• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I need help eating

I can barely put anything in my stomach without it waging a full rebellion against me. Green veggies, once the love of my life, are now the bane of my existence. I am feeling hopeless and sad. I don’t have the slightest idea where to begin in my path to recovery. I haven’t had hardly anything substantial to eat this month. I found a list of foods on the forum that are “probably safe” and the only things on the list that sound appetizing are blueberries, bananas and carrots.

I need serious food advice and savory recipes.

PS
Does anyone know if ginger is safe? If so, I have a lovely recipe to share.

Hi there...everyone is different for figuring out what to eat...when I first got diagnosed I was eating very bland...just rice & chicken basically till my stomach settled.which took a few weeks.....when I first got diagnosed I was told I wouldn't be able to eat certain foods, etc...but I went to different dieticians to help me & finally found one I liked...she put me through the candida cleanse at first & then gave me a diet to follow...& it sounds boring...sugar free, gluten free, lactose free...was very hard at first, but now I can eat stuff I was told I probably couldn't handle !(I've been doing the diet since Sept '10). I can eat all fresh veggies again (except iceburg lettuce..I eat romaine..) and all fruits & back on nuts (except peanuts)...you learn what you can eat & it is very frustrating & time consuming, but I make all my food & all my sauces so I know what's in them. Every once in a while I can get a way with cheating a bit, but if I overload I pay ...so it's worth it to me to watch what I eat..Also, ginger is supposed to be a good anti-inflammatory for the GI tract....I used a lot of herbs & spices to help with food & have learned to make my food "more normal" so I feel normal when with the rest of my family...I have some recipes if you're ever interested...good luck!!!

bananas and lamb (not together) have always been OK for me.

pecanbread.com have a useful chart on introducing food in stages, its pretty bleak to begin with and based on the SCD diet.
(pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html)

If everything is a problem then go to the intro stage (gelatine and non-commercial grape or apple juice, pureed carrots, and some meats)

I tried the SCD diet but found i had REAL problems with the yogurt

i've gone paleo and it is working for me (eight days of real poop and counting), but it is a very limited version and i plan to add things gradually

if it doesn't fundemtally anger you, tv dinner for baby's gerber has a few and they are easy to digest mainly because they don't have a lot of spices or things that angry my heartburn you know the good stuff that makes food taste, but they don't taste to boring

What works for you can be bad for someone else.You have to try different foods and see how they affect you. Keep a diary of what you eat and you will be able to find the foods that you can tolerate. :grr1d:

I had to go to an elimination diet to figure out my bad foods. Completely back to basics and I ate just rice for two weeks while my symptoms subsided, then I'm slowly introducing foods back in, one new food a day, and keeping a journal. I'm discovering what I react to and what is ok. I've been doing it for 10 weeks now. It's hard and in past week I broke and ate some bad stuff, so I need to get back on track, but it has been working. The foods that you react to seem to be different to everyone.

SCD diet works for me

I was at an all time low, felt terrible, and weighed 120 lbs and I am six feet tall. I read "Breaking the visious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall and "Restoring your digestive health" by Jordan Rubin. And went on the SCD diet that they describe. That was in October I have gained 20 pounds and feel so much better. I have been lactose intolerant since I was a child and therefor have not had any dairy. One of the staples in the diet is yoghurt that is homemade and fermented for 24 hours. This contains no lactose and I can eat as much of it as possible. It is a great source of probiotics. I make smootheis and frozen fruit yoghurt. This diet has changed my life. I am no longer tired and sick. Try it.

Greek yogurt is typically low (or zero?) on lactose. I am moderately lactose intolerant and can eat unflavored Chiobanni yogurt. I have no trouble with ginger or any other 'whole' spice or herb (eg. when not combined with commercial flavorings - so no 'special sauce').

(20 years with UC so far)

Many (but not all) adults have decreased lactase enzyme compared with children, so are relatively lactose intolerant. IBD can also increase that sensitivity. So generally the advice is to cut down on milk or get milk products with reduced or zero lactose in them if you notice problems.

I've noticed problems with milk, so I've been dairy free (and subsequently lactose free) as well as gluten free for about 8 months now. Works for me. Sometimes when I want a treat, I'll have a cup of Soyummi pudding. It's free of refined sugar and made with soy, so lactose free. I also realized that I actually like the taste of soy milk and almond milk much more than I enjoyed milk. After all this time, I now actually hate the taste of milk when I mistakenly get it, so it makes me happy to stick with the diet that works for me.

Home-made broth is something I think more people should eat.

It's very very easy to digest and has great health benefits. Buy some Beef Bones or Chicken Carcasses, roast them for about 30 minutes, and then boil (or simmer them) for 6-24 hours. Add vegetables to the broth for additional minerals and taste (I tend to add 3 carrots and 3-4 celery sticks and an onion). Same with Herbs (French Thyme + Bay leaf makes for great broth).

When you're done making the broth, strain the liquid, and take a sive to remove the floating leaves and or small peices.

Broth will keep for about a week, I believe, and freezes exceptionally well. You can use it to "spice up" a dish such as cooking rice in broth, instead of water, or you can make soup. Cook some chicken, slice it up. Cook long grain rice and add to broth and you have a very easy to tolerate chicken soup. Add salt to taste.

As many have said, what is "safe" is a very personal issue. Unfortunately, you will likely have to figure that out for yourself.