• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recently Diagnosed With Chrons

hey guys,

I'm 17 years old and have recently been diagnosed with Chron's disease. I've been having weird stomach pains for the last few years, but this year they started getting real bad, to the extent that i had to stop what im doing and wait for the pain to go. Also, it was quite clear that i wasn't digesting my foods properly, as i'm quite thin but eat a hell of a lot! And of course, a lot of the other symptoms were present..

So i decided to go to the doctors, after originally thinking it could be Caeliac's disease (after looking it up on the internet). I then had a blood test, and found out it was not Caeliacs, but my Inflammatory rate or something like that was extremely high. So the doctor suggested i had the dreaded colonoscopy..

And 2 weeks later, I had it. I don't remember much about the actual colonoscopy itself, but of course i remember the awful preparation drink which made me gag after every sip.. but it had to be drunk. :p So yeah, and then he told me after the colonoscopy it was Chron's disease most likely. They didn't get to inspect my small intestine as apprently i was in too much pain, although i can vaguely remember the actual precedure, and being in a bit of considerable pain.

And since then i've been on prednisone for a week, and I've been on vitamin/calcium tablets. So many tablets.. but if it helps im going to take them. I've also been prescribed Pentasa.. but not sure whether to take it with the steroids as there wasn't a clear prescription for them, but im seeing the doctor next week so I can check then.

So yeah!:) thats where I am now.. I was impressed at how quickly it actually got diagnosed, after reading so much about mis-diagnosed cases on the internet - overall it only took about a month.

So i thought id join these forums, and say hi to you guys. It would be good to know more about Chrons, and implications that may affect peeps.

~Blue

Astra

Hiya Blue
and welcome

Yes you've been very lucky with your dx! I think I waited about 15 years for mine!
And yes you can take your Pentasa with Pred. Pred will blitz the inflammation and get it under control, the Pentasa is anti inflammatory and will help to maintain.
Glad you found us! enjoy the forum
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

thanks for the info bout pentasa :) and its good to know that i can now get to know a lot more about Chrons from people that actually have it. Seems like an awesome community here.

~Blue

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: Blue! I see your spelling of Crohns isnt correct but...wait til you can spell it and you can't spell chronic lol. Been there done that :lol:. You are very lucky to have been diagnosed so quick but not lucky to have this dreaded disease. Best pointers is watch your diet, low residue is best and use digestive enzymes to break down the foods you eat. Avoid wheat and raw veggies, especially if they cant get past the the appendix area to the Ileum. Pentasa is usually 500mg 3-4 times a day but make sure you ask your doctor. Taking your Pred with food in the morning is the best.

Hope you feel better soon, glad you are joining us.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey not totally your fault I have been here over 3 years and just noticed about it is spelled wrong Chrons. Most newbies do...I can spot a newbie most times :ycool:

Last edited:

David

Co-Founder
Hi Blue and welcome :)

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but we're here for you anytime!

I'm pleased they put you on supplements. What are the specific vitamins they gave you out of curiosity?

Again, welcome! I hope you stick around and become a regular part of the community here.

the supplements I have at the moment are Calcium Carbonate and Vitamin D3, and im taking them twice a day for a while.. :p

oh, and since your an admin, thanks for these forums! they seem pretty awesome, and very active which is always good.:)

~Blue

Hiya Blue hope your doing ok like you I too was diagnosed after a month and started with pred and pentasa. Hope they do the trick for you and you'll learn loads here and you can ask anything and I mean anything (lol).

One thing I am concerned about is how everyone here seems to have had some surgery :eek: making me feel anxious lol, is it obvious when you feel the pain for something major like all these surgeries people say they've had >.<? I guess im kind of paranoid..

~Blue

I ended up with an abcsess and perforation and had surgery but TBH have felt good since and I am currently on no meds. I am not sure what the percentage of people with crohns end up with surgery but it's not the worst outcome so don't be too anxious as many people get great relief from surgery. Crohns is so diverse no 2 people are the same!!

Astra

yeah I agree, everyone is different, we're all unique!
I've never had Crohn's surgery but nearly came close last year. But I was saved with Prednisolone and Metronidazole.
Don't fret about surgery, not everyone will need it, and some will, but projecting about it will give you anxieties, something we can all do without!
Concentrate on getting healed with your meds and good luck
xxx

Again it depends I don't think it is obvious for many people as they are in heaps of pain before they get the right treatment plan and hopefully in remission with meds and therefore don't require surgery. Having said that there are several people who have required emergency surgery when I'm sure it was pretty obvious due to being so unwell / pain etc. There are also so many different surgeries that can be done some from minor surgeries through to major surgery. Unfortunately in my case the meds didn't work and I was strongly advised that it was the only outcome due to risk of re perforation.

Hello Blue and great that you found this community so quickly as well!!!
I have only joined up in the last few days and it is a real blessing for me as there is so much excellent information to be found here.
Take care...