• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Needing help

Hi,
I was recently diagnosed with a severe case of Chron's disease. I had symptoms since August of 2008, originally thought it was ulcerative colitis, but did not have a confirmed diagnosis until now. I previously have been on almost every medication possible, and spent the last year on a double dose of remicade plus entocort up until May, with no results. On June 30th, I had an ileostomy, without the removal of the rectal stump in hopes that it could be reconnected in the future. I am now told that my options would be to go back on the remicade (which I may react to since I have not taken it in 6 months) and clear the diseased rectal area, then in a year proceed with the reconnection. Only if the medication works. Or, go in to have the rectal stump removed and have a permanent ileostomy. In both cases the chron's still may come back but no one knows when. My doctor did not give me his opinion either way. I am also wanting to get pregnant with a 2nd child, I am 35 and don't want to wait too much longer to get pregnant, but don't want to until I have all my treatment options and surgeries behind me. I am looking for advice from people who have had the complete ileostomy, and their cases of chron's coming back. What happens when it comes back even after all this, how is it treated then when its in the small bowel? What is the long term prognosis in these cases? I am feeling very uninformed of my options and treatment. Does anyone have any information for me?

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am sorry your severe Crohn's isn't responding to treatment, and you needed a temporary ileostomy. How have you been feeling since the procedure? Many have found having a stoma to be greatly beneficial. I hope it has helped you find some relief.

I highly suggest checking out the Stoma Subform. I think you'll find it helpful. And if you post some of your questions there, I bet you'll get a good response.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: to the forum! Sorry you are going through alot at this time and I can't help you with your questions or your type of problem. Crohn's is not curable as you know and I have had two resections and my Gi says the more surgery, the quicker it can come back. As for Remicade, I do know it helps for your problem, didnt know you could have a reaction, I did the first time.

I hope someone who is in your situation can help you. I see you are Canadian, so therefore Cimzia isn't an option. What about Humira? Hope you get some relief and answers soon. Glad you found us!

Good to have you here! :D

As suggested, I think you will get a much better response about the procedure on the stoma subforum.

As the other poster noted you are in Canada, is medicinal cannabis legal there (I thought that it was)? Check the following medical paper out and see if maybe it offers an option that your GI did not recommend:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21910367

Last edited by a moderator:

David

Co-Founder
Welcome :) I'm sorry you're having so much trouble, you poor thing :(

Here is the stoma forum our friends above mentioned. And here is our surgery forum where you also might get some good information.

Best of luck to you! Please keep us updated. we're here for you.