• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed 10 years ago

C

Cordyceps

diagnosed 10 years ago

I was blessed with Crohs diagnosis about 10 years ago along with a spinal disorder which sucks.

Anyway, I have been a steady MJ user since I was about 18. Never took it for granted that I could eat what I wanted and have crohns, and I only got started because friends were doing it.

Have been an avid smoker for years. Recently I decided to go for a change and quit smoking just to do it. Also, I have been in IT for the same length of time, and it's time to get a government clearance - I live in a military area.

Now the story starts - Holy heck does pot help with Crohns - specifically for me - the discomfort caused by digesting 4 pieces of pizza, lets say. I have always dealt with joint pain - which isnt as alleviated by smoking.

Now that I have quit for more than 48 hours I can feel the symptoms of Crohns getting worse. Day one after smoking I ate some fast food, threw it up - felt excellent after throwing up. The same thing has been happening in the last week since putting away the rolling papers. Tried to eat two buffalo wings the next day, felt shakey and uncomfortable and sick - upon regurgitation I felt 100% better.

I have avoided all crohns forums and controlling me diet because - denial and avoidance is comforting if it can be done. Since stopping smoking and reducing food intake a GREAT deal. The arthritis symptoms have been reduced a fair amount, but now I don't know what I can eat, lest I be over the trash can or toilet 20 minutes later.

I'm thinking of going on a pea soup, smoothie, etc diet (liquid diet?) with some carbs mixed in; after reading these forums for the last 3 hours. God bless the states that allow med marijuana.

Anyone ever use small amounts of metamucil to help with regularity?

H

hanaa al baydany

hi, metamucil is great for constipations.I used before cronh's.I t's 100% nature.And helps keeling the colon.This is my knowldge about it.
take care.

Welcome to the forum. I don't know if there have been any studies as to whether marijuana helps with Crohn's or not. I think the munchies alone would get me into trouble, but it might be good for the pain and depression. I haven't smoked the stuff for about fifteen years and I have to be drug tested for about every job I have now so it wouldn't even be an option for me. Even if it were medically prescribed, I would not be allowed to use it and have my job. I think there is a very long discussion on the subject somewhere in this forum if you do a search.

When you said you were quitting I couldn't tell if you were talking about cigarettes or pot. I do currently smoke cigarettes and have read varying reports as to whether it makes Crohn's worse or not. There seem to be some who say it absolutely makes it worse and some that say it's inconclusive. There also some who say that if you're an ex-smoker you have the same risks of flaring, recurrence, etc. as those who are still smokers so quitting wouldn't necessarily benefit any. But, of course, there are million other reasons to quit smoking as we all should.

As for diet, lots of information here. You mentioned pea soup. In general, the shells on peas and corn can cause problems for a lot of people with Crohn's so you might think of that. Otherwise, the smoothies and liquid diet or a good idea, at least for a short period of time, to give your system a rest. Then you might look into the soft low-residue diet.

C

Cordyceps

thanks

Thanks for the words Sojourn. I read plenty of your other responses in the different forums and you've been a pretty big contributor to this forum. I appreciate the words.

For the record. In the states that allow med marijuana, most of them have Crohns on the list. I think mainly because it's the least toxic way to having a strong appetite and some avoidance of potent discomfort. I dont understand this administration and many in the past when it comes to that topic. Pot smoking CAN cause depression if you become dependant or use for long periods- I know that personally.

Anyhow, happy holidays and thanks for the response.

Pentasa causing headaches.:ymad: had to cut back to about 1g total per day.

C

Cordyceps

hanaa al baydany said:
hi, metamucil is great for constipations.I used before cronh's.I t's 100% nature.And helps keeling the colon.This is my knowldge about it.
take care.
hanaa I have read some of your posts in these forums. Where are you from?

H

hanaa al baydany

Egypt

:)
Cordyceps said:
hanaa I have read some of your posts in these forums. Where are you from?
Hi Cordyceps,I am from Cairo Egypt. What about you.?

