• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here, just wanted to say hi.

B

Bentley78

Hello im a 29 yo male and i was diagnosed with Crohns when i was 24. My GI pumped me with the meds for the first few months and ive been in remetion and only taking mercaptapurine up until this past September. Living a normal healthy life for the past few years i almost forgot i had Crohns, never did any researching or reading as it wasnt bothering me and i felt no need.

Vacationing in Canada this past September I wrecked my mtn bike in Whistler B.C. coming off a 10ft drop and my stomach landed on my seat with full impact.
Not sure if the crash had anything to do with me flaring up or if its just coincedence, but ive been in and out of the DR's office and ER since then.

Ive ran two courses of steroids and while they help a bit while on them, its just not the ticket. Im on mercaptapurine, messalimine (if thats how you spell it) and prilosec for the indegestion. I deal with pain several days a week, dont have the "Big D" thank goodness and every few months i'll have pain so bad i feel as if i got shot by a gun in my lower right side, small intestine. That puts me in the ER for the night as it comes with fever and vomiting as well.

Havent had a Colo since the bike wreck so i may suggest having another to my GI this week, im afraid they are over looking it and i may have really messed something up when i took the dig.

Well so thats me, please ask questions if you need to. :depressed:

Kev

Hey Bentley, welcome to the forum. don't fret over spelling... I used to be able to spell... but 20 odd tears of relying on spell check has totally ruined my vocabulary.

Tho there's nothing wrong with suggesting a colonoscopy, perhaps your GI might suggest x-ray or ultrasound as a 1st step, just to see if the accident did anything outside of the GI tract. Would spare you the scope prep process.

As for questions, only one comes to mind is re vacationing in Canada. does that mean you are from the US, or Europe, somewhere else besides God's country?

C

capecod

Hi Bentley,
I'm Jenn. I was diagnosed in 2002 and have been in denial ever since I am 30. My circumstance is a little different. I am afraid of all of the side effects of the meds. Have they given you a cat scan or a small bowel follow thru? I completely underastand the stabbing pains. There have been times I have been out with friends and I get that pain, it is dibilitating....If these terms are unfamiliar I will explain. I had been given many diffferent tests to determine, and in my case it wasn't until I had a cat scan. If you are interested in talking more just write. I am new to this whole thing have only been a member for a day.

hi & welcome bentley & capecod.

bentley i'd certainly suggest to your doc that you need looking at, whichever procedure they decide is appropriate. whether or not its to do with your accident, or just crohns rearing its head again, it wants checking out and diagnosing so you can get the right treatment. i'm kinda surprised that you've been admitted to a&e on more than one occasion with fever, pain & vomitting, yet they havent done any invasive investigations on you.

good luck! & keep us posted.

capecod - i know what you mean about side effects, sometimes those info sheets that come with medicines are more scary than the condition itself lol. i hope you post some more about yourself soon, & get as much from this forum as i have since i joined.

dingbat.

Kev

Yeah, those side effect warnings are really frightening, and I understand why they have to include them. Its a personal decision, and sometimes a really hard call to make.. BUT there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Your doc probably has more than a few patients in same situation, and is experienced with side effects... but their 'judgement' call is that this will do more good than potential harm to you. Second, remember, those side effects are possibilities; not guarranteed you will get any of them. They list them all, even the ones so low they almost never occur. Many people with diseases other than IBD often are prescribed these drugs in higher doses, stonger combinations, for longer terms. it is often this higher doses, stronger concentrations, you get the idea, where the real potential of side effects rears it's ugly head. The one definite thing you have to keep in the forefront of your mind is that you have a disease, and it needs treating. I was faced with a choice, a med with side effect risk and (unfortunately) not a great success rate (historically). Thanks to info from this site, I found an alternative with better success rate and lesser side effects.
My GI agreed to trial me on it. So, if those side effects warnings scare you, use that 'fear' to push you to investigate whether this is your only remaining option