Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Arthritis » Joint pain, what will make it stop?

12-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #31
outlier

My Support Groups:
i had a lot of pain that seem to be all over the place and it was really being so malnurhished from the crohn's

it could also be reactive arthritis which is short term arthritis associated with stomach issues (as well as a few other conditions). talk to your gi. getting your gut under control might do the trick
No more sulfasalazine, Methotrexate, Xibrom, Pred Forte and Iron
12-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #32
ponygirl

my boyfriend has severe CD and experiences really bad joint pain. he has osteoporosis in his spine, but get bad pain in his legs as well, especially at night (not good, he's exhaused all the time already so needs as much sleep as poss). due to the crohns he cannot take anti inflammatories. he is currently on humira injections which apparently is meant to stop joint pain caused by CD. has anyone else experienced this? any advice greatly appreciated X
12-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #33
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Which joints in his legs are affected? His knees? Does he sleep in an ergonomic position?
12-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #34
ponygirl

yes, it is mainly his knees but also his lower legs. He tends to sleep on his side?? (sorry, im not quite sure what you mean!)
12-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #35
beth

My Support Groups:
due to the crohns he cannot take anti inflammatories. he is currently on humira injections which apparently is meant to stop joint pain caused by CD. has anyone else experienced this? any advice greatly appreciated X
Yup.
Is he on weekly injections?... because he could be, if not he should ask his GI. I found the usual fortnightly injections not enough. Weekly helped by Crohn's and joint pains.
12-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #36
ponygirl

thanks, yeah i don't think this has been suggested but i guess if he asks (joints are causing alot of pain and stopping him sleeping etc) GI may consider this. were u prescribed the humira to tackle both the crohns and joint pain??
12-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #37
beth

My Support Groups:
In theory only the Crohn's, but it's helped my joints alot. GI's don't tend to care about joint pains and just refer you to a rheumy, who note you are on Humira and says that'll do then. I guess some of them might try adding in DMARDS like hydroxychloroquine but I found before that it did little.
12-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #38
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Ergonomic... means like good for your body, spine, etc. On your side it would involve having a pillow (they even make special ergonomic ones) between your knees. When you lay on your side without one, it puts a lot of pressure on your spine. If I don't sleep with a pillow between my legs I get awful sciatica, which mainly shows up in the form of leg/outer thigh pain. With osteoporosis on board I can imagine sciatica could be a possibility.

By lower legs, do you mean ankles? I'm asking because from your descriptions it doesn't really sound like joint pain (although that may be the result of you telling us rather than the person experiencing it). There aren't any joints in the lower legs, from the knees it would be the ankles and feet. I had crazy bad joint pain in my toes and fingers when I had problems with that.

How long has he been on the Humira? It's possible it could help once it reduces the inflammation. Do his joints become red, hot, or swollen? It may be worthwhile to consider Celebrex. It is an NSAID but it is SUPPOSEDLY not as dangerous as aspirin and the like. So it is considered safe for us to take. But it's at your own discretion. In a case as severe as his (where he can't sleep) he should weigh the pros and cons. He probably should be seeing a rheumy though, because it sounds pretty severe. Good luck.
12-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #39
ponygirl

thankyou. the osteopath said something about sciatica. he has been on the humira since february this year following surgery.......he doesn't seem to get any redness or swelling.

Last edited by ponygirl; 12-09-2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: missed something!!
12-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #40
beth

My Support Groups:
Some GI's are really down on celebrex/etoricoxib/etc as whilst they have much less gastro downside they do still thin the mucosal lining to some extent. A rheumy prescribed etoricoxib for me but my GI said no way. So I get by on opiate pain relief patches and top up with codeine.
12-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #41
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I have been told by my GIs that it's fine to take a regular NSAID every once in a while; I am unconvinced. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth the risk (of course, unless your doctor says NO WAY). I haven't been taking any NSAIDs including the Celebrex because I don't feel it's worth the risk. But if you're truly desperate, it's an option.
02-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #42
scottmyster

Hi Dahl, I have the same problem i have Crohn's disease and have had it for 25years now and joint pain and i have degenerating joint disease. I don't know it this is useful or not but i have found that taking Glucosamine,Chondroitin, and MSM worked wonders for me and i take acetaminophen every 4 to 6 hours at a time . They GL,Cho, and MSM usually come in the same bottle. Just take it as the instructions says and this could help alot, sense it don't interfer with other medications. Just a suggestion, take care.

