Share Facebook

10-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Saphira

My Support Groups:
Gate Crasher

Hi all,

I need to crash this forum. My son is diagnosed with Crohns and has some associated arthritis. I have been having hand, wrist, foot and ankle pain progressively worsening with morning stiffness and swelling for about 7 months. It got to the point where I went to see what was wrong. My PCP diagnosed tendonitis and sent me to the Orthopedist. He took xrays today looked at them for about 15 seconds and said normal. He looked at my hands and feet in the middle of the day when they are at their best and recommended blood test. He said possible Rheumatoid arthritis but maybe not
He seems to want to rely on the blood tests which include RF ANA CRP and sed rate but not HLA-B27 or Anti CCP (easy to ind these as essential test on google).
I just don't have confidence in him. Now I feel you pain and frustration of no diagnosis. I wonder if arthritis can preceed crohn's symptoms, loads of family members also have crohn's. Venting over!!
Thanks

Trina

Son Brandon Diagnosed CD 2009, Diagnosed IBD 2011.
Currently on Remicaid, Asacol, Omeprazole

Has taken Entocort, Prednisone
Prometheus test negative
10-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
beth

My Support Groups:
Yes, essentially. I read an article that suggested a fair percentage of people with arthritis and especially poly-arthritis have an underlaying IBD which confirmed on colonoscopy.
10-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
StarGirrrrl

My Support Groups:
I will move this for a better response to the Arthritis sub-forum
2014 IDA & low B12.

June 2014 admitted to Hospital 3 nights as emergency transfused 2 units of blood. Dangerous case of anaemia.
Caught by pure chance!
Cause currently unknown but suspected CD.

Waiting on blood & stool results from January.

Hoping to stop anaemia treatment soon & lower B12 daily dose!
10-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Saphira

My Support Groups:
Very interesting. The ortho is sending me to a rheumy. I am neg for ANA and RF, ESR and CRP. Just like Brandon who has the crohn's diagnosis. So many hours of research later sero negative Rhuematoid arthritis is linked to an antigen called HLA-DR1 and guess what so is Crohns and UC. I wonder if I could talk a DOc into testing us both. Well actually no Rheumy's will see us both because they only see Pediatrics or adults not both!!
I'll keep you updated. Meanwhile my joints continue to play up and Brandon is pain free since starting the Remicaid.

Trina
11-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Saphira

My Support Groups:
Update - My Rheumy thinks I have UCTD (Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease) basically not enough symptoms to decide but is in the autoimmune family with Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, scleroderma and a few others). Not spondyloarthropathy which would include the Crohns arthritis like my Son.
I'm now on Methotrexate so I know what my 10 year old goes through every week when he takes his!