• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi..

B

Babe123

hi..

my names laura and im 17

i was diagnosed with crohns about a week ago after being admitted to hospital im also anemic

i still dont really understand crohns. i have a friend who has it tho and she is coping really wel apart from bouts of pain every now and then.

ive started to loose weight and i get tired so easily even just walking up stairs tires me out which is really stressful because i used to be a really energetic person

x

Last edited:
R

rhapsody86

Hi Laura, and welcome to the forums. :)

I don't understand Crohn's either. to me, it seems to be one big roller coaster ride, except you're wearing a blindfold while riding cause you can't see where you're going next.

In my experience with it (which is only second hand) I have found that keeping yourself happy and willing to take it easy when you need to is best. Never force yourself to do more than you can handle and be good about eating right. Also, sleep is very important. Don't let yourself slide.

I'm still a newbie here so I hope someone can offer you better advice, but nonetheless, I wish you all the best. :)

hi & welcome laura :)

crohns is a very difficult thing to understand, in some ways its an impossible task particularly when it comes to causes.. but in time you'll get to know which, if any, factors make yours worse or better.

have a good read-through of the threads on this forum, there are some excellent points of reference for a newly diagnosed crohns patient... and if there's something in particular you need to ask, go ahead. i've not been a member here for very long, but everyone is great and very helpful.

dingbat.

Hi welcome Laura. I know what you mean. I used to be a really energetic person as well and when I feel well I still am pretty energetic but when I am not feeling well I am one of the laziest people in the world. Once you start to feel better try some light exercise and hopefully that will bring your energy levels up a bit.

Best of luck

B

Babe123

thanks for your comments everyone, everything you tell me will help me learn about it abit more :)

stil struggling to understand i have got it, its abit difficult to get used to lol

yeah it took a while for me to understand i had it but this forum has me understand the disease more and the advice ive gained is so helpful. im still learning about the disease mainly because of this forum! if ever your feeling down or depressed about the disease theres always someone on here who will lend a hand.

the disease itself is quite an unstable one. somedays you'll be feeling fine and others you'll feel terrible. whenever im having a good day i make sure im doing something active and fun to try and compensate for the bad days.

theres some great people on this forum with bundles of crohns knowledge willing to help in anyway. any problems this is the place to discuss them

good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of crohns :)

Hello Laura~

I just wanted to jump in and say welcome to the forum.

I'm sure if you read through the posts here you will get a better insight
into just what you are dealing with.
But remember everyone is different and this disease acts differently on everyone.

Just relax, ask questions, or vent if you like.

We're all in the same boat and here to support one another.

Once again,
Welcome ...Nancy

Kev

HI Laura... Welcome to the forum. I'd like to reiterate what Nancy Lee has said. If you read some of the posts on here, it can be both enlightening and frightening. But the important thing to remember is that this disease treats everyone just a lil differently. You may fare better or worse than others on here, just remember you aren't alone. Everyone on here either has it, or knows someone who does. There is comfort to be had it that. Take care, OK?

B

Babe123

ok.. thank you

its getting me down abit now, i dont think my boyfriend understands how im feeling and my mates dont either, they keep asking me to go out but i dont feel like it so they think im just lazy i think lol

x

Kev

Hey Laura... Boy, do I know what you mean. Its' fairly common to feel like others are judging you... friends, family, those closest to you. Think we all share feelings of guilt... like we did something to deserve this, or we should be able to just feel like our old selves whenever we want, or whenever our friends/family want us to.

Problem is, it just doesn't work that way. It's sooooo easy to just say that we shouldn't let these feelings take over. That we shouldn't let others judge us, or feel we are being judged. No one who doesn't have this disease can know what we are going thru. Friends and family who want some idea of what it is like should pop in here and read the posts of other members. Maybe then they will get some vague idea of what our life has become, thru no fault of our own.