Scott

“The greatest gift that you can give yourself is a little bit of your own attention.” Anthony J. D' Angelo____________________

Dx Crohns 1990
Present medication
Asacol 2400mg and prednisone and buscopan and demerol for pain
Supplements
Omega -3 fish oils
Probotic supplements
B100complex vitamin

02-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #43
Nichole

I was dx with Crohns Disease 6 yrs ago. I suffered from extreme joint pain until I started taking cymbalta last year. The pain was related to the inflammation in my large intestines & other areas of my body. The joint pain moved around - very inconsistent in location but severity was high. Cymbalta helped amazingly with the pain. I'm not sure why. I've never had problems with depression, which I was told is the main reason for taking this drug. Oh well. It works for me. This is the only drug I take on a regular basis... Besides ibuprofen about 3 days a week & the occasional medication for abdominal pain. I only take predisone & other meds when absolutely necessary.
02-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #44
David
Co-Founder

I was dx with Crohns Disease 6 yrs ago. I suffered from extreme joint pain until I started taking cymbalta last year. The pain was related to the inflammation in my large intestines & other areas of my body. The joint pain moved around - very inconsistent in location but severity was high. Cymbalta helped amazingly with the pain. I'm not sure why. I've never had problems with depression, which I was told is the main reason for taking this drug. Oh well. It works for me. This is the only drug I take on a regular basis... Besides ibuprofen about 3 days a week & the occasional medication for abdominal pain. I only take predisone & other meds when absolutely necessary.
Hi Nichole and welcome to the forum! If you'd be interested in sharing your story in our your story forum, we'd love to get to know you better and properly welcome you!

Is your GI aware that you're on ibuprofen? I ask because it's known to cause all kinds of problems for people with IBD. And have you had your vitamin D levels checked? Many people with Crohn's Disease are deficient in vitamin D and proper supplementation can help a lot with joint and body aches.
02-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #45
hugodazzle

My Support Groups:
I know exactly how you feel. The same is happening to me. Random joints. One day certain joints and then other days other joints. I was told mine was crohns arthritis. I too have been looking at the symptoms of fibromyalgia and I feel sometimes that it could be that. I have had drug induced lupus in the past and all my joints hurt me then. Are you on a anti TNF drug because it could be worth you asking about drug induced lupus when you see your rheumatologist.
03-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #46
jxarias1

Oh my dear God...I am not alone! Glad to know that I'm not going crazy after all. I have been diagnosed with Crohn's disease for fourteen years now...started with aching knees about three years ago, but nothing compared to now. (Under remission for Crohn's now.)

This past September I started noticing swelling and pain in my fingers, knuckles, and wrists. Thought I was experiencing carpotano since I do much data entry. Went to an orthopedic surgeon...said I did not have it...suggested I work out. After that, the pain left.

It came back with a vengeance this January...swelling of the fingers, wrist and elbow inflammation, knee pain, and randomly toe inflammation. SO I saw a rheumy doc...diagnosed me with arthritis of Crohn's disease...bumped up my Remicade shot to 8kg, had me on Prednisone and Sulfasalazine.

Three weeks after my infusion, all joint pain came back again. Was told to get back on steroids...and still taking Sulf..meds. Awaiting my next Remicade shot...bumped now to 10kg...Trial and error I guess!!!

Joint pain has become quite a nightmare...can't function very well.
03-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #47
Cavatina

Suffering from dreadful pain all over. GP says it's caused by my Crohn's. Getting worse - also exhaustion - sleep a lot. Going to see my Consultant on Moday so maybe she'll come up with something. I'm going to get vitamin levels - as suggested by David - so it may be that?? I've tried all the different pain killers and now on 'Butrans' patches, which help a little. Hope Monday is successful - I will post anything useful coming from the meeting. Good luck and best wishes to all who are suffering this - it's horrible!!
03-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #48
David
Co-Founder

I'm going to get vitamin levels - as suggested by David - so it may be that?
It can be a contributing factor and proper supplementation can make a big difference if you're indeed deficient. But I wouldn't go so far as to say it is only vitamin deficiency in most cases. It is most definitely worth getting checked.
03-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #49
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

The crazy thing is chrons and arthritis are all caused by inflammation. They can call it fancy fancy names, but it's all a name for inflammation. I've. Eek getting these arthritic pains as well. Is it aging? I'm almost 37. I'm trying to eat more ant inflammatory food, tea, supplements. It helps a lot. I read Nettles tea is supposed to be good for arthritis. I drink it sporadically. My fiancée uncle cured himself of prostate cancer. Y drinking a liter of nettles tea everyday for a year.
03-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #50
Cavatina

