Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira... my trek (a diary)

04-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #91
Kev

My Support Groups:
Hey Katiesue... do you think it's even possible that your doc would try putting you back on remicade?

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
04-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #92
katiesue1506

I'm not sure, I only ever had two Remicade infusions... but I dunno if thats enough to still recognize it as an intruder... I just don't know.
04-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #93
TammySue62

My Support Groups:
Hi
Its been awhile.
Yes it is possible to go back on Remicade!
I am in the process right now, just have to get it approved by insurance co.

Tammy

HAVE HAD CROHN'S DISEASE FOR 30 YEARS AND STILL GOIN
04-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #94
Kev

My Support Groups:
Welll, my understanding of remicade is that it MAY be remotely possible to take it again; but for practical purposes it isn't likely that you will be able to. It all hinges on whether, on taking it the first time, the body was able to build up antibodies to it. If it has, then it's unlikely that you'll be able to take it again. All the best; heres hoping you can take it, and that it works for you.
04-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #95
BWS1982

I know a lot about science and biology in many regards, but some of it is a mystery to me at the same time, hence this thought:

If one is immuno-suppressed (Imuran for ex.), does the body have a harder time building antibodies? Like is it handicapped for such a purpose? I don't know what all is "suppressed" when Imuran is taken.

My thinking being that, if the body is first suppressed, then you go on Remicade, go off it, then the body has a hard time building said antibodies.

I have no clue if a real MD would just laugh at me saying that, or if it has any merit, but I am proud of myself for having the insight to conjure up such a concept.

-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in Sept. 2006, currently 28 years old

"Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."

"Men with Spartan lives, simple in their creature comforts, if only to allow for the complexity of their passions." -The X-Files, S4
04-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #96
Kev

My Support Groups:
Benson, I don't think there are any theories, questions, etc., that one should be hesitant to put forward. Asking questions, thinking out loud, theorizing; it's all part of the learning process. Frinstance, I've no clue as to how each of the various immuno suppressors work... whether they simply 'flip a switch' and our bodies don't process the signal to 'attack', or whether the factories in us that produce white cells or anti-bodies are shut down or stopped up. I believe I recall with some that the docs keep an eye on our 'white cell' counts; to me that would indicate that some drugs do directly interfere with our bodies ability to create germ fighting soldiers. I suspect/hope/assume some may just target the HQ. But it's all guesswork on my part... My crude understanding of it is that white cells do the job of fighting general things, and antibodies are custom designed to go after specific things... but they CAN be tied into our overall response system too. For example, 1st bee sting, body produces antibodies to that venom, and marks it as a serious threat... but in some folks, the 2nd sting is targeted for a full blown assualt; not only are antibodies produced, whole body goes into hyper mode; an 'allergic' reaction, which can bring on (OK, I am not even going to try to spell anaphalyxis).. but you get my crude point. Even if not carried to that extreme, if one develops antibodies to a given substance, the body will be better equipped to fight it next go round. That is what makes resuming remicade usually a case of diminishing returns.
04-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #97
katiesue1506

HEY GUYS!!! guess what I got for my bday today.... an earthquake!!! In Indiana... can you imagine that? My mom told me we also had one about a month before I was born (I was a month late).... so I'm thinking that earthquakes are just my way of saying... LOOK OUT HERE I COME!
04-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #98
saidinstouch

I got the northridge, ca earthquake for my bday in 1994! Stupid 7.0+ earthquake even if they claim it was like a 6.4 or something. Anyone and everyone who felt it knows that it was way bigger than what was claimed, but any earthquake over a 7.0 creates a state of emergency where you pay no taxes and what have you so it was declared smaller even in the face of an abundance of evidence stating otherwise!

Is everyone you know in the area ok? As a california resident I've had my share of shakers so I know what they can be like and the worry that friends and family are alright.
04-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #99
katiesue1506

Oh yeah... we are ok... it was a baby one... 5.1 I think? it was kinda cool since I've never been in one before! But I really like natural weather phenomena... earthquakes, tornadoes, the like.
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM   #100
Kev

My Support Groups:
I hear it affected Kentucky too... and its epicentre was 7 miles underground, and was felt as far away as Chicago... Did you order that from Sears, or L.L. Bean?
04-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #101
katiesue1506

Actually... neither, it was ordered online at Target... crazy huh?
04-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #102
Sojourn

Did the animals run for the hills before it happened? I listen to some crazy radio show late at night sometimes where they talk about UFO's and earthquakes. They actually monitor how many runaway dogs there are in Los Angeles each month.
04-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #103
BWS1982

Your birthday was on the 18th of April too? Me too.

We also have the same day as Conan O'Brien and James Woods. Also, Paul Revere made his famous "ride" on that day.

I didn't know about the earthquake until yesterday, as I have been at several dr. appointments, then sleeping 12 hours a day from pred withdrawals. Come to find out that at like 5 AM when things were rattling I was dead asleep.

Last edited by BWS1982; 04-21-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » Humira... my trek (a diary)