• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need Help

Hello all I found this forum after doing some research on my situation. For starters I have had issues with my stomach since I was a kid. Here recently I have lost over 20lbs and am now down to 145ilbs and I had severe diareha and just happen to notice that it had blood in my stool, which freaked me out. The more I researched the more I thought something may be wrong with me. I was on Accutane when I was a teen for severe acne and everything I have read states that it has been linked to IBD. I only have 1 BM a week and its been that way for a long time, its either hard as a rock or diareha, I constantly have back pain, abdominal pain almost like something is stabbing me in the lower left side of my abdomen. I went to the my doctors office and they said the wanted me to see a GI, while there they wanted me to do some blood work and they couldn't even find a vein to draw blood so they had to take it out of my hand. Any advice would be appreciated

Hi and welcome.

Sounds like you are already doing the right thing by seeing your doctor and getting a referral to a GI. Lets hope that they see you soon and get you on the road recovery with some appropriate treatment. Let us know how you get on.

Mark

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. I am sorry you aren't feeling well. Good move with seeing a GI. There are many tests your GI is going to suggest, and the most unpleasant is probably the best - a colonoscopy. In my opinion, if you start with the easier imaging tests, you'll end up needing a colonoscopy anyways. A colonoscopy is the most reliable test, and biopsies are the best way to make any diagnosis.

So, though it isn't ideal, I highly suggest not messing around and start your testing with a colonoscopy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Not good and sorry to hear! You Definately need to be diagnosed as soon as possible. A good GI is the best start. 1 bm a week is really not ok, you probably feel sick all the time. Dont know if you smoke or drink, but if you do, stop. They really make digestive stuff worse. I know its not easy. Dont hesitate to ask a lot of questions, read books, and talk to other in your situation. good luck!

Welcome Jwillis, I have heard about the links between Accutane and IBD as well, you are doing the best thing by seeking medical advice. I wish you the best, let us know what the doctors say, they will probably want to do numerous diagnostic tests that aid in diagnosing IBD.