• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

10 Years after diagnosis

Hello and WOW! I wish I would've known about this forum sooner.

I was diagnosed in 2001. It took 5 or so years of being sick.

I started out on prednisone and pentasa and flagyl but none of that lasted very long cause I ended up in the psych ward with some drug induced psychosis. That was the summer of 2001.

After that it was Remicade and Imuran until 2006 when I got sick again. This time I spent a long time in the hospital with NG tube and not eating for 5 days or so.

Then in yearly 2007 I had small bowel resection. Remicade had stopped working. Surgery helped a lot. Then I was just on vitamin B-12 shots and azathioprine. And now I'm not on any Crohn's meds. But I do take a lot of vitamins and psyllium husk flakes. I found it helps better than Welcol and that powder stuff - colestramine, I think.

And right now I don't have any symptoms of Crohn's. I go to the bathroom a lot but sometimes its an actual poop and not just runny diarrhea. I think it's due to have a lot of small bowel removed cause I know what a flair feels like and I haven't had one in a long time.

Also I used to have distracting joint pain - especially in my knees. But it's cleared up after stopping the azathioprine. It took a few weeks though.

For the past few months I've been collecting my medical records and I've made a data visualization of experience. But the blog isn't quite ready for release yet. I'll post back and try and provide some direction for someone who wants to make a visualization of their health history. Everybody is so different though it'll be next to impossible to create a generic visualization templet.

:ybiggrin:

Anyhow, I really wish I would've found this forum sooner! It's really good.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there welcome to the forum :bigwave: glad you found us, many people here have suffered as you but in different degrees or from different meds. I have had 2 resections and being on B12 shots monthly improved my life somewhat. If I had of looked after myself better the first time I had a resection, I wouldnt of had the second that has never gotten me into remission. Everyone is different with the disease and medications, what works for you, may not for others, not a nice disease... I wished when I got dx'd 20 years ago I would of loved to have had this forum or a computer lol.

:welcome:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad to hear you really don't have any symptoms at this time. I agree that the occasional D could be caused by the resection. You made the smart move of taking psyllium husk; I hear that helps with the D.

Just curious, why did you stop taking aza? It sounds like it was really working for you. And staying on a maintenance med (espcially an effective one) is important to help prevent future flare ups.

Hi there glad to heaar ur well and not suffering from many symptoms. I was on aza for a while but had bad side effects what was ur reason for coming off?
I have been diagnosed just over a year and a half and only just found this forum its great like urself i wished i had found it sooner...!
Like u im on loadds of vitamins although i take pentassa aswell.
take caarae..x