Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Fitness and Exercise » Safely exercising on Prednisolone.

10-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
zilla7777

My Support Groups:
Safely exercising on Prednisolone.

Hey there,

Recently I have had a flare up and I have been prescribed prednisolone at 40mg for 6 weeks then taper for 8 weeks. Before my flare up I was doing weight training to attempt to gain back what flare ups constantly take away. I am wondering if it is safe for me to continue to do weight training whilst using prednisolone, and if supplements will make it safer for me.

Now for the information I only use dumbbells and exercises using your own body weight. At the moment to supplement I am taking 2 calcium tablets, one at breakfast and one at dinner. They contain 600mg of calcium carbonate along with Iron, Manganese, Magnesium and D3 in each.

Should I continue, or keep to lighter exercise until off of it? Any help would be appreciated. Also; I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong subforum, but I found it would probably either fit in the Pred or the Diet, Fitness and Supplements so I posted here.
10-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
__JK__

Hey Zilla,

Have you tried training since you started taking them? When I've been on them in the past I struggled to do any exercise. Anything that got adreneline or anxiety going would just cause real intense throbing pain in my spine and i'd have to stop. I even had to stop riding my motorbike as any close call on the road would just have me in agony.

These are evil meds. Be carefull.

JK
10-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Lydia

I had so much energy while on pred that I started The 30 Day Shred, which is a pretty intense circut training video. I felt great, and it dissipated a lot of my excess energy.

I am only at 10 mg now so the energy is gone, but the exercise habit is still there. My joints feel fine, so far.
10-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Del

I continued my running programme while I was on Pred... I had no problems..
my issues were with Imuron. I would say start easy and see how your body reacts..
Everybody is different to be honest..
See how you feel but go steady and listen to your body...
10-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Nerple

My Support Groups:
I was on prednisone for a similiar time frame as you are prescribed immediately after a flare-up. I continued with weights and cardio immediately. I had to lower the weights I did due to muscle loss but still pushed myself as much as possible and had no side effects.
10-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
zilla7777

My Support Groups:
Oh wow, that's a shame JK. Is it only in your back? I get bad cramps and such often when on pred, but they usually subside if I immediately stop what I'm doing and stay still. Even then I mostly get wrist, shoulder and knee cramps. I have tried training, and I know how it feels Nerple, after dropping 5 kilos I can't even complete 2 pull ups! Just need something to get rid of the excess energy seeing as sleeping times go completely out of whack when on them. I'm just worried from the stories of people that have gotten compression or other fractures due to pred.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Fitness and Exercise » Safely exercising on Prednisolone.