• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Terrible depression with prednisone

Hello
Has anyone suffered terrible depression and Anxiety with prednisone, my son has been on 40 mg for two weeks and is now tapering down by 5 mg per week.(after calling the doctor she agreed to taper a little faster with 10mg per week and the steroid dose not seem to be helping much) He is not able to concentrate feels hopeless and is very short tempered. He is in college and states he can't do the work now because of how he feels. I feel so bad for him I don't know how to help. Has anyone out there experienced similar symptoms with prednisone? I am trying to contact the college to see if he can take a leave.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yes!!! One of the reasons most people detest pred, your son is young and shouldnt have to deal with that problem. It makes you feel whizzy and can't concentrate. Best to keep him away from anything with caffeine because that makes it alot worse. Coke, or coffee and some teas will make it worse. As he tapers it will slow down, and in the future try to avoid it if you can, not a nice drug. Hope he has alot of calcium and Vitamin D3 in his regimen...it is crucial! As soon as he tapers down he will feel better.

When does he take his pred? Hopefully with food? Take care.

I've been on steroids a lot (on them at the moment, been on for a month) and one of the things I've managed to avoid is depression (touch wood). Is he suffering with other symptoms that could be making the depression worse? Such as weight gain, trouble sleeping etc?
I go to the gym regularly and I find that really keeps me in check mentally and physically, try and get him to do a bit of exercise, even if it's just a walk - it will make him feel much better mood wise and also it's good to combat the ravenous steroids appetite haha.

Hope he's okay and the depression shifts

Vicky xxxxx

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome! I'm sorry your son is having so much trouble with the prednisone :( Poor guy. You may want to check out our enteral nutrition forum as it, if stuck with, has remission rates about on par with prednisone without the side effects.

All my best to you and your son :)