I'm a stubborn old fellow, and that's mostly been a failing. however, since i've become ill, that negative trait has actually helped me some. There are times I have been sooo ill, I really didn't feel like doing anything, with anyone.. Didn't make a difference how much they meant to me, or whether I actually wanted to go out, do things.. Then I got mad at this disease, and I got mad at myself. I'd force myself out, even when I wasn't feeling the best... and I forced myself to have as good a time as possible. sometimes I'd only enjoy myself for 20 or 30 minutes... other times i'd end up having a couple of hours of fun, a really great reprieve from the otherwise horrible time i'd have, sitting at home, feeling sorry for myself, or trapped by my disease. Getting out allowed me to thumb my nose at it.. to show it that I might have IBD, (but as another member put it so well) IBD didn't have me. True, there were times I had to cut it short, make excuses to take an early departure... or to pop into the bathroom on the sly, so that no one knew why... or to slip outside for 'fresh air', when in reality it was because I knew I had gas (sorry for the gross ness of that - but it's a reality). I also had the habit of not letting my health become a fixed topic of conversation. even if my friends or family were concerned, I'd brush it off in short order. I would talk about it in private, but not in public to any lenght. The result? I learned to have fun again.. despite my disease. That fun is soooo necessary, so fundamental to fighting off this illness, something bankable to bring out on the really bad days.
This is so hard to implement at first (which is why my stubborness helped me), but if you get into the habit, force yourself to make as much of the good times as you can, it lessens the impact this disease can have on you, and breaks the habits of just curling up with this illness, trapped in the house, a prisoner that overlooks the possiblity of escape, even if those escapes aren't permanent.

OK, that's the end of my long winded harangue. you didn't ask my advice, but that never stopped me. Just wanted to throw out this lifeline in hopes that its of help. Listen to an old man who recognized the truth that all kids know... the true value of having fun, and of taking the opportunity to have it whenever, OK

yeah i no what you mean :( i still feel abit nervous when going to places ive never been before. im always thinkin wheres the nearest toilet?? is there anywhere around here that does food that wont cause me any trouble?? but i decided a while ago i wasnt going to let crohns stop me living.

i definately agree with kev 110% on this we need to carry on living our lives. i missed out on so much for about 3 months when first diagnosed. i find my condition seems better when im out and about doing things rather than when im sitting around at home feeling sorry for myself. even if its just going to the cinema or having a meal with friends you cant let the disease stop you. obviously if youre puking up or having long spells on the loo then maybe you should stay in but whenever your feeling ok make that time good time :)

all the best

B

Babe123

i think i will start going out again, i havnt been out in a while because of me being in hospital my mum doesnt want to risk me getting really ill again, which i understand. i went the theatre last night. i was totally nakerd after it but it was sooo funny!

im still wary of pushing my limits and with food because i dont know how i will react, if you know what i mean.

x

S

Shane

Hi Laura, I'd just like to say a 'Belated' welcome and that I know what your going through in regards to the food situation. It's difficult, I'd have my family saying things like "you don't know unless you try it" etc...etc... That's easy for them to say when they aren't the ones who have to suffer if you get it wrong. But I found in the end that it is just trial and error and if you do get it wrong you've just gotta mark it down to experience. Another thing I found though was that if something upsets you now, it may not always be the case, although I found it difficult to re-try things that were bad previously. It will take a while to build your strength up but, you will get there I'm sure.

Good luck.

Shane

definately agree with shane. when first diagnosed with crohns, milk would send me straight to the loo with seriously painful cramps infact i basically lived on toast and water for about 2 weeks! as time progressed and i stayed away from any foods that would harm me i began to reintroduce them with no ill effects. its always a worry when doing this but my body sort of told me it was ready. i hadnt had milk in about 3 months, just the thought made me quite sick then one day i woke up and thought "i could go for some milk right about now!" had a glass and no problems! dont rush this process and dont introduce alot of foods all at once. its taken me about 5 months but theres not really any foods that really cramp me up anymore. best of luck with this :)

B

Babe123

thank you for your advice its really helping me

ill jsut have to be careful in what i eat from now on :(