Kev

Hi Cordyceps.. Welcome to the forum. As for the pentasa causing headaches, I'm on another brand, salofalk.. and when I started (4 gr per day) I'd get these awful migraines at the end of the day. However, instead of cutting back, I went to their website. Docs N pharmacists told me to take with food.. but website advised to eat 1st, wait 1 hour, then take meds. For whatever reason, that worked better. Migraines went away, and I could manage full 4 gr per day.

As for marijuana, think it's on the list for crohns if one is taking hi dose immuno suppression therapy. Supposed to help with nausea, depression, etc (I think). Anyway, getting it legally isn't fun, getting it otherwise is risky for the obvious reasons plus the not so... stronger levels of canabis and other not so fun stuff. As for smoking cigarettes, consensus is that smoking interferes with the meds most often prescribed for Crohn's disease... but that it was the old time remedy for colitis... particularly ulcerative colitis... where there was lots of bloodloss, etc and SOME doctors will admit to it these days, even turn a blind eye. It isn't the best treatment, cause this treatment can and does kill the patient eventually. If you are a smoker, you need to discuss quitting with a GI before you try it, as it can cause bloodloss from any colon ulcerations (regardless of UC, CC, etc,) to suddenly and dramatically increase. Nicotine replacement therapy is the safest method to wean the body off. cold turkey or other drug therapies can actually make your symptoms worse down the road, with little or no advance warning.

OK, time to step down off the soapbox. Welcome to the forum, take care, OK?

I

Ilysha

If the MJ helps, why not? I've used it myself during bad flares and had some success as well. I haven't gotten a perscription yet, although I do live in blessed CA., but I've sure thought about it and may one day. It's certainly is better than cigarettes.

Good luck and hang in there!
-Ilysha

C

Cordyceps

wow

Cigarettes on old time remedy for colitis? Amazing. In my experience pot is great for appetite strengthening and especially keeping ones spirits up. indespensible for that, along with good friends. Cigarettes are just poison. I haven't bought a pack in months and months and rarely smoke tobacco now.

Ilysha: The reason I have to stop smoking is for career reasons and because I became a "pothead" over the years which has negative effects. I cant get a security clearance without cutting my hair or stopping the pot smoking. I have smoked pot for ten years and definitely don't regret it. It's time to take a break though, at least for a few months. It DOES make you forgetful and lethargic.

Hanaa, very interesting you are from Egypt? I'm from the bible thumping & capitalism capitol of the world, America.

Last edited:
C

Cordyceps

Kev said:
Hi Cordyceps.. Welcome to the forum. As for the pentasa causing headaches, I'm on another brand, salofalk.. and when I started (4 gr per day) I'd get these awful migraines at the end of the day. However, instead of cutting back, I went to their website. Docs N pharmacists told me to take with food.. but website advised to eat 1st, wait 1 hour, then take meds. For whatever reason, that worked better. Migraines went away, and I could manage full 4 gr per day.

As for marijuana, think it's on the list for crohns if one is taking hi dose immuno suppression therapy. Supposed to help with nausea, depression, etc (I think). Anyway, getting it legally isn't fun, getting it otherwise is risky for the obvious reasons plus the not so... stronger levels of canabis and other not so fun stuff. As for smoking cigarettes, consensus is that smoking interferes with the meds most often prescribed for Crohn's disease... but that it was the old time remedy for colitis... particularly ulcerative colitis... where there was lots of bloodloss, etc and SOME doctors will admit to it these days, even turn a blind eye. It isn't the best treatment, cause this treatment can and does kill the patient eventually. If you are a smoker, you need to discuss quitting with a GI before you try it, as it can cause bloodloss from any colon ulcerations (regardless of UC, CC, etc,) to suddenly and dramatically increase. Nicotine replacement therapy is the safest method to wean the body off. cold turkey or other drug therapies can actually make your symptoms worse down the road, with little or no advance warning.

OK, time to step down off the soapbox. Welcome to the forum, take care, OK?
Kev, very nice board you have here. I'm sure you are a smoker, you live in Halifax.

Kev

Unqualified yes to the 1st question (altho its in the card for me to quit as soon as my condition allows it... that's the orders of my current GI). As for living in Halifax, if one can call this existence post diagnosis as 'living', then yes, I'm living in halifax

What part of the world do you call home?