Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » TPMT Testing before starting Imuran / Azathioprine

View Poll Results: Was your TPMT tested prior to starting AZA?
Yes I was tested 40 71.43%
No I was not tested 13 23.21%
Beats me 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

02-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #31
spinnychick
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks David I will give a call :-)
Methotrexate
5 months prednisone
Current:
Remicade
02-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #32
nitty

My Support Groups:
My doctor was well ahead of me on this one. He was obviously using his experience and anticipating the course my condition was taking, and suggested checking my TPMT levels "just in case" Aza was going to be needed.
I was not keen to step up my meds, but it turns out he was totally on the ball. My flare kicked off big style, I ended up on steroids and by the time I had had enough and realised I desperately had to get on top of things, the TPMT results were ready (they took 28 days) and I could start the Aza straight away.

If he'd not been so proactive, I'd have had to wait another month for the results, and so have been on the steroids longer while waiting for the Aza to take effect. He saved me a lot of time and grief.
02-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Don't recall if I was tested or not, it was over 20 years ago when I went on Imuran

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
03-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #34
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

Yes, I was tested. It was ran along the other battery of tests like the PPD/Lung x-ray to test for TB and hepatitis tests.

Salofalk failed, Mezavant failed, I'm starting Imuran this week and I can't wait.
03-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #35
spinnychick
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, I was tested. It was ran along the other battery of tests like the PPD/Lung x-ray to test for TB and hepatitis tests.

Salofalk failed, Mezavant failed, I'm starting Imuran this week and I can't wait.
Hey, I was on salofalk & mezavant too, then methotrexate (failed too), then on to remicade, had the 3 loads, then at 5 weeks after 3rd dose, flared again, so now on remicade with the Imuran. You're following in my footsteps.
01-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #36
maja

I'm really confused. I was just prescribed Azathioprine. The PA said i was one of less than 2% of the population per the tpmt test, and that I metabolize the medication. Does this mean I am homozygous or heterozygous? (If that's misspelled, sorry about that.) I will have blood tests every 2 weeks. Does it sound like this is safe? I know I will need to clarify this with the provider, but in the meantime does this make sense? The more I read online the more confused I get.
01-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #37
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hi maja,

Do you mean that you donít metabolise the medication?

If you donít then I donít think it matters whether you are homozygous or heterozygous, only that you donít have the one of the pathways needed to metabolise the drug. That pathway being the enzyme thiopurine methyltransferase (TPMT).

Presence of the enzyme tends to lessen the risk of the developing the more serious side effects of the thiopurne drugs, that does not mean that people with the enzyme wonít get them though. For those without the enzyme a decision to use it by the GI would not be taken lightly and strict monitoring would need to be in place. Some doctors may use Allopurinol in combination with Imuran/6MP as a way of reducing the amount of thiopurne needed to be therapeutic.

Doctors differ in their monitoring regimens but this is the one I prefer, if you donít have the enzyme you would need a stricter regimen than this over the long term:

Table 0901.jpg

I think it best that you discuss with your GI exactly what the results of the test were.

Dusty. xxx

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Imuran/Azathioprine/6-MP » TPMT Testing before starting Imuran / Azathioprine