• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi

Hi i'm Amanda i have had Crohns for 5 yrs and still struggling with it all. I need to find a diet i can stick with and not just when i.m unwell, but i have a family to feed every day, I think i need to go down the route of a low carb diet as of late i have been eating alot more pasta and potatoes then i should of, and have been suffering because of it. I have been advised to go on a new type of medication after i come off steroids some time in jan. which i would rather not do. Has any one got alternative meal ideas and have the same problems with carbs. Im hopping i can get right myself so i don't have to use the meds. Thanks Amanda

Welcome to the forums here and sorry for the struggles lately.

Check out the food section on here and the wiki as I believe both will have some information for you. I'm on the "Eat what I feel like and deal with it later" diet right now so I don't have much help for you there unfortunately although I am a huge believer of the everything in moderation style of eating especially if you have a family. Best of luck!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome Amanda! I am not too good with diet either. As soon as I start feeling better, I eat worse, and then I start feeling bad again. It's a vicious cycle.

But if you think you are having an issue with carbs/gluten, then perhaps you should look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). It's a more strict version of a gluten free diet. It's tough to stick with, but supposedly it can greatly reduce Crohn's symptoms. If I was diligent enough, I'd give it a try.

Good luck!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Amanda and welcome. In addition to what was said above, I wanted to point you in the direction of our diet forum in case you hadn't seen that. There's lot of ideas there but it's about finding what works best for you. I personally am a huge advocate of all natural and organic then finding the foods within that class that work for you.

Take care!