• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can You Drink while taking 6MP

Kev

did your 6MP come with any literature, pamphlets, that sort of thing? don't think your doc would make this up. have you Googled it? checked for website by the drug company? What about asking the pharmacist who sold it to you?

M

mle

I was told it would put major stress on your liver......but who knows? I've had a few drinks here and there before I was told not to drink and never had a problem.

It makes your liver work harder when you drink and take 6mp. I am on 6mp and would never drink just in case but I would end up giving myself pain in my liver because I am so psychosymatic.

H

HumboldtReign

i truly hope your doctor didnt use the words "blow up".

ive never heard of such a thing, and ive been on 6mp for about 5 years now. i drink a few times a week, and have never noticed any problems.....

Kev

Well, I did a brief search on the net about 6MP. Results? A really big old bag of mixed messages. One site said that it's best to take it at nite, and not to take it with milk. Same site said people should be tested first to see if they can safely metabolize the drug, but that most doc's didn't bother to do this???
Another site said to take it with plenty of fluids, esp milk (???) to minimize the risk of upsetting the stomach (so flip a coin to see which one you opt to listen to).. This same site said that there were no known issues with taking it with 'beverages' (but they didn't specifically state alcoholic ones).
Course, taking this advice means that your coin toss indicated these were the folks to listen to. In any event, both advised/warned about taking this with other meds.. in particular metho and any of the known blood thinners!

As for the alcohol issue, something to keep in mind is that alcohol isn't the best choice for anyone with IBD. Any fermented beverage is likely to play hell with the GI tract, give all of those nasty critters a real feast to gorge on... and it weakens/destroys the protective mucous lining of the GI tract.
Having said that, unless one follows the path of total abstinence, my 'gut' instinct is that the occasional drink with it won't kill you, unless you show signs of liver failure or impairment. you wanna risk it, you go right ahead. its your life. But I'm not your doctor, and if your doctor advises you not to, you got the choice to listen to he/she OR not. But if not, why are you going to him/her? And are you paying for this advice that you are opting not to take? Think that pretty well sums up your options. it's your choice

Hum didn't say blow up, expode would of been the word. I haven't drank since I was 24 and I'm 47 now so it's not like I crave it. But just curious

Kev

Yeah, it's a funny thing. I grew up in a household where my dad drank rarely. I recall him stocking up in the winter for the (back in the old days) inevitable visitors/parties/etc.. where drinking/offering drinks were the absolute norm... and him having leftover alcohol... maybe the odd beer he'd drink in summer. It wasn't a big thing in my parents life, and it wasn't/isn't in mine. I worked too many bars/clubs/taverns, seen way too many people overimbibe, seen the problems with it so often, usually my job to deal with those... doorman/bouncer sort of deal when I was younger. It all lead (led ??? used to know the difference) to my having a take it/leave it attitude. I did get into wine making, loved to have a glass or two with a good meal... occasional glass of amber ale on a night out - that sort of thing.. But when I became ill, and all the 'authorities' told me in no uncertain terms that alcohol in any form was a bad idea, I missed it MORE??
guess the story about forbidden fruit tasting sweeter has some truth to it. I still miss my occasional glass of Merlot, or my favourite clancys amber ale, but not terribly. Not nearly so much as a big caesar salad or slice of pizza.

Odd thing is, when I raised similar questions about alcohol consumption on this site way back (not really all that long ago) when I joined, I ended up with a feeling (or a sense/perception) that I came across like an alcoholic in desparate need of someone to vindicate/validate my having a drink. Odd thing is, i've only had one drink in the past 3 years, that was on my b-day