Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. K W. Adkisson of Pensacola, Florida

Old 10-13-2011, 02:37 PM
NameDr. K . W. Adkisson
AddressPensacola, Florida, 32504
 United States
WebsiteUnknown
Phone(850)477-2597
BioUnknown
 View Directory Entry
06-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Anonymous
Anonymous Doctor Reviewer

I am an undiagnosed, uninsured patient who was being treated at the Sacred Heart Hospital ER in Pensacola, FL. They were able to get me on a program where I did not have to pay for services rendered at the hospital. So they referred to Dr. Adkisson for diagnostics. Upon hearing my symptoms, Crohn's was suspected. From the beginning I noticed his relatively abrasive, "my way or the highway" attitude. He did the standard tests(blood tests, colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, SBFT, and even capsule endoscopy, for which I had to pay cash). He told me the blood tests came back normal, except for elevated CRP levels. He said they were not high enough for Crohn's. My colonoscopy was normal and ruled out UC. Upper scope, SBFT and Pill Came results were allegedly normal. He told me most of my symptoms are in my head, and that stress was the cause of my problems, going on to diagnose me with IBS. I've been told by doctors my whole life my problems were IBS related, but have had absolutely no relief from ANY medications prescribed to me. Dr. Adkisson had me taking 4 50mg Bentyl and 12 Lomotil per day. There was absolutely no improvement. Upon returning to his office he basically told me I have IBS and that my symptoms shouldn't be as bad as they are(DUH!). Then further informing me there was nothing more he could do. This whole time he treated me like a child(I was in my late 20's at the time), and talked down to me. Never once did I feel as if he actually cared I've been absolutely miserable for almost my entire life. After he basically gave up on me, leaving me to suffer, I requested my records from the hospital. Upon examination of the records, they went on to show that I have anemia and a high Sed rate. He never told me either of those. The diagnostics also showed some amounts of inflammation and scarring in my small bowel, but were described as "not significant". He never told me any of this. Never discussed with me what any of this means. What is "not significant" scarring and inflammation? Any amount of inflammation and scarring is significant to me, and I want to know about it! The whole time I was under his care I felt like a second class citizen because I was uninsured and he was being paid by a charity(which is limited in resources). I can say with 100% certainty that he did not care one iota about how I felt, my overall health or quality of life. I really do not think he ever had any plans to help me in any way.

If you have IBD, or any other sort of gastrointestinal issue, avoid Dr. Adkisson at all costs. He made me feel even worse than I did before being under his care. This doctor, someone who has taken an oath to help people, only made me feel guilty for having an intractable illness.

**Note: If I could give him zero stars on "bedside manner" and "knowledgeable", I would. He's THAT bad.

Rating:
1 / 5 Bedside Manner
1 / 5 Knowledgeable
1 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
1 / 5 Ease of accessibility

Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. K W. Adkisson of Pensacola, Florida