• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I need a lot of advice

Ok guys, Im in quite the peculiar situation and I thought I should share it with you guys, since Im having trouble doing so with my GI and and parents.

I was diagnosed with Crohns in April of 2011. They started me off on Prednisone and Pentasa. As soon as I got off the Prednisone, I had a reaction. So my GI put me on 150 mg of Imuran.

The Imuran seemed to be working just fine and I started not caring anymore. Eating fast food, even using recreational drugs and all. Didnt try alcohol, because I know what that would do.

Once again everything was okay until last week. Went out with a few friends. Was offered a few cigarettes. Smoked 3. I know it triggered a reaction because I used to just smoke one and I would hear my intestines grumble.

So I had a minor bowel obstruction. And now my GI wants to start me on Humera/Remicade, Imuran AND Prednisone

Im not too keen on all the drugs if Im being perfectly honest. I think I can cope on Imuran if I take care of myself.

Can I just reject what he wants and stay on Imuran? Should I tell him I smoked. Its kind of an awkward situation because he is a family friend so he wouldnt expect it.

Your thoughts?

Spooky1

hi, skikdi,

i think there is a thread or forum on here which does discuss medicinal dope whatever (i not tried it, lol) but you might find it useful.

hope the crohns gets better soon, (should do with that lot).

Yeah the dope doesnt seem to be the problem. And that was only on occasion a few months ago.

It was more the cigarettes that did the damage I feel

I guess my real issue is this:

What would the effects of going on Remicade/Humira be for someone as young as I am (20 years old). Im guessing that the effects wouldnt be too great.

So Im thinking of rejecting the treatment and giving Imuran another go. If I find that I end up back in the hospital, even after taking care of myself, then Ill try the other medicines a try.

But then again it might not be healthy for my intestines to keep going through bowel obstructions and the last thing I need is resection

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi!

I know it is hard, but you need to be open and honest with your GI. Tell him about it all (I mean everything - don't worry - he can't tell on you!) , and how you think your relaxed behavior could have caused your recent issue.

Now, to be honest, I am not sure 3 cigs are going to cause an obstruction. But coupled with a bad diet, late nights, etc, that could do it. Again, lay it all out there with your GI and see if he agrees to give Imuran another go before jumping to a biologic.

Take care of yourself, mister!

I think I might tell him. Thanks for the advice!

Ah about the 3 cigs. It was combined with a big bag of Doritoes (mixed flavours Sweet Chili Heat/Intense Pickle) A Big Mac combo, and a Green Monster Energy drink.

Which is why Im pretty sure that cause my flare-up. And yes I was hungry and was out with friends and wasnt thinking of the consequences

Terriernut

Dude!!! :worthy:

Yeah, you SHOULD tell exactly what you did to cause the obstruction. Otherwise he thinks you are a flaring because meds are not working. Now we've all been naughty and faced the consequences. But I just tell my GI the truth (he thinks I'm AWFUL) and then we are working from the same page!

No, you shouldnt need the 'big guns' yet...but you, (and me) need to behave ourselves.

(it sucks doesnt it?)

Go easy on the food/drink smoking and be honest with the GI team and yourself and i'm sure you can come to some kind of compromise on the meds - does seem an awful lot.
It is hard. I too had a slight blowout on fried/spicy food last weekend and it played havoc with me all weekend. Hope you feel better soon.

David

Co-Founder
Hey brother and welcome :) A little tough love incoming but it's meant in a very positive and supportive manner, cool?

1. You just plain can't eat that way anymore :( It's going to destroy your insides.

2. IF you can't communicate with your GI because he is your family friend (I hope you're able to) you need to get a new GI. Being honest with your GI is incredibly important.

I wish you all the best! Good luck to you!

*hugs*

Thank you David, and thank you everyone. I did heed your advice and told my GI everything

I am now set to be discharged from the hospital. He still thought REMICADE was worth a shot, but I flat out rejected it. Instead we agreed of a short stint of Prednisone and a continued dosage of Imuran.

I am very pleased with that

Was never one for support forums (or emotional support in general), but you guys have been helpful even if you were pointing out the obvious. It feels like you need someone to tell you what to do.

Anyways, Im grateful again.

Cheers

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am glad we could be helpful.

Please keep us posted. I am hoping to hear a good report in the next few weeks!

Spooky1

skikdi,

well done on being bold enough to communicate issues to your GI. i also think that you should be in control of what meds. if the pred and imuran don't work, well naturally you'll be back to him to discuss the next move. but i think its worth a shot of your own control, it is your own body. you have to live with it. so good luck with recovery and take it easy for a while.

best wishes
Diane

Belated welcome Skikdi.
Think you got some great advice here...
Glad things are going well now..

u can refuse to take it if u dont want to and u can also tell your drs what you want to take, just depends what you know as a person and what type of person they are, i told my dr i didnt want to take pred and he said fine dont stay in pain for now lol so its really down to you if you dont want to take it and just try what u want the option is always to go back to his way =) hope u feel better soon xx