• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Iron & vitamin C

I just read on Dr. Mercola's web-site that if you take vitamin C with meals it helps the body to absorb Iron. So does alcohol.

While his position is that normal men, should avoid Iron, being it oxidizes the body so readily. In the case of deficiency, it may help to take vitamin C with meals to help absorb Iron in the food.

For excess Iron, blood donation is the best method of shedding it. Usually Crohn's patients are on meds so this may not be an option.

Dan Bergman

thank you for that tip :) its interesting how one thing helps you absorb another.. i'm taking calcium with vitamin D for the same reason.

just by the way, i've always wanted to be a blood donor, as i dont have any problems with needles etc., but was told i cant be a donor in any form because i have/have had an inflammatory disease.