Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Ileostomy reversal surgery...what's it like?

10-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
SweetPea

Ileostomy reversal surgery...what's it like?

Well, as of tomorrow, it's t-minus 14 days until my reversal surgery. I am nervous because I've heard mixed things about recovery time and pain/complications. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Advice?
10-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
dxw

It's easier than the original surgery. Usually shorter time in theatre and less days in hospital. As you have already had surgery you'll know more about pain management, walking around and all the other things that help you, plus the things to watch for when you go home. Depending on how much and what part was removed in the first surgery it may take a while to get used to your new "normal" bowel habits and sensations, but it's all manageable. I'm sure all will go well. Remember to pamper yourself a little, you've earned the right.
10-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
donna1980

It is much easier than the original surgery, i remember how suprised i was at how easily i could move around after surgery. However it did feel strange using the toilet for bowel movements again!
Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery
10-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I'm up for reversal next year. I'm scared to be honest! Mine was emergency surgery and I know I wasnt in great shape.

For you all who have had the surgery...how long were you in hospital, and how long was it before you were back to work and full tilt??
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
10-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
I just want to wish you the best of luck with your surgery!
I can't wait to hear how well you do. My daughter is scheduled to have her reversal in December

for those that have already had their's done....I am wondering ... what does the scar look like where the stoma used to be ?? Just curious. I keep picturing different things in my mind of how it may look LOL.
and Austin (18)
DX: Crohn's 7/2013
10-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Good question Tracy!!!

Oh...I think your reversal is going to go great...young, healthy...bootilicious Sweet Pea!!!!

And its been a short time since the original surgery so hopefully your bum isnt 'forgetful'! That should be a help!!!
10-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
robbo87

My Support Groups:
Nice to be reading people think its not as bad for the the first time. Ive had 2 ops and my reversal is a while away yet but im already bricking it! dont want to go through anything like that last 2 times.
omeprozol 40mg
codeine x4
laparimide
ferrous sulphate
folic acid

ileostomy, colostomic mucus fistula stoma. gastostromy after recent surgery

tried, prednisolone, pentasa, azathioprine and infliximab
10-13-2011, 04:35 AM   #8
donna1980

Well i had my reversal about 13 years ago, i was in hospital for about 5-7 days i think. Crohns mum my scar is in the same place as the stoma was and is not very big - well i say not very big it may seem big to some people however its no where near as big as the orginal scar.
Robbo87 - its not as bad, of course everyone is different, but i was in hardly any pain and couldn't believe how quickly and easily i could move around.
10-20-2011, 03:11 AM   #9
SweetPea

Eeeeek! 7 days!
10-20-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Understandable you're scared! But, surely it will be easier as you are healthy, it's not an emergency.

Keep us updated!!! Please!!
10-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #11
Kris

I'm interested in how it goes for you. I'll be facing the same surgery eventually. Good luck and happy recovery

Crohn's Diagnosis: 1996 at age 19.

Current Diagnosis: Unknown. Might be Colitis as of March 2011.

Past Medications: Prednisone, Asacol, Pentasa, Canasa, Entocort, 6mp, Humira, Cimzia, Flagyl, and Cipro.

Current Medication: 6mp

Surgeries: Total removal of colon (rectum was saved) with temporary ileostomy in Feb. 2011.

I'm sorry, but I can't be a ray of freakin sunshine every day of the week!
10-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #12
barmybev

My Support Groups:
Its Fantastic! I had my reversal done in 2010,by the evening I was eating clear soup the morning after the surgery I was up walking around with full make-up on & felt great. good luck with you reversal you will be fine Bevx
Diagnosed with Crohns 34 yrs.'' ago aged 13 surgery in 93 right Hemicolectomy. had full remission till 2008 had another surgery in 2009 & had a temp stoma. 2010 had stoma reversed back. Then had 4enterocutaneous fistula's. tried Remi & Humira to no avail ended up having surgery again in Jan 13, 4, small bowel resections, gallbladder taken out, Fistulas all removed & given a permenant Ileostomy

I may not be where I need to be but,
I thank God Im not where I use to be
10-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Its Fantastic! I had my reversal done in 2010,by the evening I was eating clear soup the morning after the surgery I was up walking around with full make-up on & felt great. good luck with you reversal you will be fine Bevx
Bev....was yours lapro or open??

Howdy neighbour!
Misty
10-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
barmybev

My Support Groups:
Hi Misty Mine was open surgery, It was so more straightforward than the first op the only thing I came back from surgery was a drain, catheter & fluids no nasty NG tubes!!
How's the weather in Dunstable? we have had a fine week so far, although cold.
Bev x
10-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
I am so glad to hear your surgery was uneventful! I'm scared. It will be sometime next year.

Weather is great here...bring on the rain! I work in the MK area, and it's always warmer there than just a few miles down the road to Dunstable.

Misty
10-31-2011, 08:07 AM   #16
SweetPea

Surgery went fine. Pain is still blah ;(8
10-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Are they letting you eat yet Sweet Pea?? Hope the pain gets better!
10-31-2011, 12:03 PM   #18
Kris

That's great Keep us posted on your progress.
10-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #19
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear it went well

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

11-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
CrohnsGA

Surgery went fine. Pain is still blah ;(8

Glad everything went fine. I will be facing reversal surgery soon.

CrohnsGA (Gwen)

Diagnosed: 1989 w/Crohn's Disease @ age of 27
Married with 2 children
Current Meds: Remicade, 6MP, Flagyl, Vit B12 injections,
Phenergan (prn)

Numerous fissurectomies, fistulae, abcesses drained ......
anal stricture.
Loop Ileostomy placed: Aug 19, 2011
11-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #21
ameslouise

Hang in there, Sweetpea! The pain will subside - give it time!

Glad all went well! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

- Amy
11-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #22
SweetPea

Hello all! I got home two days ago from a pretty rough time in the hospital. For me, the pain was pretty unbearable the first night. My heart rate was apparently too high due to some doses steroids given during surgery. one hospitalist wanted to actually turn down almost all my pain medication to "lower my heart rate." Needless to say, I was practically screaming in pain. My mom and my nurses were not happy and stood up for me. They all took really good care of me

I'm at home now, currently on Norco for pain and ativan as needed for anxiety.

Just taking it easy now :/
11-03-2011, 03:24 AM   #23
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
High heart rates can be because of pain! Poor you SweetPea! Glad you are home and really glad you had someone stand up for you!

Take it easy and rest up.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Ileostomy reversal surgery...what's it like?