• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello

I

IndyMatt

Hello Everyone,

I'm Matt; 32 years old from Indianapolis and a brand new Crohn's patient.

I was diagnosed 12/24/07. Spent the New Year in the hospital and have my first child coming in just under 5 weeks. As you might assume, got alot on my mind right now and having a pretty tough time getting a grip on the whole situation.

Currently on 30MG Pred and doc wants to start Humira as early as next week.

I have been trying to learn as much as I can about this disease and this is how I came across this forum. I am excited to be a new member and looking forward to picking your brains and maybe, in the future, even helping a few people along the way.

I am in the process of reading all of the introduction stories so I can get to know all of you a bit better.

Thanks for the opportunity and talk to you soon,

Matt

Kev

Hi Matt Welcome to the forum. Nice Christmas present, wasn't it? Ho, ho, horrible. New Years Eve in the hospital, too. How was that? I can't picture anyone singing 'auld lang syne' at midnite. As for picking our brains, you are more than welcome to try, but in my case.. weeelll, let's just say the pickens are mighty slim rite now. For example, you are expecting your 1st child in 5 wks (give or take).. but Matt is your name... so, are you the Mama, or the Papa???
;-) If you are the Mama, is that why your doc wants to start Humira so soon? Or is it because your current situation is soo critical rite now, you cant' wait?
Just curious, cause your GI seems to have jumped right to the 'Cadilac' of the medicine based options; where typically they start off with the 'Gremlins'. (that may be a car reference that is way before your time, but the folks my age will appreciate it). Anyway, once again, welcome to the site. Hope that it helps, OK?

S

Shane

Welcome Matt,

I'm sure you'll find loads of information and support here. The people on this site are fantastic.

Good luck

Shane

I

IndyMatt

Thanks for the welcomes.

Kev, I am going to be the Papa. And I am not certain why the doc wanted to start with Humira. I never thought of Humira as a Cadillac. I just thought it was what is working best in patients right now and he wanted me to have the best. Does anyone else find this plan of treatment "strange?"

However, if it works for me and keeps me in remission and allows me the opportunity to once again start taking care of my pregnant wife (as opposed to how it's been lately) then I am all for it.

I really need to get my head straight prior to the baby and that is one of the big reasons I am here. I'm hoping the more I learn and am able to understand about this fabulous disease, the better I will be at accepting it and dealing with the situation.

Thanks again

hiya matt & welcome :) & congrats on the lovely news of your first child on his/her way soon.

yep, i agree - the more information and understanding you have of crohns, the easier it is to face and know what to expect, how best to help yourself etc.

i hope the treatment helps you quickly, and you get yourself in a better state of health before baby comes bouncing into the world :D

dingbat.

I think it used to be that insurance companies would not approve Remicade unless all other medications had been exhausted, or if the patient's condition was severe or fistulizing. I don't know the difference in price between Humira and Remicade.

From most of what I read in these forums, though, other medications are usually tried before going to Humira or Remicade. I wouldn't knock it though. If I could have been put on either when I was first diagnosed, I would have done it if it would have prevented all the suffering that has followed.

Kev

Yeah, think sojourn has raised a good point. From what I gathered. humira costs significantly less than remicade, tho many think it is a better treatment option. It can range from 30 - 40% less than remicade (why? good question) Ballpark it at about $20 K per year. so that may be the deciding factor, insurance co dictated it Vs remicade (in which case, you benefit from their frugality).. But why your dr opts to skip other, cheaper meds (and why ins. co. agreed) escapes me (like, imuran/azathioprine.. or metho as alternatives, etc,)
wouldn't hurt to ask. In a lot of cases, humira wasn't approved so patients had to go to remicade... Like, humira wasn't approved for use here till Sept 2007!!
so, if someone needed to step up their meds here prior to that, remicade was the next step. Number of folks on here are posting a daily diary on humira. you might find a lot of useful info in reading those. doesn't exclude asking your doc