Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Thomas Gushurst of Kalamazoo, Michigan

Old 10-13-2011, 02:37 PM
NameDr. Thomas P Gushurst
AddressKalamazoo, Michigan, 49007
 United States
WebsiteUnknown
Phone(269)349-2266
BioUnknown
 View Directory Entry
04-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Stew

I've been a patient of Doctor Gushurst's since 2005, when I was 16, just after my Crohn's diagnosis. He has always been very easy to talk to and get a hold of when I need him. He is very knowledgeable and conveys information in using jargon and explains it well.

He allows me to be an active participant when discussing what treatments and medications I will be on, because I have been dealing with my Crohn's for 12 years and I am well aware of what does and does not work for me.

He is also very conscious of financial situations. Because I did not have insurance for 3 years he found alternative medications that cost less and did not force a colonoscopy or CT Scan on me unless it was absolutely necessary.

The medications he has put me on include Asacol, Mercaptopurine, Prednisone, Flagyl, Sulfasalazine, and Remicade.

Remicade was one of the first medications he tried putting me on and I have never had any complications with it. He wants me to stay on Remicade as long as I can if it is not causing any complications so I have never gone to Humira or any alternative medications like that.

He has had me go on Prednisone multiple times, but he does not like me to be on it longer than necessary and does what he can to keep me off it as long as possible.

Rating:
5 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable
5 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
5 / 5 Ease of accessibility

Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Thomas Gushurst of Kalamazoo, Michigan