Share Facebook

10-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
AshleyElaine87

Bed rest

Has anyone been put on bed rest while pregnant because of their Crohn's? If so, how and why were you put on bed rest? Thanks!
10-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Mapper

I haven't been put on bed rest, but I would be interested if any one had that experience. Have you been put on bed rest?

Mapper
10-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
LindaS

My Support Groups:
I was put on short term disability for 3 and a half weeks when I was pregnant. It was a combination of a Crohn's flare and hyperemisis. Then at the end of the pregnancy I was put on bed rest for pre-eclampsia. Fortunately, I wasn't put in the hospital, I was allowed to stay at home for my bed rest.

Have you been put on bed rest? Or just restricted activity?
10-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
AshleyElaine87

No, I haven't been put on bed rest yet. I am thinking it's a good idea, and the doctors are throwing it around, but thus far, nothing as been done. I was just wondering if Crohn's is something they would do that for. I am losing a lot of weight and get sick every time I move. Or so it feels, lol.
10-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
muppet

What's hyperemesis? Is that a nice way to say "vomiting like a fountain"?
10-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
LindaS

My Support Groups:
What's hyperemesis? Is that a nice way to say "vomiting like a fountain"?
Yes, it is the medical term for non-stop vomiting in pregnancy.
10-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
AshleyElaine87

How did they determine hyperemesis?
10-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
LindaS

My Support Groups:
If I recall, and this was about 8 years ago so I could be remembering wrong, it is vomiting more than 5 times a day most days. I was vomiting about 15 times per day. I was also flaring, so I had lost about 20 pounds when they put me on a PICC line so I could do IV fluids at home 3 times per day.
10-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Nerple

My Support Groups:
I've been put on absolute strict bed rest twice in my life, neither from Crohn's though, and obviously not while pregnant. The first was from a DVT/Thrombophlebitis and the second just from Thrombophlebitis. Oddly enough bedrest causes DVT's. But I will say this.... it absolutely blows, especially if it's 100%, no bathroom, no bathing, no anything. I wouldn't go on it unless absolutely necessary, there are a lot of health risks with strict bedrest, and you get fun shots in the stomach twice daily that bruise badly.
10-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
AshleyElaine87

Huh; my mom had a DVT in her jugular...Anyways, I am not looking forward to it; if it happens, but maybe I won't get 100%
10-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Cornfieldgal

My Support Groups:
Hey there I was on bed rest with both my munchkins. They both tried to come early so with my eldest I was on bed rest the last six weeks and with the youngest for 12 weeks. It blows but I managed to carry them both almost to term (2 weeks early and 4 weeks early).
10-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
sararay

I was put on bed-rest for the last month of my pregnancy (carried to term) but it wasn't for Crohns. I had high blood pressure that was controlled with bed-rest. It made the last month drag on but from what I hear that is pretty normal. They only hospitalize you if bed rest at home doesn't control the blood pressure.
10-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
QuicksWife

I've heard that if you are flaring when you find out your pregnant, you will flair the whole time you are preggo. Is this true??
Born with out Thyroid & deaf in left ear.
10-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
AshleyElaine87

I have the constipation Crohn's. I am losing weight and it's now been over a week since my last BM. I have a history of obstructions, and I think that's why they're wanting me in a more controlled situation. I forget to eat...I know I am pregnant, but this all happened my first pregnancy. I am just not wanting the baby is be in harms way.
10-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
AshleyElaine87

I have heard that too; in my experience, pregnancy seems to bring on the flare! But what I've read, most people do wonderfully during pregnancy!
10-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
sararay

I had constipation when I was pregnant but that is a normal pregnancy thing. I did not have flare ups. They had me taking benefiber 2x per day, colace 3 times per day and magnesium citrate if I didn't have a BM for two days to prevent a blockage. Do check if this is ok with your OB, though. Some people do and some go into remission when they are pregnant.
10-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
AshleyElaine87

Well, my OB called this afternoon, and I am now sitting in a hospital bed. They are trying to get me to have a BM, and they want to make sure there's not blood. I have never had blood in my stool, so not sure why they're looking now. Anyways, the GI at the hospital doesn't think I am obstructed, which should be good, but I now feel really silly! I am missing a lot this weekend being here for constipation! Arg!