Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » FeraMax for anemia--anyone?

10-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
happy

My Support Groups:
FeraMax for anemia--anyone?

I'm anemic and I have been given a prescription for iron injections. When I went to the pharmacy to pick up the vials, the pharmacist suggested I try FeraMax, a new (to Canada) oral non-prescription iron tablet. He said that it had fewer GI side effects than the old iron tablets that were hard on the GI system.

He said the injections are a literal pain in the butt for a long time. I will need them every two weeks.

I really need results soon--this fatigue, wooziness and fuzzy brain have got to go.

Anyone else tried this product? How about the IM iron--does it hurt that much for days afterwards?
10-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
Denise

I can't speak to having iron supplements but my mom was anemic and she had prescription iron pills. It took 6 months of treatment (3 pills a day) to get back to normal.

If your doctor ordered the injections they probably want you to get that. IM injection is faster absorbed than oral pills. I can't speak that you will get the injection into the bum but you can also get IM injections elsewhere on the body - like the arm (like a flu shot). I have had an IM injection in my bum and it hurt for about 2 to 3 days. Just like a sore muscle.

I guess the big question is what was your count at? Are you very anemic?

Sorry, I can't directly answer your question but I thought I would give my two cents about the anemia. My mom had symptoms for months before getting treatment and she was very fatigued and actually having problems breathing going up the stairs.

Good luck to you!

DX: Most likely Crohn's Disease (May 2011)
Tests: Colonscopy: mild inflammation of TI. Bx = granuloma usually indicating CD.
VCE: mild inflammation TI
SBFT: awaiting results

Meds: currently untreated as GI confused with my symptoms

Proud mommy to 2 little boys (3yr and 18m)

10-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
happy

My Support Groups:
Hi Denise,
Thanks for the info. I don't know what the units are, but the nurse said my iron was 8 and normal is 25. My TIBC (total iron-binding capacity, I think) was 30 and is supposed to be 40-80.

So you are probably right--getting the shots is probably best. I wasn't concerned about them until the pharmacist told me I should avoid them if I could.
10-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
beth

My Support Groups:
So the doctor says you should have injections and the pharmacist who doesn't know all your medical history and hasn't been trained to the level of a doctor, says you shouldn't. Who's advice are you paying for?

You have low iron because you are not absorbing enough from what you eat. Getting the shots bypasses your gut, gets the iron where it's needed. Iron tabs are notoriously hard to absorb even in the fully functional, have horrible side effects like gastritis - which you really don't need, and hide any bleeding in your guts as they make your output go black.
10-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Sha0913

I am chronically anemic but i dont do pills or injections at home, for some reason my body does not absorb iron pills or liquid, I actually go to the hospital and get Venifir transfusions. I get them 1x a week for like 6-8 weeks then my count comes up and then maybe 6 months to a year later I have it done again when my levels start dropping.
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Colossians 3:12
***I definitely have Bowels.....of Longsuffering
[SIGPIC]
10-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
happy

My Support Groups:
beth and Sha0913,
Thanks for your comments.
I am going to be my own pain in the butt today as I am starting the injections.
Hopefully I can sit down after...
10-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Denise

@ beth - good point about iron being hard to absorb!!

@happy - I'm glad that you decided to go with what your doctor recommended. I think the pharm had good intentions but didn't really think about why you needed the iron. I noticed that you are from Alberta. So am I! Where do you live?
10-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
happy

My Support Groups:
Hi Denise,
I live in Northeastern Alberta.
I just had a test dose yesterday to make sure that I didn't react to the solution. The shot was nothing--I hardly felt it. The injection site is high up on the hip, not on the fleshy part of the buttock, so sitting down after isn't a problem at all. I'm glad that I decided to have the shots rather than the pills. I actually have to go twice a week, not twice a month!
Thanks for your advice Denise, Beth and Sha0913. It really helped.
10-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Crohnadian

I've been on 3 different oral iron supplements aas well as Venofer infusions. Nothing works for me.

Surgery (stricture and small-bowel loop) on October 29th, 2010

"If you think you can win, you can win. Faith is necessary to victory."
William Hazlitt

Updated 11/15/2010
01-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
zenvesting

You should take your pharmacists advice and ask your doctor about this relatively NEW option your doc might not be aware of. Feramax is a NEW (in Canada) polysacharide iron complex, specifically designed to reduce GI side-effects and increase absorption. You don't have to do much research to find good reviews of this new product, it is way better than conventional iron supplements, here's one:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/4698267-post5.html
01-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
happy

My Support Groups:
Welcome to the forum zenvesting!
Thank you for the info. My levels came up fairly quickly with the injections. I will be getting my levels tested again soon. If I need to take something longterm, I'l give the FeraMax a try.
01-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
ekay03
My dog has hands!

I ge an upset tummy from iron so this is good to know. Thank you for this info. I will ask my doctor about it next time I go
Nexium
Buspar
Zoloft
amlodipine
clonidine
Ferrous Sulfate
Folic acid
multivitamin
Bentyl as needed
Lyrica x2 daily for pain
Norco as needed for pain
Ondansetron as needed for nausea
Miacalcin for the bones
That's a lot of stuff, but I feel good

Friend me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=580468712

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » FeraMax for anemia--anyone?