Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Have i over done it?

10-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
adrian mcdonnell

Have i over done it?

I started back to work 3 weeks ago, only doing around 5 hrs a day. I am an electrical engineer therefore my job is more mental stress than physical. For the last 3 weeks i have just been working on my computer on nothing to stressful but the last 4 days i have felt very tired and then on Wednesday i hit a brick wall (not Littrerally). I went to see my GP who took a lot of blood to test for various things and all the results came back normal, such as Thyroid level, HB levels, ferrite and flamatory markers.

I have not felt fatigue like this since i had chemo earlier this year, Thursday for example i went to bed at 10.00p.m and did not get out of bed until 4 p.m Friday and then i went back to bed at 12.00 a.m and did not get out of bed until 3p.m on Saturday. I wish i could explain the reason for feeling so deflated, i thought it was my Chrohns as i have been getting a lot of nasty ulcers on my tongue for approx 8 weeks, i have also noticed that i have quite a few very small black marks on my stoma. Has anyone got any ideas or is it just that i am over doing it at work, which is what the GP suggests? I am due to see my consultant this Tuesday and really hope he can find what is causing this fatigue.
10-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
hopeful

My Support Groups:
how long since your op?
10-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
adrian mcdonnell

13 weeks
10-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
hopeful

My Support Groups:
sounds early yet. But thyroid at some labs normal is up to 5, and some labs 2 or 3. So question is where it is. And what about B12 levels. That could make a BIG difference in energy.
10-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Adrian, yes your B12 and Iron levels should be checked. I have to say that it took 3 months to feel human, and 6 months to feel 'normal' after my op. Which was open emergency surgery for me. So yes, you can feel that fatigued.

However, I would continue to have ALL my markers for Crohns checked if I were you CRP, etc. Check your temp(although I had infections and not a single temp, all normal)

Another thing we really have a problem with is dehydration. Seriously drink ALOT of fluids. It can creep up on you! And knock you out!

Easy does it on working. Yes..that was the LAST thing I wanted to do. But your body is telling you something, and you need to listen! Maybe less out in the field and more working from home for the next 3 to 4 weeks if at all possible?
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
11-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
ameslouise

Agree with everything Misty says above!! Get those levels checked, and take it easy. It took me forever to get my energy back.

Hang in there - Amy

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Have i over done it?