• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed Jan 2011

Hi all,
I'm was 27 when disgnosed, SHORT VERSION OF THE STORY: I just had severe upset stomach (26 days and 11kg lost) and the Dr's kept sending me away with antibiotics. I was fatigued, couldn't eat, didn't want to move, couldn't work for the terrible pain.
On the 27th day and 13th visit to the Dr I broke down and said 'I'm dying!' and was finally admitted to hospital.
I was initially suspected of having colitis, but after 4 days on nausea causing antibiotics intravenously, and prednisone - it became apparent it was Chrons. Acute - they were fearful for my life - I had no potassium in my system and my liver was reading at 4000 - (meant to be 1-20 max).
The colonoscopy has diagnosed that it is colon only and below (for which I am lucky they assure me!!!)
6 weeks off work - and slowly but surely I was off the prednisone and back to normal!!! Felt like I wasn't even sick anymore....
I had stopped smoking upon the advice of my Drs and as my health improved I slipped. I was on a strict low-fibre diet, and I started smoking again, and would occasionaly slip with the diet.
I am now having my first relapse!!!!! WHY OH WHY did I forget how terrible this disease is!
I have now given up the cigarettes for GOOD. Have put myself on a liquid only diet (going to try 48 hours - any advice???) of soups, ensure and probiotic yoghurt.
I spoke to my Dr yesterday on the telephone and I can't get into see her without going to emergency. My appointment is in 5 days.
I have a few questions for fellow sufferers though - as I had no idea forums like this existed!
1. This is my first flare up - so I don't know what to expect - flare up appears to only affect me in the morning? 6am-12pm then I am fine? But Its hard to 'go' sometimes tho I feel an urge - then sometimes I just go and go and go!
2. Does anyone else have to ignore the advice of their dietician and Dr and not 'introduce' regular food back into their diet? I literally cannot eat anything that isnt low-fibre?
3. Did anyone else experience elevated liver readings during a flare/diagnosis? My Drs were baffled and said I must have HIV/HEP/TB (which I don't after endless testing)?
4. Finally, am I treating this first flare-up right? I got sick (slightly) 11 days ago and its gradually gotten worse, but I can still come to work, I don't feel fatigued - I've lost 4kg though. I feel physically fine but I know I am not. I am going straight to bed at night when I get home and resting, taking 15mg prednisone a day and liquid diet?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: to the forum. Everyone's typical flare is different. Some with alot of pain, some when bm pass through.. I have had "special" diets but they didnt seem to make a difference. I never had liver readings, but I do know that imuran affected mine..can't take it anymore. Quitting smoking is a good idea, I quit 10 years ago and was on the advice of my gp who was studying to become a Anaestheologist (sp) and said when you smoke your chances of death is greater when you have surgery. I was having elective surgery in 6months so I quit, never looked back. I do occassionally drink Ensure when having a bad flare, it does help to rest the bowels.

Let us know what your doc says.

Welcome to the forum!!! I joined a few days ago and it has been awesome!! I was just diagnosed with CD a month ago.

I'm in the middle of a flare up right now and a change in my diet has been key!! I used to eat a lot of fast food and junk food. Over the past month I have been eating a lot of yogurt, PB and J's, ham and turkey sandwiches on white bread, carrots, bananas, a lot of seafood like salmon and tuna, steak (less fatty steaks), cottage cheese, a lot of baked potatoes (don't eat the skin), iceberg lettuce salads.

Foods that I avoid: greasy foods, fried foods, anything with seeds, fiber foods, all nuts, popcorn( I heard it's the worst), fruit with skin( apples are fine if you peel them).

It also has helped my bowel movements when I run or bike or just go on long walks. Also I drink coffee early in the morning to get things going.

I've been on predisone the past month and that has REALLY helped me eat more. However, I have make sure I don't eat giant meals cause that usually causes a lot of pain later. I just try to eat smaller meals and snacks through out the day.

Good luck with everything, it gets better! This forum is the best resource I have found!!!! Everyone here is sooo welcoming and helpful!!!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I have had bad days similar to yours. I rush in and out of the bathroom several times an hour in the AM, but then I am not too bad the rest of the day. Weird, right?

As far as diet, you need to do what works best for you. Everyone is different. I suggest keeping a food diary. Write down what you eat and any symptoms. You should be able to see patterns and determine your safe and "no-no" foods.

I sure hope this flare passing quickly and you feel well again soon!