• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the group, old to the crohn's

Hello. My name is Lorissa and I am living with Severe Crohn's Disease. I was diagnosed in 2005 (my senior year of high school) and have had 2 surgeries since. I am a proud mommy to a handsome little boy named Chase. He is the love of my life and I couldn't be happier to be someone's mommy :ybiggrin: I am currently on Asacol, Cimzia, B-12, Folic Acid, Ferrus Sulfur, Prilosec and will probably be put back on Imuran due to the fact that I am on Cimzia and apparantly they go hand in hand. The only problem with that is I get sick WAY too quickly and it takes WAY too long to get rid of whatever it is that is ailing me. With a 1yr old baby to be responsible for, it's hard to be sick all the time aside from all of the wonderful stomach aches and bathroom trips I am already dealing with. I try to wash my hands and stay as far away from sickness as much as possible but I still end up getting sick. I want to be healthy Crohn's wise but I don't see a way of doing that without having to be sick with colds and flu's and whatever else is going around at the time because of my medications. Also, I've tried working numerous times to appease my pride but time after time I fail. I either end up getting flared up or sick with the flu. I just feel like I have no options sometimes and want to throw in the towel from time to time. Most days the sun couldn't shine any brighter but there are those days that just... suck. If anyone has ANY advice or information to help with this issue I am all ears!! I'm glad I found a forum for this and hopefully a local support group will pop up somewhere as well! I look forward to getting to know all of you and hearing... well, reading... your stories as well.

Welcome Lorissa,

I think you have done well so far being mummy as well :)
I have extensive crohns since my teens although not as severe as some folks here including yourself.
Asacol has been my companion for many years and just recently went up to 8x 400mg tablets per day. Between that and watching my diet things seem to be improving although I have to go for further CT scan soon as I still have a fair bit of trouble at times.
I'm sure someone with more experience in your other meds will be along soon and can offer some advice that may help.
I know what you mean regards cold and flu taking hold and wanting to work although too sick to continue. I think worry is a trigger but its hard not too under the circumstance.
My doc wanted to put me on prednisilone but I didn't feel my symptoms were severe enough to be put back on them at the moment. It may be another option for you though and I didn't see in your med list.

Hang on in there and try to be optimistic. Hope you feel better soon.
Take care

Hi Lorissa,

I totally agree with SandyM. I think it's so courageous of you to take the step and become a mom, which I'm sure anyone will tell you it's a hard job no matter who you are.

I guess I'm a bit different in here since I don't have crohn's myself (but my bf does). But I just wanted to say congratulations on having such a big light in your life, and welcome to the forum.

My advice, hold onto that child of yours with all you can, and be the best parent you can be. Also, be patient with yourself when your body isn't playing along with your day. Sometimes, I have to look around and remember where I am. It can be so overwhelming...