Share Facebook

View Poll Results: Did you drink more milk than your brother / sister who doesn't have Crohn's?
Yes, I drank more milk 13 48.15%
We drank equal amounts 8 29.63%
No, I drank less milk 6 22.22%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

10-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
kiny

Milk

This is something I'm wondering about so a poll might provide more info.

Condition:

You (someone with Crohn's disease) are a person with a brother / sister who does not have Crohn's disease and who grew up in the same family household.

Did you, drink more milk as a child than them?
10-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Del

Good question.
However I was never a big milk drinker throughout my life but dairy products did pass my lips in the form of chocolate..
Since been diagnosed I have stopped milk almost completely...now use soya milk...which I have gotten use to quickly..
10-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
kiny

Good question.
However I was never a big milk drinker throughout my life but dairy products did pass my lips in the form of chocolate..
Since been diagnosed I have stopped milk almost completely...now use soya milk...which I have gotten use to quickly..
Good idea imo, I had stopped drinking milk and didn't have any symptoms for months, I tried milk again and got D and a bit of stomach ache, I stopped immediately and felt better again. I must be lactose intolerant and I don't touch milk or dairy in any form anymore. I try to avoid yoghurt too.

There are many other food products to get calcium from, drinking milk isn't needed at all, good example would be Asia, drinking milk is very uncommon in some places there I read.
10-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Mapper

My brother has a milk allergy, so I drank way more milk than him. I still consume a lot of dairy. I'm also a vegetarian (going on 21 years now as a veggie). He's a big meat eater. We both have been diagnosed with CD as adults, but we are the only ones in the family. Go figure.
10-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

My older brother drank it by the gallon, my older sister hated milk and as for my younger sister. MY brother has UC, my older sister has crohn colitis and my younger sister has Gerd and IBS. Not sure if it was related so I am thinking our line is more of genetics.
But I drank a good amount every day, and loved ice cream.

Last edited by Crohn's 35; 10-15-2011 at 03:33 PM.
10-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
carrollco

My Support Groups:
I loved milk and ice cream. Especiallly ice cream, and butter, and oh yeah, yogurt. Now I'm lactose intolerant caused, my doc said, by Crohn's.

Previous Meds:

Methotrexate--had kidney/liver damage
Lialda--allergic to aspirin--but didn't know until my Crohn's got much worse.
Prednisone--only when I have to!
10-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I always drank way more milk than my brother. I don't have problems with dairy at all, never have. Not sure why I was the lucky one to get Crohn's....lol

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!