Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Just pooped out my pills (Asacol)

10-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
jonnyb

Just pooped out my pills (Asacol)

Hi there,

Hope everyone's doing ok today. Sorry to be a bit graphic but I've just been to the toilet and pooped out two Asacol tablets which were fully in tact and looked like I'd just taken them out the bottle!

I've been on Asacol now for a month, and two days ago just started a 40mg dose of Prednisone. Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Should I be concerned?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks so much,

Jonny.
10-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Amylou

Hi Jonny B!! I was put on those after it was found I had crohns during a temp ileostomy operation!! I remember those coming out into my bag fully formed he he weird!! I thought it was because them sort needed the whole system to digest!! But obviously not with your story!! I told my doc and they put me on pentasa instead!! I think it was Something to do with the coating mine were red tablets if I remember correctly!! I remember saving the tablet to show doc ha!! I would speak to doc about it!! They may change your meds if its not suiting ya!! :-)
10-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Jessi

My Support Groups:
Jonny and Amy... this is normal for Asacol.

I was on Asacol HD, and was alarmed when I found the pills in my toilet, as well. So I investigated.

Asacol pills have a small perforation in them that begins to open once it reaches the TI or the Cecum. It slowly releases medicine into your colon as it passes through (only releasing the amount needed). Then the shell of the pill is expelled with your stool. This is often called "ghost pill."

I hope this helps you to not worry over it. I did my fair share of worrying, as it costs so much - it BETTER be doing it's job!!

Dx'd with Psoriasis in 1993
Dx'd with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2004
Dx'd with Ulcerative Colitis on May 18, 2011

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anon.
10-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
jonnyb

Thanks very much, really appreciate your advice! I will talk to my doc about Pentasa Amylou, thanks for that. Your words have definitely put my mind at ease Jessi! I got pretty freaked out when I saw both pills in my stools. Thank-you once again, this forum is so great!
10-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
silvermander

My Support Groups:
I saw the Asacol come through and didn't remember it happening when I took it in high school. I also investigated - plastic fork and a long piece of wire. They did have a slit in one end and were partially empty, but the whole thing was a shocker and I didn't even have anyone at home to inspect my poop with me!
New abscess, named Albert! 7/7/12
Prednisone - Way too much & never again!
Cimzia - Started 5/20/11, hoping for the best. Scared that it won't work, like everything else.
Humira/Remicade/Imuran/6MP/Flagyl/ect - Been there, done that & really should get the t-shirt!
10-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
skywench

My Asacol did the same thing. I remember the first time I saw it, I stared at it going WTF??!!

My gastro said that the actual medication is the same with Pentasa and Asacol, it's just where it dissolves itself that differs. Pentasa is made to dissolve in the small intestine/ilium while the Asacol is targeted for the colon.

Diagnosed: Crohn's Disease in 1995
Surgeries: Partial Colectomy December 15, 2010
Meds: Azathioprine, Pentasa, Colestipol

Add yourself to the Crohns Forum map: http://www.zeemaps.com/253605
10-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
sunflower

My Support Groups:
Oh so that is wht I saw!!! I saw two elongated, reddish things in my poo. It wasn't blood, and it was tomato skins. I have been watching for them to be there again. Now that I know, I don't have to investigate further!! I like to know hat doesn't digest in there!! LOL!!
10-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
Slim Johnson

+1

To what Jessi, and Skywench said. Asocol has an enteric coating that dissolves in the small intestine. The husk passing is normal. As it has been mentioned, there is also Pentasa.

Many people also use small fish oil pills to reduce inflammation in the bowel. It works just about as well IMO as the Mesalamine, without all the side effects. YMMV.
10-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #9
jonnyb

Thank-you. I have a tendency to turn into Sherlock Holmes when I poop ever since I first saw blood there and now I scare myself at the slightest thing that doesn't look right. Thank-you for putting my mind at ease.. i really appreciate it
10-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
Slim Johnson

Thank-you. I have a tendency to turn into Sherlock Holmes when I poop ever since I first saw blood there and now I scare myself at the slightest thing that doesn't look right. Thank-you for putting my mind at ease.. i really appreciate it
You are not alone.
10-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
Jessi

My Support Groups:
Not alone at all. We all investigate. We all worry over it, don't we?!
10-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #12
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Just to let you know that if you change to Pentassa, it comes out as well, but it's all grainy. It's like little beige grains of sand. It's supposed to do that, so don't freak out over that either

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

10-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #13
Jessi

My Support Groups:
I think I would prefer the soft shell of Asacol over the grainy itchy stuff of Pentasa.
10-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
skywench

hehe You don't even know the grains are there if you don't look. They're tiny little things and not a huge amount of them.

Is it weird that we all examine our poop so thoroughly? :-)
10-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #15
jonnyb

I'm used to examining it through thoroughly now, and I'll usually do it every few days 'cos I get quite paranoid. At gas stations in the UK they have free gloves by the pumps which are quite useful when sifting through your poop!
10-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #16
Slim Johnson

...At gas stations in the UK they have free gloves by the pumps which are quite useful when sifting through your poop!
I would do better with a colander!!
10-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #17
RFarmer

I think I would prefer the soft shell of Asacol over the grainy itchy stuff of Pentasa.
I'm on salofalk I don't get grainy, itchy, or pass any kind of pill.

BTW this is a lul thread.
10-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
sawdust

My Support Groups:

You see here, my dear Watson, we have an IBD patient...
08-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #19
Tiff

My husband keeps pooping out his Asacol too, and it is painful on him, his butt burns all the time, something needs to happen here. He has an appointment tomorrow and he needs to do something, it's bad enough having Crohn's disease let alone having to go through the pain in his ass! It's rediculous!
08-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
LondonSnow

I would confirm with the docs just to be sure. I've never pooped out a shell myself. Asacol shells are designed to dissolve in an alkali environment IIRC, so you might be suffering from acidosis, which is more common than people think.
08-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #21
Tiff

Thank you, sure sounds like acidosis, very painful. I will post later what the Dr. says.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Just pooped out my pills (Asacol)