was give me a pill/shot with the least inconvenience to my lifestyle. I always said if it got bad enough, I'd look into my diet. That moment came a couple months ago, while failing Cimzia and Imuran and still miserable. I finally realized that the power to get better was within my control. All I had to do was eat better. I gave it all I had. Now I'm just bitter and wanting the quick fixes again. The diet just didn't work for me. I'm too scared to go back to my old ways, so I'm staying gluten free, but I don't really believe it's helping.
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #25
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I'm so sorry! Time for the big guns isnt it? Stick with the gluten/wheat free while flaring though, since it helped, even if just a little.
01-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #26
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:

I read WheatBelly by Dr. Davis. Thought it a good read. What was new to me was his write up on how modern wheat is basically a synthetic product called dwarf wheat, created in in the 1950s I believe. Dwarf wheat is an easy crop to grow and harvest, but not so good to eat. From what I gathered, kind of hard to even call what we have in stores today wheat.

The doctor has a blog. I don't recall reading anyone with Crohn's writing in, but I've seen many giving testimonials about long time gastrointestinal distress conditions going away after avoiding wheat.

His blog is at:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/
01-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #27
Beach
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've been gluten free for 6 weeks and have had no improvement. However, if I try to add it back, I get even worse. I kinda feel like I messed something up in my body in that I wasn't having a problem with gluten until I eliminated it. So now I'm still as sick, but can't have gluten (or corn, red meat, caffeine).
Sorry the wheat/gluten free diet hasn't worked out! Wheat is an odd food. I've read of some people having great difficulty eating wheat once avoided for awhile. I believe it is the only food known for doing that. My father seems to be that way. He, along with I, avoid wheat in the family. Just a simple cookie appears to now cause dad great stomach discomfort. I haven't tried reintroducing wheat into my diet over the last 5 years. It helped my gut when I went gluten free. It didn't cure me, but I'm fortunate to not be nearly as ill as I was before. I don't have a desire to go back to my old eating habits.

Saw this the other week, with many writing in about problems with eating wheat after avoiding it for awhile.

"Do you have food poisoning?"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/1...ood-poisoning/
01-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
KWalker

A little while ago I considered doing a gluten free diet. I have been pretty well in remission for awhile now, but I considered the diet to better my chances of staying in remission.... Then I realized gluten free=no cake. I quickly decided against that idea. Knock on wood I've been doing great without meds and eating anything I want, but atleast if I do have a flare up ill be sitting on the couch with a giant piece of cake lol. Its worth it to me. I'm sure most won't agree, but why try and stop the unstoppable?
01-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #29
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I see nothing wrong with that KWalker. Some of us are sensitive to wheat, some of us are sensitive to sugar, some...fats, and on and on. We just have to do what works for us as individuals. I know some crohnies that eat veggies with no probs (grrrr) so...to each their own! But...there are such things as wheat free cakes etc...although I have yet to try them. But I will!!!
01-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #30
hugh

My Support Groups:
six weeks isn't that long in terms of diet.
If you get worse by adding them back then you are probably better off without them. (you always had a problem with it but didn't know until you gave it up, that's how most food intolerances work)

There are a few other things to give up before you say it hasn't worked.......
-ALL complex (white) carbs
-Sugar (and artificial sweeteners, but some honey is ok)
-Other grains and grain like crops - barley, oats, quinoa,
-Starchy veg - potatoes, turnips
-All processed foods
-Anything with SOY in it

I know it is daunting but you have done the hard part.

Two other things i'd suggest....

-Food isn't the only cause, you might need to address vaccinations and other issues
A good classical homeopath - preferably with medical training, (definitely not a wishy-washy, crystals and aromatherapy type)

-An elimination diet
I seem to have problems with most vegetable oils, so i stick to good olive oil.
You might need to find a few triggers that are not good for you (there are strong links between legumes and intestinal permeability, and a definite link between intestinal permeability and crohn's

"During a period of at least one month, but preferably three months, you abstain totally from the following foods:

All cereal grains like wheat, rye, barley, corn and rice and derived products like bread and pasta
Legumes like beans, lentils and dry peas, including soy and peanuts and derived products like oils
The nightshades like potatoes, tomatoes, (bell) peppers and eggplant (sweet potatoes are no nightshades)
Eggs
Dairy
All plant seed oils except coconut oil and some virgin cold-pressed olive oil
Nuts (they also contain a lot of the proinflammatory omega-6)
Processed and canned foods
Starchy foods, sugars, artificial sweeteners, soft drinks, candy, fruit juices
Alcoholic beverages
All additives (E numbers)

After the period of one to three months you can carefully and separately reintroduce eggs, nightshades, legumes and dairy and determine what these foods do to you. If they make you feel worse, eliminate them forever. In any case abstain from grains and soy for life; they (the lectins they contain) at the end of the day bring havoc to everybody. Furthermore keep severely limiting the other foods from the list above"

I know it sounds like HELL, but i'm loving it 95% of the time