Hi - thanks for that. I do try to eat food with antioxidants. lots of different colours etc. Have low fat foods. Hoping it helps a bit. My husband is being treated for Prostate Cancer right now so we're watching both our diets!! Great fun!! Haven't tried nettle tea but will have a go - anything which might help!
03-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #51
Manatey

I have had joint pain for about 6 months that may be getting a little better since they gave me more vit to take a few weeks ago but I have had severe muscle pain out of this world in the last 3 months. In the last 2 weeks its so bad there are days I stay in bed. The docs say its due to long term high dose steroids and will get better when they lower my dose.
03-12-2012, 05:26 AM   #52
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
i wish i could believe your doc. i haven't had steroids for years. i can't do much physically either. when i exert myself i puke. hope you get better though
03-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #53
jxarias1

Hi, Manatey and Spooky1. Two nights ago I tried one pill of Meloxicam (antinflammatory for arthritis) and it worked wonders...my sis randomly gave it to me hoping that my joint pain would go away. It did!!!

I was already taking Prednisone and Sulfalasazine and were only controlling the swelling of my joints, but not the constant pain..

In a couple of days, I will be getting my Remicade infusion shot (10kg)...hopefully this helps as well.

Might want to ask your doc about Meloxicam. Hope you guys get relief.
03-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #54
Cavatina

Hi all. As promised, and as suggested by David, I've been to see my Consultant and discovered the following details re my vitamin levels etc:

Vitamin D 62.8 (should not be less than 75)
Iron 14.4 (average is 14 - 28)
Sat 22 per cent (average is 15 - 50)
B12 359 (should not be less than 190)
Folate less than 20 (average is 3 - 15)

She seemed to think that the levels were ok and wouldn't be a factor in causing my extreme pain. Anyway, she has written to my GP recommending that I be referred to rheumatology. I had a blood test for that department as well, so once again, I'll wait to hear whether they can come up with a magic answer!! I very much doubt it but will try not to be negative. It's really difficult when I'm very tired and very 'down' due to the above. Thanks to everyone for comments and advice. Anything else would be welcome. In the mean time, keep smiling folks.
03-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #55
David
Co-Founder

Not bad overall, good for you I personally feel that B12 should be over 500 and D should be over 75 but I think your going to a rheumatologist is a good idea. I hope they're able to get to the bottom of things.
03-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #56
Cavatina

Thanks David. I was quite pleased with what the Consultant said. I will, however, try to eat more Marmite (Vegemite in U.S) and try to get out in the sun more - if we ever have any! Best wishes

Chris
03-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #57
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sun, Cavatina? aren't we in Britain? LOL
03-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #58
Cavatina

Oh sorry, I forgot!!!!!! We can hope. Spring mustbe here soon though?!!
03-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #59
ifeelsick

It's been a while since I've visited the site, but my joints are absolutely KILLING me today, so I did a google search and stumbled upon the thread...

After reading a few posts, I would like to give some clarification on the use of Celebrex for joint pain/inflammation on Crohn's patients. If your doc prescribes it to you, you need to seriously question whether or not it is the right medication for you. As most, if not all, of us know, nSAIDs can be severely detrimental to our condition(s), and Celebrex is exactly that. diesanduhr is right to be leery. Personally, I have never taken the stuff as I stay as far away from nsaids as I can. My dad, though, has severe degenerative arthritis and literally would not be able to move without it. Recently he has been having bouts of severe diarrhea, often bloody. He has never been diagnosed with any type of bowel disease, but since there are a few in our family that do have severe digestive issues, he got it checked out. They did all the typical diagnostics and found nothing. He recently moved and is now under the care of a new doctor. When the doctor compared his symptoms to his medications, he said that if all the previous tests came back negative, then it is most certainly the Celebrex causing the painful, bloody diarrhea.

I know all our bodies react differently to certain medications, but I just wanted to make it known to everyone that Celebrex is no different from any other nsaid. As far as I can tell anyway. If it'll make someone who doesn't have IBD have bloody diarrhea, just imagine what it would do to us. So yeah...it's probably best to stay away from that stuff.
03-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #60
head_above_water

Ah, the joint pain. When I have flares it tends to get worse. I've had it in my shoulders and now I have it all the time in my left knee. I did not have joint pain before my diagnosis. Since my MD has forbade the use of NSaids, I take Tylenol. I also get massages - but they only help for a little while...

Taken:
Asacol
Apriso
Methotrexate
Mercaptopurine
Remicade
Flagyl
Cipro
Imuran

Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Arthritis » Joint pain, what will make it stop?