• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What happens to you if you eat lots of sugar?

I would like to know what symptoms (if any) you get if you consume something that is sugary?

If you get symptoms, what is the duration they last?

Thanks

Very bad things happen when I eat too much sugar. My stomach starts to hurt, followed by sharp cramping and nausea and of course the star of the show; Diarrhea.

This can last anywhere from a few hours to a day. Of course this is when I'm flaring. When I'm in remission I usually know better than to eat a lot of sugar and so I have small amounts everyday so I don't binge on the weekends.

I have a stoma, but even so if I eat a lot of sugar (particularly chocolate) I can guarantee I will bloat up for a good few hours and that the stoma will become quite active with gas.

It depends, if the sweets are made with regular sugar I don't notice much, however it depends on what the sugar is coupled with. Example brownies are my weakness however the chocolate gives me huge problems. I have also noticed I don't tolerate sugar substitutes well either.

Pain, pain, pain and the runs! I also don't tolerate artificial sweeteners. I'm OK with honey, tho, so cook and sweeten with it.

I have a stoma too, but sweet stuff, in particular chocolate, causes the symptoms of a flare. My skin breaks out, I get mouth ulcers, my output is awful and I generally feel terrible!

Kaz xxx

Anything sugary tends to cause bloating, pain, heartburn, nausea & diarrhea...all the wonderful symptoms of crohns...can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days...I tend to shy away from anything with sugar in it & if I crave something sweet I use stevia as a sweetener (any other sweetener doesn't agree with me either)..I'm with Grumbletum, I can tolerate some honey & use that as well as pure maple syrup for cooking to add some sweetness...