Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Difference between D and loose stools?

10-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
sashaz

Difference between D and loose stools?

Sorry to be so forward, there are alot of different Poohs that people have (even i they dont have IBD). So I want to know when you have loose stools is that the same as D. I am sometimes confused as im always trying to analyse my bathroom habits compared to what i eat and how i feel. You kinda get lost with it all once in a while.
10-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I have the "loose" bms because I have most of my Ileum removed and at first I had D almost 20 times a day, now down to 3, but never a "formed" one. I don't worry of my nutrition because I have been through this for 20 years. Depends on what you eat, and try to avoid imodium. If you are concerned, ask your doctor about Questran (cholestryramine, it helps reduce bile acid). Are you on any meds, and what country are you from?
10-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Jessi

My Support Groups:
This may be helpful to you. This is a link to the Bristol Stool Scale.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/b...ool-scale.html

Dx'd with Psoriasis in 1993
Dx'd with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2004
Dx'd with Ulcerative Colitis on May 18, 2011

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain." ~Anon.
10-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
sashaz

Thanks I am in London. I am not concerned but after coming to this forum you see so much new information its hard not to ask questions.
10-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Carrie630
The Prettiest Princess

My Support Groups:
I differentiate loose stools from D based on urgency unless they're watery in which case its always D. if I get pudding in the toilet I call it D. I never make pudding without a lot of pain and urgency.

That is to say, level 6 and level 7. level 5 can get in there if its being pushed out by 7.

Also - ask whatever you want we talk about poop, no need to try to be delicate about it
10-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Emily

My Support Groups:
Yeah, for me a loose stool is not painful or urgent, but it comes out pretty unformed while the D is painful, urgent, and so watery that I feel like I'm peeing out my butt.
Yeah as Carrie said, nobody here is shy about poop
  • Total colectomy with ileostomy at age 23
infliximab & azathioprine
10-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #7
sashaz

Thanks but on the bristol chart anything other than proper formed pooh (in two shapes) is not correct. I dont know if for years i have been too lax on my personal chart of what makes bad tummy. Anyway i mostly have marked myself as you have noted.

Cheeeeers.
10-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
Carrie630
The Prettiest Princess

My Support Groups:
Sashaz, you're correct about there only being one normal poo on the chart, I think I've seen one like that maybe twice in my lifetime
10-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
LindaS

My Support Groups:
Well, according to that chart, I only have type 6 and 7, which are D. However, for me, unless there is pain involved or a lot of frequency, I don't really consider it D, because then every poop would be diarrhea. And the chart doesn't include butt pee, which is even more watery than type 7 on that chart.

Unless I'm the only one with butt pee (absolutely liquid D)
10-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Cornfieldgal

My Support Groups:
Linda, you are definitely not the only one with butt pee! When I get it it really makes me appreciate good TP.
10-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
LindaS

My Support Groups:
Cornfieldgal, for butt pee, I only use the flushable wet wipes. They are the greatest invention!
10-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
Emily

My Support Groups:
I have been meaning to invest in some flushable wipes and don't know why I havent yet. I'm sure they'd leave my butt feeling less scratchy than dry TP. I use a LOT of toilet paper when I get butt pee, probably too much. Cottonelle wipes sound gentler. thanks for the suggestion Linda, I'm actually gonna get some.
10-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
LindaS

My Support Groups:
There are Up and Up wipes that are even cheaper but work just the same. Up and Up is the Target brand. Just don't try to flush more than 2 at a time because they can clog up the toilet if you flush too many at once. Experience is a great teacher.
10-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #14
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Diarrhoea is normally gauged off the consistency and frequency of bowel motions, with normal being what is normal for the individual, taking into account the changes that can occur within your diet or because of your diet.

Anything up to 3 times a day of "formed" stool is normal for an adult without IBD. If you have IBD then a consistent deviation away from the normal for you would be considered diarrhoea.

So if you normally have loose watery stools because of a bowel resection then that isn't diarrhoea, however if you only ever went twice a day and then suddenly started going 5 times a day then that is diarrhoea.

If you normally have formed stools and go once a day and that changes to twice a day with loose watery stools then that is diarrhoea.

Does that even make sense?

Dusty. xxx
08-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #15
bella2

I'm so glad someone asked this question before. I have been wondering the same thing for quite some time now. Mine are typically not formed but I don't feel the urgency to go instantly unless its something greasy, spicy, or dairy. I'm glad to hear that is "normal" for someone who has IBD and has had part of their ilieum removed.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Difference between D and loose stools?