• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just diagnosed and I got questions

C

carley

Hi
I was diagnosed with crohn's two weeks ago after two years of extreme pain and all the doctors telling me it was psychological. Anyway so i was put on the strict diet of no wholewheat or fruit or vegetable, I also am taking a 5-aminosalicylic acid pill and was on two kinds of antibitics. Now I was feeling great last week, almost perfect, but this week i've been feeling kinda bad. The only thing in my diet that changed from last week to this week was that i ate carrots in my chicken soup, could this have caused the pain? I thought they would be ok because they were soft, can someone help me out.
Also can someone let me know if what i'm eating is good or suggest me with other options, this is basically a list of what i eat every day:
cornflakes with yoghurt and honey
crackers and cottage cheese
white of a boiled egg
chicken soup or piece of chicken.

Thats pretty much all i've eaten for two weeks, can someone tell me if they think this is a good crohn's diet, should i be eating something else? Any suggestions?

Any advise would be helpful
Thank you
Carley

H

hanaa al baydany

hi
ur doctor told u don't take the whole wheat,but what about cornflakes?
I think u should go back to yr doctor and ask him,may be u need to increase a dose or somethingt. i think u need to increase yr protien.
i hope u feel better.hoping telling us that u became much better.

Kev

Hi Carley.. Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of sources of info on diets for IBD online. since I've been a member, I've seen any number of posts on here detailing what everyone could or couldn't eat, and there doesn't seem to be any patterns for everyone. each of us is different, and we tolerate or don't tolerate specific foods just a little differently. For example, I can eat veggies if they are cooked to a mush, and if they aren't green. I also remove any skins, peels, seeds, etc.. I was fortunate enuff to have a nutrition counselor who specialized in IBD, the rest was pure trial N error. I subsist on canned tuna (in water), eggs, boiled skinless, boneless chicken, extra lean ham, and lots of vegetarian supplements. I could go on and on, but my diet is pretty specific to me, and may not work for you.

hi carley - i think a good general rule to eat by when your intestines are so sore is..
dont swallow anything which takes much digestion. i've turned to this low residue diet quite a few times, and its pretty 2nd nature to me now, but generally it consists of gentle foods such as mashed potato, scrambled eggs, lumpless soups, yoghurts, cream cheese, & i also used to have farley's rusks mushed up with a little warm milk. steer away from things which are difficult to digest, or which dont break down in our system at all such as sweetcorn, potato skins, tomato skins, nuts, pineapple... also try & eliminate fish, chicken & meat at the beginning, then introduce them slowly into your diet and see how it goes. fish & chicken are usually ok if they're minced or cooked soft, meat often causes me to have belly ache - even now after surgery. also acidic drinks such as pure orange juice can hurt too.

if you take the basic low residue diet as a start off point to settle things, then try introduce other things gradually, you'll soon find out what you can & cant tolerate, but at the same time you'll be getting nutrition and sustinence. a multi-vit tablet daily is also a good idea when your diets restricted.

i think the diet you're having now sounds ok.. maybe apart from the cornflakes. also, dont go hungry.. gas can build up if you get too empty and that causes pain too.

good luck! :)

dingbat.