• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story.

Hey everyone, so here's a bit about my story.
I am 20 years old, and didn't even knew this existed until I was diagnosed. In June of 2010 i began to have stomach aches all the time, and was losing weight very quickly. I started to get dark spots all over my legs, which my family doctor thought were bites and put me on so much unneeded medication. Then one day I went to emerge because I had such bad stomach pains and that's when they decided to start doing tests on me.
I had scopes done and they determined that it was crohn's. I had experienced bad stomach pains throughout high school but never thought much of it. I was on a lot of medicine when they first diagnosed me, something like 16 pills a day, but now I'm down to just one medicine, Imuran.
I'm a lot better now, just over a year later. I've gained weight back (which I'm not thrilled about lol) but my stomach doesn't bother me much anymore. I never thought I'd have something I needed to treat for the rest of my life, especially starting this young.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Amanda :bigwave: welcome to the forum. Many of us in prior to diagnosis, get cramps, unknown flu's or virus', time of the month extra pains, and just tired all the time or intermitten diahreah episodes. Some get it acute and get diagnosed right away , some never do get a full diagnosis. I know about all of the meds, when I was 32 and diagnosed I was on 27 diffferent pills a day .:stinks:

Now I am tapering pred to 10mg , fast taper as I am just getting off a flare. Hopefully you are on of the lucky ones and don't have it too bad. Just eat well, sleep well and avoid stress. Glad you are aboard, hope you stick around and join the crew. Many people here your age!:smile:

Welcome, I just joined the site myself and have found it enjoyable thus far. Did they ever explain the spots on the legs? I hadn't heard of that before.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum Amanda.Lynne!

I am glad you are doing better now. Even though I can worry about my weight also, I try to remember that the most important thing is that I am healthy and nothing else is worth worrying about.

Looking forwad to seeing you around the forum!

Welcome, I just joined the site myself and have found it enjoyable thus far. Did they ever explain the spots on the legs? I hadn't heard of that before.
Ya, they said it's very common for young adults to get them prior to being diagnosed. I was lucky I guess, cause some people get them all over there body. They're very sore and can leave scars. I don't know what they're called but I'm glad you didn't get them

Hello Amanda and welcome to the forum...:)
It can come as a bit of a shock the "for life" part more then the disease..
I still remember that more then the name of the disease itself, when my GI told me too.
At least I got into my 40s before been told that....but who knows...we could be living in the age of a cure..:)
Take care..

Hi Amanda,

I have heard about these spots on the legs being a symptom of Crohns. I had them before I was diagnosed.

Hi Del,

You mentioned on another post that you were 47 when diagnosed. So was I. I feel lucky, like you, that I have got to this age before being diagnosed. At least I have had my kids etc. However, for you young ones, if diagnosed early enough you can get treatment sooner.

Love Kaz xxx